Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Loon habits (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24946)

Nagigator 08-31-2019 11:21 AM

Loon habits

Stayed in Winnisquam last week at the very northern end of the lake. Rather large cove was full of loons. Watched a juvenile come to our shore at least three times over the week, get out, waddle a couple of feet and defecate. He then went right back to the water and swam away. I never realized they came to shore or on land to do their business!

Hillcountry 08-31-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagigator (Post 318694)
Stayed in Winnisquam last week at the very northern end of the lake. Rather large cove was full of loons. Watched a juvenile come to our shore at least three times over the week, get out, waddle a couple of feet and defecate. He then went right back to the water and swam away. I never realized they came to shore or on land to do their business!

That area is the Winnisquam loon sanctuary...as for the coming ashore to pinch a loaf...don't know if that's standard behavior.

Barney Bear 08-31-2019 03:21 PM

Ugh!

........and Momma Bear is baking meat loaf for supper tonight. 🐻

Hillcountry 08-31-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 318704)

Mmmmm...meatloaf! Hope she has mashed ‘n gravy to go with!

upthesaukee 08-31-2019 10:23 PM

Mmmmmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 318704)

Mmmmmmm, and she needs to make two meatloafs, one for dinner and one for sandwiches the next day.

tis 09-01-2019 04:54 AM

To get back to the subject, I never heard of such a thing either. That sounds strange.

ApS 09-01-2019 05:38 AM

Loons Don't "Waddle"...

Loons have their feet positioned far back on their bodies, and move across moist land like penguins propel themselves across ice--that is, on their bellies.

Loons' "scat", such that it is, should be totally milky-white.

Nagigator 09-01-2019 07:11 AM

Perhaps waddle was not the right word, but the scat was indeed milky white and a lot to clean up.

Lakegeezer 09-01-2019 12:04 PM

Not the only example

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 318715)
To get back to the subject, I never heard of such a thing either. That sounds strange.

At the Loon Center's annual meeting a few weeks ago, a loon photographer from the Derry area showed videos of loons getting on shore to take care of business. He said it seemed unusual to him, a long time loon watcher, but now with another example, maybe we are learning something new.

tis 09-01-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 318733)
At the Loon Center's annual meeting a few weeks ago, a loon photographer from the Derry area showed videos of loons getting on shore to take care of business. He said it seemed unusual to him, a long time loon watcher, but now with another example, maybe we are learning something new.

We must be. Thanks for the official report, Lake. I am fascinated. I have watched the loons for years and also never have seen it.

SAMIAM 09-02-2019 07:01 AM

One was hanging out for an hour or so just 10' from our shoreline in shallow water. Unusual to see because they seldom stray from deep water and was worried that it might have been injured but it finally left and looked fine.
Also a group of five has been cruising around this week. Boaters keep approaching for pictures despite warning signs.

Nagigator 09-30-2019 04:15 PM

Was back at Winnisquam again last week and observed the same behavior I noted before just about every day. Usually close to sunset. Also noticed the adult and juvenile swimming very close to shore, above and under the water several times. They did not seem timid, and seemed to like the fishing near our beach.

rick35 09-30-2019 09:59 PM

We’ve had a loon coming in closer to shore than usual. The feathers didn’t look normal and I thought the loon might have been distressed. I called the Loon Preservation Committee today and talked to a biologist. I was told that loons are molting and changing to their winter plumage which explains why it looked different than usual. And he said they may behave differently this time of year which probably explains why it was closer in than normal. The biologist said it would be abnormal if the loon came to shore but from what I described he thought it was fine.

ApS 10-01-2019 03:46 AM

Wakes and Why Crayfish Have Become Scarce...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 318774)
One was hanging out for an hour or so just 10' from our shoreline in shallow water. Unusual to see because they seldom stray from deep water and was worried that it might have been injured but it finally left and looked fine.
Also a group of five has been cruising around this week. Boaters keep approaching for pictures despite warning signs.

Loons in summer usually troll our shoreline in about 20-feet of water. Now that "drawdown" has receded the shoreline away from rocky habitat, they're trolling in about 10-feet of water depth.

Encouraged by the low water level, I started rearranging the rocks along our shoreline. I came across the second crayfish of the season. :look: However, he wasn't sheltering among the rocks, but under an iron "U" channel, temporarily lying in about 18-inches of water. :eek2: He had blue claws, so he was a "seasoned" adult.

I'm guessing crayfish' "hideaways" are becoming scarce, so predators (fish and fowl) are on the hunt for the few crayfish that have survived this summer's "wake-thrashing" among Lake Winnipesaukee's rocky shorelines.

In the last 30-40 years of rearranging rocks, I've yet to see any crayfish under five inches. :confused:

(Although I could see them in Tasmania, where river crayfish grow to 15 pounds!)

:eek: