Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Otter ???? Off spindle point 4/28/2019 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24373)

WINNI BOB 05-01-2019 11:31 AM

Otter ???? Off spindle point 4/28/2019

Hi;
Swear I spotted an OTTER swimming very fast out in 70' of water (the middle of the lake off Meridith/Spindle point) the other day(4/28/2019) while fishing the Weirs Beach area. I could only see the head, but it was swimming towards Meridith very fast. I've seen muskrats for years, but they are always near shore and usually at night. I have, also, seen several minks living in our breakwater for many years, but they are small, thin, and long.

This animal had a head bigger than any muskrat; probably, weighed over 20 pounds, and was extremely fast. It ended up diving, so I was not able to get close enough to get a pic or identify it as an otter. Has anyone ever seen an otter(s) in the lake????

WINNI BOB

tis 05-01-2019 11:47 AM

Absolutely! We have otter in the lake.

loonguy 05-01-2019 02:00 PM

We have had a pair of otters near our home across from the Loon Center for years. Back when we had a bubbler they loved to feed in the open space around our dock in the Winter.

boat_guy64 05-01-2019 05:46 PM

Otters

We see them all of the time in Meredith Bay. (Both otters and minks) The otters seem to be around in Spring and Fall and not in the Summer. Minks are around all of the time.

WINNI BOB 05-01-2019 09:50 PM

Otters in the lake

Thank you for all the answers to my question as to the presence of otters in the lake. Just one more magnificent wild creature to add to my long and varied list of wildlife that I have encountered in over 55 years of experience on the lake.

WINNI BOB

upthesaukee 05-02-2019 05:55 AM

Otter in our brook

We have seen an otter(s) in our brook over the years, and have seen their "slides" down the snow-covered banks in the winter. Saw one running down the stream backs the other day, having toward the lake. Cool sight.

Dave

tis 05-02-2019 06:56 AM

My daughter and family made a hockey rink in front of the house last year and the otters thought that was wonderful. They made a hole in the middle or it melted a little to make a hole and they kept coming in and out of the hole and sliding on the ice. The first time I saw an otter it was on the land and I thought it was a great big dog's face when I saw it. We don't see them in the summer either. I wonder where they go? Out in the middle?

Grant 05-02-2019 10:00 AM

Ninja Otter

We had an otter who liked to toy with us.

He/she would raid our boathouse occasionally, leave a mess, and escape--usually JUST before we entered.

This happened most often in the spring, fall, and winter. Every spring, when "opening up" for the season, things would be strewn about and pooped on (with lots of fish scales). And occasionally you'd enter the boathouse to find wet tracks and fresh (rank) poop. He/she especially loved one particular orange PFD vest, which was regularly knocked down, moved, and pooped on.

But each spring you had to spend a while scraping up and washing off the scale-laden poop from the deck.

tis 05-02-2019 01:15 PM

Yes, I have heard it's not pretty if they get in your boathouse.

farechofisherman 05-03-2019 05:18 PM

Otter or beavers are in many areas of the lake.

tis 05-03-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farechofisherman (Post 310863)
Otter or beavers are in many areas of the lake.

And we have a busy little muskrat (notice I didn't say busy beaver) making a nest in front of the house right now. We have tons of empty clam shells from the winter and I don't know if it is the mink or the muskrat.

ApS 05-03-2019 07:21 PM

Even in September...

It's easy to tell you've got mink along your shoreline...;)

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/fullsc59.jpg

tis 05-04-2019 07:08 AM

UH huh! We do! But we also have muskrats.