Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sawyer's is open! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26985)

Slickcraft 05-07-2021 02:20 PM

Sawyer's is open!

Stopped by today and had ice cream sitting outside on a bench in the sun. Black raspberry for me and mint choc chip for her. A very pleasant stop!

chachee52 05-07-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 354937)
Stopped by today and had ice cream sitting outside on a bench in the sun. Black raspberry for me and mint choc chip for her. A very pleasant stop!

Saw that on the way up. Was surprised they opened so early this year.

Descant 05-07-2021 08:52 PM

Standard

Favorite standard: Cheeseburger, O Rings an a Coffee Frappe. Unfortunately, this is allowed only once a year. Maybe a little more in 2021? Not gourmet, but walking distance, and Daisy can join us outdoors.

thinkxingu 05-08-2021 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 354953)
Favorite standard: Cheeseburger, O Rings an a Coffee Frappe. Unfortunately, this is allowed only once a year. Maybe a little more in 2021? Not gourmet, but walking distance, and Daisy can join us outdoors.

Is this place legit, or has it become an overpriced tourist trap that you visit out of nostalgia? We drive by a few times a summer but have never stopped because of so many comments about the latter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

winniwannabe 05-08-2021 04:36 AM

My husband and I go a couple times. Only for the frappes though; the
food isn't as good as it used to be. just my opinion.

Slickcraft 05-08-2021 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 354955)
Is this place legit, or has it become an overpriced tourist trap that you visit out of nostalgia? We drive by a few times a summer but have never stopped because of so many comments about the latter.

We stop for the ice cream which is very good. Of course some have exacting standards for ice cream which Sawyer's may or may not meet:D

ApS 05-08-2021 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 354951)
Saw that on the way up.

Was surprised they opened so early this year.

Because so many other places are closed, and they've got a jump with their staffing?

MeredithMan 05-08-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 354955)

For a fry-shack, it's pretty good. Like the fried clams, fried shrimp, and onion rings. We're not really fried-food people, so going there once a season is enough. Ice cream is very good...lotta flavor choices. As a point of comparison, waaaaaayyy better than Tamarack, which is a total tourist-trap, with crazy long waits, dirty tables and way-overpriced, sucky food.

(just our opinion....your mileage may vary)

Descant 05-08-2021 10:47 AM

Location, location, location

1. Sawyer's is several hundred feet from my boat slip. 5 stars
2. Outdoor tables where I can bring my dog. 5 stars
3. Great ice cream. 5 stars
4. It was never gourmet food--don't try to judge it as such. 3 stars

By comparison, Patrick's Pub is across the street. Haven't been there in years.

MeredithMan 05-08-2021 11:22 AM

Johnson's...

....all this talk of fry-shacks reminded me of Johnson's in New Durham. Not exactly a lake place...a short ride past Alton Bay...but excellent fried food and insanely good ice cream!

BroadHopper 05-08-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 354980)
For a fry-shack, it's pretty good. Like the fried clams, fried shrimp, and onion rings. We're not really fried-food people, so going there once a season is enough. Ice cream is very good...lotta flavor choices. As a point of comparison, waaaaaayyy better than Tamarack, which is a total tourist-trap, with crazy long waits, dirty tables and way-overpriced, sucky food.

(just our opinion....your mileage may vary)

Second this. Since Jack left, it has gone way downhill. I have to admit the way overpriced Gifford ice cream is good. It can be had elsewhere for less.

drwamcross 05-08-2021 03:58 PM

Sawyers makes their own ice cream

Saywers is owned by an older couple; she arrives many mornings at 5am to make their ice cream.

XCR-700 06-27-2021 01:19 PM

Been going there just short of 60 years and still love it.

Coffee frappes are the best we have had. Burgers, hotdogs, coleslaw, onion rings, etc always reliable and meet my expectations.

Staff are always friendly and its always clean.

Is it an upscale high class fancy restaurant, NO, for me its better, its more like a 50's drive in burger place and one I look forward to going to every year.

LOVE Sawyers!