Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Island TV connections (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22579)

rulisullo 09-04-2017 10:21 AM

Island TV connections

What device is used on Cow Island to get the best TV reception. I have been researching Slingbox and wondered if anyone uses that or another Wifi service to stream shows/ local networks? I think from what I have found antennas are not very effective. Direct TV wants a year round contract. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

escaped from NJ 09-04-2017 11:27 AM

TV reception on Cow island

We are on Little Bear and we finally solved our lack of TV coverage issue this year. We got high speed internet from Fairpoint for six months; they allow you to turn it off and on. Also use Roku and get all the channels we get at home (through Spectrum) like HBO and ESPN. We have no streaming issues. Before this (and currently) we have an antenna and we get ABC, NBC and depending on weather, we sometimes get CBS. Watching US Open now with a perfect picture. Go Rafa!

Slickcraft 09-04-2017 05:52 PM

On the west side of Welch we can receive ch 31 NBC and 41 PBS out of Vermont with a high gain UHF antenna. If we were on the east side we could get 6 and 8 from Maine with a high band VHF/UHF hybrid antenna.

FairPoint DSL gives us only low/medium speed internet however that is enough to stream video via the ROKU. Netflix works well as do many other ROKU channels such as News On via which we can watch Ch 9 news. I can also stream to the TV from my phone, via chrome cast, which is connected to wifi, NFL games. OK a bit of set-up but you get to see the game!

Rattlesnake Gal 09-04-2017 07:12 PM

Spectrum

Quote:

Originally Posted by escaped from NJ (Post 285190)
We are on Little Bear and we finally solved our lack of TV coverage issue this year. We got high speed internet from Fairpoint for six months; they allow you to turn it off and on. Also use Roku and get all the channels we get at home (through Spectrum) like HBO and ESPN. We have no streaming issues. Before this (and currently) we have an antenna and we get ABC, NBC and depending on weather, we sometimes get CBS. Watching US Open now with a perfect picture. Go Rafa!

Do you access Spectrum from the Roku box? We had trouble with spectrum app when we tried to show on the TV. We got a message that we can only mirror to TV if we are using Spectrum internet. Think they miss the point of taking it with you. Watching Game of Thrones huddled around the iPad just isn't the same. Thanks for any info.

escaped from NJ 09-05-2017 08:02 AM

TV on Island

Not using Spectrum app - Roku uses our wireless and then we individually use our cable credentials to access each app (Netflix, Hulu). We signed in with our cable account to each individual channel once (e.g. ESPN) to show we are paying for it at home and then we linked in on the Roku.

Rattlesnake Gal 09-05-2017 02:15 PM

Ty

Quote:

Originally Posted by escaped from NJ (Post 285246)
Not using Spectrum app - Roku uses our wireless and then we individually use our cable credentials to access each app (Netflix, Hulu). We signed in with our cable account to each individual channel once (e.g. ESPN) to show we are paying for it at home and then we linked in on the Roku.

Thank you for the helpful information! I hope we can make this work.