Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cell Service and Weekend Warrior Departure (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28062)

thinkxingu 06-26-2022 05:06 PM

Cell Service and Weekend Warrior Departure
 
Anyone else use their cell service to identify when the weekend warriors have left and it's safe to head out?!

Seriously, Verizon is like a switch; ~4 O'Clock Friday it starts slowing down and ~3 Sunday it returns to normal speed.

Between ~11PM-5AM, it's always good.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

John Mercier 06-26-2022 05:41 PM

Interesting. I did notice more traffic to and from the area on certain times.
I realized with remote working going away that I would see more of it... just never thought of how it may affect the communications load in the area.

tis 06-26-2022 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372121)
Anyone else use their cell service to identify when the weekend warriors have left and it's safe to head out?!

Seriously, Verizon is like a switch; ~4 O'Clock Friday it starts slowing down and ~3 Sunday it returns to normal speed.

Between ~11PM-5AM, it's always good.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Maybe that's why my phone drove me crazy downloading today!!

WinnisquamZ 06-26-2022 06:22 PM

Nope. Have T Mobile and itís been good


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 06-26-2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 372139)
Nope. Have T Mobile and itís been good


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

How much of the Lakes Region have you used your phone in? I'm continuing to hear good things about T-Mobile, but I'm concerned about overall coverage area, especially since I'm often in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Loventhelake 06-26-2022 06:59 PM

I live in the weirs, yup every weekend I can only use my phone if connected to Wi-Fi. We know when theyíre here and when they depart. I love winters

WinnisquamZ 06-26-2022 09:00 PM

Cell Service and Weekend Warrior Departure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372142)
How much of the Lakes Region have you used your phone in? I'm continuing to hear good things about T-Mobile, but I'm concerned about overall coverage area, especially since I'm often in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Going on three years. Since the Spirt merger last year it’s been terrific. We live in the Laconia area


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 06-27-2022 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 372153)
Going on three years. Since the Spirt merger last year itís been terrific. We live in the Laconia area


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned, Verizon is great for everything...except weekends in the summer. That line seems to start Memorial Day and go through Labor Day. The issue, of course, is that that's exactly when WE are here!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

TiltonBB 06-27-2022 06:21 AM

I know that for many years Verizon brought in a trailer mounted cell relay tower to service the area during Bike Week and handle the additional traffic. It was set up at the Weirs fire station parking lot.

One of the biggest factors causing cell service disruption in the Gilford/Laconia area is the influx of people to the Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion. The equipment at the towers has not been upgraded sufficiently to handle the increase in cell traffic.

I have some equipment in local businesses that operates using wifi on Verizon towers. I had to change one of them, that is close to the pavilion, to hard line internet because on concert nights it couldn't get a connection.

The cell companies chart the dropped calls and poor service complaints and when they get enough complaints in an area they consider adding to the capacity by either upgrading the equipment or adding a tower.

thinkxingu 07-05-2022 12:35 PM

Verizon was essentially unusable this weekend. Sunday at ~6, things loosened up a bit, but it didn't really return to normal until a few hours ago.

I will say that Spotify seems to do just fine, so it must buffer like crazy!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

BroadHopper 07-06-2022 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 372156)
I know that for many years Verizon brought in a trailer mounted cell relay tower to service the area during Bike Week and handle the additional traffic. It was set up at the Weirs fire station parking lot.

One of the biggest factors causing cell service disruption in the Gilford/Laconia area is the influx of people to the Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion. The equipment at the towers has not been upgraded sufficiently to handle the increase in cell traffic.

I have some equipment in local businesses that operates using wifi on Verizon towers. I had to change one of them, that is close to the pavilion, to hard line internet because on concert nights it couldn't get a connection.

The cell companies chart the dropped calls and poor service complaints and when they get enough complaints in an area they consider adding to the capacity by either upgrading the equipment or adding a tower.

The same goes for NHMS in Loudon! I notice last year Verizon and another carrier had mobile towers set up on the race track during NASCAR races. If they can afford trucking towers all over the place, they should be able to upgrade their infrastructure.

Xfinity mobile is unique. Whenever they install internet the transmitters are installed with the cable. Who needs towers?

thinkxingu 07-06-2022 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 372639)
The same goes for NHMS in Loudon! I notice last year Verizon and another carrier had mobile towers set up on the race track during NASCAR races. If they can afford trucking towers all over the place, they should be able to upgrade their infrastructure.

Xfinity mobile is unique. Whenever they install internet the transmitters are installed with the cable. Who needs towers?

I thought Xfinity Mobile just used Verizon's network?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

BroadHopper 07-06-2022 12:39 PM

4G and 4G LTE
 
I don't know about 5G but 4G/LTE, all cell phones can access the towers regardless of carrier subscription. Not sure about 5G.

Not all cell phones can access all bandwidth of 4G/LTE. The older models may have trouble.

When 3G goes away, my section of Winnisquam will be without coverage unless I am on WIFI. 3G bandwidth can 'bend' around hills and obstacles while 4G/5G needs a direct line of sight. When Comcast provide coverage in my section, folks with newer phones picked up Comcast 4G/5G. I have an older (2013) HTC that works quite well for me. I have no intention of spending big bucks just to have cellular coverage.

thinkxingu 07-06-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 372651)
I don't know about 5G but 4G/LTE, all cell phones can access the towers regardless of carrier subscription. Not sure about 5G.

Not all cell phones can access all bandwidth of 4G/LTE. The older models may have trouble.

When 3G goes away, my section of Winnisquam will be without coverage unless I am on WIFI. 3G bandwidth can 'bend' around hills and obstacles while 4G/5G needs a direct line of sight. When Comcast provide coverage in my section, folks with newer phones picked up Comcast 4G/5G. I have an older (2013) HTC that works quite well for me. I have no intention of spending big bucks just to have cellular coverage.

I'm not sure what you consider "big bucks," but I buy my phones second hand on Swappa. The last one, a Samsung S8, cost me $200 and I used it for 3 years before passing it to my daughter. I could've sold it for ~$100. My new phone is an S21FE that I got new-but-open for $300 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

BroadHopper 07-07-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372655)
I'm not sure what you consider "big bucks," but I buy my phones second hand on Swappa. The last one, a Samsung S8, cost me $200 and I used it for 3 years before passing it to my daughter. I could've sold it for ~$100. My new phone is an S21FE that I got new-but-open for $300 shipped.
Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

New in the box HTC 10 are going for less than 100. That's cheap!

thinkxingu 07-07-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 372701)
New in the box HTC 10 are going for less than 100. That's cheap!

Is "HTC 10" synonymous with "soup cans and string"?!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

VitaBene 07-09-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372121)
Anyone else use their cell service to identify when the weekend warriors have left and it's safe to head out?!

Seriously, Verizon is like a switch; ~4 O'Clock Friday it starts slowing down and ~3 Sunday it returns to normal speed.

Between ~11PM-5AM, it's always good.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is Columbus Day:)

BroadHopper 07-10-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372707)
Is "HTC 10" synonymous with "soup cans and string"?!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

No but iphones are synonymous with 'bricks'! My kids have a ton of them!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.