Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Trim Control not working ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24834)

bigdog 08-07-2019 11:00 AM

Trim Control not working ?

The 'trim control' does not work on my Mercruiser Alpha II. 2001 vintage.

Thoughts from Forum to trouble-shoot the cause ?
Is this an easy DIY fix ? Cost to replace sending unit ?

Thanks !

Biggd 08-07-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 316932)

Thanks !

I had to replace the trim solenoids on my mercruiser IO. Mine were clicking when I hit the button. There were 2, one for up and one for down.

BroadHopper 08-07-2019 11:25 AM

which trim?

There are transom trim as well as I/O so I am assuming the outdrive.
At that age I'm suspecting the switch on your throttle/shift lever. If you can raise the outdrive with your trailer switch the switch is gone.
If neither works, see if the trim has a circuit breaker, check that.
If that checks out check fluid level in the reservoir. If low top with power steering fluid.
If it is OK so far than have the local technician check it out.

ishoot308 08-07-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 316932)

Thanks !

Before doing anything and with your battery switch off, try spraying around the up - down control button on your throttle shift lever with electronics cleaner. Let dry for a few minutes then try it.

This is pretty standard operating procedure on a couple of my boats every couple years. Seems like grime and corrosion easily gets around the button and affects the contacts in the switch.

Use ONLY electronics cleaner nothing else!

Dan

bigdog 08-08-2019 06:41 AM

Apologies ! I should have been more specific as I led folks down the wrong path !

My trim is working, both at the shift lever control and at transom switch.
No issues with either.

The issue is on my trim dashboard gauge, that is not working !

Sorry about the confusiion......

ishoot308 08-08-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 317034)
Apologies ! I should have been more specific as I led folks down the wrong path !

My trim is working, both at the shift lever control and at transom switch.
No issues with either.

The issue is on my trim dashboard gauge, that is not working !

Sorry about the confusiion......

OK that is quite different...

Make sure your kill switch tether is properly attached. If its not, your engine will still start but some of your gauges may not work. Just something simple to check before replacing gauges or similar...

Dan

bigdog 08-08-2019 10:08 AM

Kill switch is tethered !

Engine always starts no issue there, the problem is the trim gauge does not show any angle the motor/tilt is in, when I trim the engine in and out at the throttle. I know the trim is working because I can feel and hear the engine trimming when running. I have also tested the trim when at the, and can see the engine go up & down.

I'm thinking now that the trim gauge is the issue. I have checked the connections to the gauge and all is good. Gauges do go bad !

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 317036)
OK that is quite different...

Make sure your kill switch tether is properly attached. If its not, your engine will still start but some of your gauges may not work. Just something simple to check before replacing gauges or similar...

Dan

billy 08-08-2019 10:51 AM

...most likely the trim sensor which is located on the outdrive. check iboats forum if you want to try the repair/replacement yourself.

bigdog 08-10-2019 12:06 PM

I see the Trim switches on both sides of the outdrive, Starboard & Port.

I checked the IBoat website on how to adjust the switches, but confused ?
Does anyone know if both switches need to be adjusted separated ?

Thanks !

bigdog 08-10-2019 12:25 PM

Just did some more research and found that the Starboard side trim switch, is used to adjust the dash gauge, and the Port side switch is used to adjust the 'Stop' limit to the outdrive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 317250)

Thanks !

Top-Water 08-10-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 317250)

Thanks !

Dam if i can remember correctly, just got out of the hospital last week, separate one side is the gauge side the other is the limit switch side.

Is this the type that uses two fingers to raise the motor up high.

Dave R 08-12-2019 12:28 PM

You likely just need the starboard side sender disc, but it may be as simple as a disconnected wire in the engine compartment. The wires to the sender and solid black and have bullet connectors. It should connect to one solid black wire to ground and a brown and white wire to the gauge. If either is discponnected, it won't work.

If it's just the disc, you can buy it for like 20 bucks. Part number is 805134A4 They can be swapped easily by turning the wheel hard to port and popping the cap off the sender. They are vert challenging to calibrate though, so mark it carefully before you take any screws out or take the disc out.

You rarely need to replace the whole sender, BTW.

LIforrelaxin 08-12-2019 01:05 PM

On an 18 year old boat, I would not worry about the guage not working... On my volvo, I replaced the send a few years back, and it worked great for a few more years..... it gone south again, and now, I just don't worry about it....