Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   No more reciprocal weekend (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23901)

SAB1 10-04-2018 12:58 PM

No more reciprocal weekend

CONCORD, NH – For the past seven years, snowmobile enthusiasts have been able to explore new trails across northern New England during the last weekend in January under a single snowmobile registration. That weekend has been the annual Tri-State Reciprocity Weekend where snowmobiles registered in Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire could legally ride in any of the three states. Maine and Vermont have changed their laws to allow a free weekend, however, so reciprocal agreements with neighboring states are no longer needed.

A free weekend means registration is not required, so the agreement to allow snowmobiles registered in one of the other two states is no longer needed for Vermont or Maine. New Hampshire’s law, however, requires that in order for snowmobiles registered in Vermont or Maine to operate here in New Hampshire with their respective registrations, New Hampshire–registered snowmobiles must be allowed to operate in those states during the same time period. In changing their laws, Maine and Vermont also changed their free weekend to the first weekend in February from the last weekend in January.

“Unfortunately, not only did Maine and Vermont change their laws, but they changed them after we had finalized ours here in New Hampshire so there is no way to have a reciprocity weekend going forward,” said Capt. Dave Walsh, who coordinates snowmobile and off highway recreational vehicle enforcement, registration, and safety education for New Hampshire. “This weekend was one of the highlights of the winter for many residents and non-residents, but we certainly still have many miles of great trails for riding here in New Hampshire.”

So, beginning with this upcoming riding season, to snowmobile in New Hampshire, a state snowmobile registration will be required even for the last weekend in January. Snowmobiling has become one of the most popular forms of winter recreation in New Hampshire, and with almost 7,000 miles of established snowmobile trails spanning the Granite State, residents and visitors can explore the natural beauty of New Hampshire’s diverse landscape.

To learn more about snowmobiling in the state, visit www.wildnh.com/ohrv.:(

fatlazyless 10-04-2018 06:52 PM

So, could someone from Meredith, NH who has a totally unregistered snowmobile, trailer it to Maine and go hit the Maine trails for the first weekend in February without paying any registration fee with this ME/VT freebie weekend?

Skip 10-05-2018 06:44 AM

Registration required in all participating States.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 303213)
So, could someone from Meredith, NH who has a totally unregistered snowmobile, trailer it to Maine and go hit the Maine trails for the first weekend in February without paying any registration fee with this ME/VT freebie weekend?

No. In order to participate in any State that offers reciprocity the sled must be legally registered in one of the participating states and the operator must abide by all rules/regulations of the guest State they are riding in. For example, in the past, Vermont normally required an operator to carry a nominal amount of insurance, whereas there was no such requirement in NH. NH riders that went to Vermont needed to have proof of insurance or they could be cited by Vermont authorities.

fatlazyless 10-06-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Maine and Vermont have changed their laws to allow a free weekend, however, so reciprocal agreements with neighboring states are no longer needed.
Last time I went snowmobiling was in '68 on a Johnson sno-mo, as I recall, but doesn't this line from above say reciprocal agreements with neighboring states are no longer needed?

Outdoorsman 10-08-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 303297)
Maine and Vermont have changed their laws to allow a free weekend, however, so reciprocal agreements with neighboring states are no longer needed.

Quote:

Last time I went snowmobiling was in '68 on a Johnson sno-mo, as I recall, but doesn't this line from above say reciprocal agreements with neighboring states are no longer needed?
Instead of picking and choosing what you want to believe, try reading the entire post!

I understand that you think your BS posts are "funny" but they are misleading and confusing and could very well be misinterpreted by those that do not choose to bypass your nonsense.

Quote:

CONCORD, NH – For the past seven years, snowmobile enthusiasts have been able to explore new trails across northern New England during the last weekend in January under a single snowmobile registration. That weekend has been the annual Tri-State Reciprocity Weekend where snowmobiles registered in Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire could legally ride in any of the three states. Maine and Vermont have changed their laws to allow a free weekend, however, so reciprocal agreements with neighboring states are no longer needed.

A free weekend means registration is not required, so the agreement to allow snowmobiles registered in one of the other two states is no longer needed for Vermont or Maine. New Hampshire’s law, however, requires that in order for snowmobiles registered in Vermont or Maine to operate here in New Hampshire with their respective registrations, New Hampshire–registered snowmobiles must be allowed to operate in those states during the same time period. In changing their laws, Maine and Vermont also changed their free weekend to the first weekend in February from the last weekend in January.

Top-Water 10-08-2018 04:34 PM

Thank you for that. He's ruined a few threads the past week or so with that same nonsense and the stand-up paddle board replies.

fatlazyless 10-08-2018 06:51 PM

.....say-hey ......hey, cut me a little slack here.....that was a very complex, compound paragraph loaded with some hard to understand info ..... and besides, just maybe, I am not the brightest bulb on the tree ...... gee whiz?

Rusty 10-08-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 303393)
Instead of picking and choosing what you want to believe, try reading the entire post!

I understand that you think your BS posts are "funny" but they are misleading and confusing and could very well be misinterpreted by those that do not choose to bypass your nonsense.

Instead of chewing out another forum member for being confused about the OP's comments, how about asking the OP where he got this information to post.
He didn't quote any source as to where it came from and IMO it is written very poorly.
The OP also said to go to the wildnh website to learn more about snowmobiling, however they don't say anything about the changes in the reciprocal weekend. Maybe they will but as of now they haven't.

CHSLTD 10-12-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 303407)
Instead of chewing out another forum member for being confused about the OP's comments, how about asking the OP where he got this information to post.

He didn't quote any source as to where it came from and IMO it is written very poorly.

The OP also said to go to the wildnh website to learn more about snowmobiling, however they don't say anything about the changes in the reciprocal weekend. Maybe they will but as of now they haven't.

The OP was a release from NH Fish and Game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXUM 10-13-2018 01:55 PM

Is it really that difficult for the state of NH to change the date on the reciprocity weekend to align it with ME and VT? Is the state really that useless?

Answer - Apparently so since it probably took more effort to put out a statement announcing there is no reciprocity weekend than it would have been to just fix the damn date.

CHSLTD 10-13-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 303555)
Is it really that difficult for the state of NH to change the date on the reciprocity weekend to align it with ME and VT? Is the state really that useless?

Answer - Apparently so since it probably took more effort to put out a statement announcing there is no reciprocity weekend than it would have been to just fix the damn date.

My understanding is the House and the Senate would need to change the law and they are not in session.

MAXUM 10-15-2018 09:12 AM

It would have been far better if the state legislators thought ahead in the sense that all the language is fine with the exception of stating a specific weekend in the law instead of leaving this open ended where the weekend could be set at any time at the discretion of the F&G so long as the requirements for reciprocity as described are met.

Considering there are three states involved it's probably fair to think that at some point changes may occur in which case allowing the NH law some fluidity makes it easier to adjust to any changes without having to call law makers into session and waste time authoring a new law or debating something that otherwise could be solved easily within the authority of the entity that has been granted oversight in the first place. Seems like a reasonable thing to do, hopefully that is exactly what they consider if the law is going to be amended. Although I would stipulate that this authority cannot be punted to the NHSA ;)