Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Cat Found (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16531)

Call of the Isle 09-14-2013 01:07 PM

Cat Found

Anyone lose a cat/kitten on the island? Tri-color tiger cat. Came up today to find one under our deck. Saw it several times but not long enough to collect it. We are at Lot 492 & will be here through Tuesday. We have a small dog so it may not be easy to coax inside.

Pricestavern 09-14-2013 06:11 PM

Please let us know if it's claimed

Please keep us informed as to whether someone claims the cat. I very much hope so!

Call of the Isle 09-15-2013 06:32 AM

Will do

Saw cat again this morning, and so did our dog, who chased it next door, so it's still around. Will work today to see if we can coax it to us. My first glimpse: smaller than our 7.5 lb long-coated Chihuahua, mostly gray, kind of flat face, cute, I would say young. Please pass this along to neighbors. Thanks.

Call of the Isle 09-15-2013 08:04 PM

Cat still here

Well, the cat is still under our deck, despite being chased by our "vicious" dog. Certainly hope it was not abandoned. It's new to this area of the island but can't be sure where its been. We still think its a pretty young cat/kitten.

Chaselady 09-15-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Call of the Isle (Post 212337)
Well, the cat is still under our deck, despite being chased by our "vicious" dog. Certainly hope it was not abandoned. It's new to this area of the island but can't be sure where its been. We still think its a pretty young cat/kitten.

Did you post info around your island? There may be a lot of people on your island that are not forum members.

Call of the Isle 09-18-2013 12:41 PM

We spoke to neighbors on both sides of us & beyond. No luck.
As of Wed AM, cat has not been seen for 2 days. Hope it made it home...

Pricestavern 09-23-2013 09:04 PM

Saw Cat This Evening

Saw a tiger-stripe cat on our deck briefly this evening around 10pm. Not sure if it is same as the one that started this thread. We are at 624 Rattlesnake on the southeastern point. This cat was def not a kitten. Short hair with tufts of long fur around the ears. Is this anyones cat? Not too many people left on the island these days. We ourselves will be closing up this weekend and hate to think the poor cat will be left here on the island to face the winter. Anyone?

Lakesrider 09-24-2013 08:54 AM

If someone were to catch it I would take it....If you could get it to the main land....I would also hate to think it was left there, or could be left there for the winter....:(

Rattlesnake Gal 09-27-2013 07:17 AM

Island Cat

I will keep an eye out for the cat. We'll be here for a while yet. Cats are pretty amazing creatures that often can take care of themselves. Many, many years ago, we would rent a cottage for a couple of months on Lake Contoocook in Jaffrey. Our cat, Satan, was no where to be found when it was time to head home. For months we would go back and look for him, eventually giving up hope, figuring that something had got him. The next summer, guess who was sitting on the step waiting for us?! :D Let's hope this island cat will find its was back to its people.

Pricestavern 09-27-2013 07:51 AM

Cat Seen Again

We saw the cat again yesterday. We put a plate of cat food out for it overnight and yesterday morning it was gone. Caught a glimpse of the feline running away from our cabin yesterday afternoon. Last night we set out some more food, but as of this morning no takers.

Rattlesnake Gal 09-27-2013 08:13 AM

Cat

Want to borrow our large Have a Heart trap?

donnamatrix 09-27-2013 09:48 AM

Try this

Get a Hav-a-Heart trap, try to set the closed end of it up against a building - like under the porch or something. Put a small dish of tuna into the trap - beyond the plate that the cat has to step on to close the cage ... it should work. Several years ago, a family on our road moved away. They took the kids, the dog .... left the cat. Just left it. It sat on the porch of the house, or under the deck. It took us 2 weeks to trap it. A cute little, part-Siamese cat. We couldn't keep it because we already had 2 cats. But a friend at Humane Society came and took the cat, it passed the quarantine and is now living a life of safety and leisure in Alton. If you trap the cat and need help to get to mainland for Lakesrider, send me a PM, we will come get the cat. Lakesrider, if that happens, I will PM you (you live right up the road from us)-Donna

Pricestavern 09-27-2013 09:57 AM

Yes, Please!

Rattlesnake Gal - yes, I'd like to borrow your trap. I will stop by today. Thanks!
We are closing camp on Sunday so that doesn't give us much of a window - tonight and tomorrow night, but it's worth the attempt.

Lakesrider 09-27-2013 02:27 PM

Thanks.....Pricestavern, if you leave is there anyone left on the island that would feed it?

Rattlesnake Gal 09-27-2013 04:47 PM

Trap

Pricestavern, sorry we missed you when you came by for the trap. I had put it on the dock in case you came while we were under the camp working on the pump... again. :rolleye2: I also meant to grab a can of chicken as bait. if you need it, let me know. Good luck! I hope that you catch the kitty and I further hope that the owners can be found. It would really be unfortunate to relocate it if the owners are still here enjoying the island. :eek: We've got another six or seven weeks of camp time yet. :D

Pricestavern 09-27-2013 07:50 PM

Let's Hope

Thanks for the trap. A nice can of Frisky's Tuna & Egg (our cats always loved this) and the trap is set under our cabin about where the plate was that was eaten. I will be staying up a few days longer (not the six plus weeks like you lucky folk), so we have a little more time. Will keep you informed.

Lakesrider and Donna: though we have not met I think you are Angels

-R

Lakesrider 09-29-2013 09:55 AM

I already know of someone that will adopt the cat if no owners are found. It will go to a good home though. Either mine or our friend that said she would take it depending on it's overall health. She has another cat and does not want to get it sick. I'll most likely have it tested for feline Leukemia and get it it's shots not knowing it's health history and all....Hopefully it has not gotten too feral with all it's time out in the wild....
I just hope it gets reclaimed by someone out there on the island. Plus I leave for Florida from Friday the 4th until Oct 13th in the late evening.....

SIKSUKR 09-30-2013 08:49 AM

Carefull with your trap

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 212896)
Get a Hav-a-Heart trap,

My sister has been feeding a cat(or so she thinks) for a few months living near the mill buildings in Manchester. The other day she put out our have-a-heart trap the try and catch it. Next morning she has a possum in the trap.:eek:

Pricestavern 09-30-2013 08:57 AM

Nothing Yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 212990)
My sister has been feeding a cat(or so she thinks) for a few months living near the mill buildings in Manchester. The other day she put out our have-a-heart trap the try and catch it. Next morning she has a possum in the trap.:eek:

I've been curious what else I might end up with. Lord help me if it's a skunk! So far though, nothing at all :(

Rattlesnake Gal 09-30-2013 09:22 AM

Trap

Do we have skunks on the island?! :eek: Did I mention that I would like the trap back after it's been emptied?! :laugh: