Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diving Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Images-ramp for the Mount in Ctr. Harbor (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14798)

Diver1111 09-09-2012 09:57 PM

Images-ramp for the Mount in Ctr. Harbor

7 Attachment(s)
Took these side-scan images after scanning along the shore in Ctr. Harbor for something else-didn't know this ramp/guide was even there because you can't see any of it above water.

It is some sort of skid/railway for the Mount when, I assume, they pull her into dry dock. My take is that the portion of this assembly that is underwater helps line the vessel up with the shore and other parts of this structure that finish the job of haul-out. Massive steel cross beams off the lake bed mounted on a very very heavy duty frame.

This is obviously very shallow water so it was a clean easy scan with very good results. Note the shadows coming off of the structure telling you more about about its design.

I can't explain the curves in the images yet.

The last image is a modification on side-scan or side-imaging. It is called Down Imaging or DI. It has its uses but I don't use it much. So like a fish-finder, instead of looking out to the sides as with side-scan/side imaging it is now pointed straight down yielding some interesting results sometimes.

diz 09-10-2012 05:22 AM

Mount in drydock photos

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos of The Mount up on the marine railway.

snowflake 09-10-2012 01:28 PM

Mount at Center Harbor

When does the Mount usually go to its winter port? Hope to go for a foliage trip later this month.

diz 09-10-2012 02:19 PM

Last Cruise

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowflake (Post 190738)
When does the Mount usually go to its winter port? Hope to go for a foliage trip later this month.

Not until late October/early November. The last cruise is for Halloween.

oldflounder 03-25-2013 12:04 PM

I dove the railway last weekend just to check it out. It's a fun little shallow dive. I'll be doing it again early Saturday if anyone wants to join in.

I'll try to get some pictures with my crappy little underwater camera if it can deal with the cold. This would be a fun site to practice wreck penetration or search/recovery victim extraction for the F&G or Fire Dept Dive teams in a fairly safe environment.

Diver1111 10-13-2014 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A shot from May 2014.

oldflounder 10-13-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldflounder (Post 201019)
I dove the railway last weekend just to check it out. It's a fun little shallow dive. I'll be doing it again early Saturday if anyone wants to join in.

I'll try to get some pictures with my crappy little underwater camera if it can deal with the cold. This would be a fun site to practice wreck penetration or search/recovery victim extraction for the F&G or Fire Dept Dive teams in a fairly safe environment.

I never did get back to take those pictures of the railway. I fell early last winter and tore my knee up real bad. I only recently got off the crutches and have been able to get back in the water for very simple dives. I want to get back to ice water diving around the Mount this upcoming winter and will probably get back to take the pictures after she gets tied up for the season.