Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Swim platform duck scat (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28207)

Loub52 08-07-2022 02:06 PM

Swim platform duck scat

First season ever that the local duck population has decided that my boats swim platform is the perfect place to hang out for periods of time and leave their mark.

I tend to back the boat into its slip due to the ease of boarding and off boarding. I’ve seen people use daddy long legs devices with pretty good success on floating rafts to keep ducks away.

Any tips from forum members who have encountered the same issue?

Diana 08-07-2022 03:40 PM

They are on our raft this year. A rubber snake helped for a while but they look like they own it again.

Descant 08-07-2022 04:18 PM

At our marina, ducks seem to like some swim platforms more than others. Apparently due to height above water. All the boats are backed in. My platform is fairly high, never had a problem. Have to wonder what's changed that you have ducks now, but not before.
My daughter's dog, mostly a Labrador retriever, used to love to chase and bark at the ducks, and even swim after them. They left.

8gv 08-07-2022 06:16 PM

Ducks???

Try an otter or some other unknown predator that drags its prey onto my swim platform, eats the best parts and then leaves some for me.

There is not enough ketchup in the world for me to try those leftovers. :eek:

Loub52 08-08-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 374646)
At our marina, ducks seem to like some swim platforms more than others. Apparently due to height above water. All the boats are backed in. My platform is fairly high, never had a problem. Have to wonder what's changed that you have ducks now, but not before.
My daughter's dog, mostly a Labrador retriever, used to love to chase and bark at the ducks, and even swim after them. They left.

I think you’re right about the platform height above water being a factor. Ours is pretty low compared to some others that back their boats in. Yesterday, we used some painters tape to secure tin foil to the platform as an experiment. Wind was calm so no real risk of the foil blowing into the lake. This morning, we found that the ducks adopted a platform a few boats down as their new home.

Loub52 08-08-2022 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana (Post 374644)
They are on our raft this year. A rubber snake helped for a while but they look like they own it again.

Realizing our tin foil experiment wouldn’t be very sustainable, today, we swapped to trying wildlife/bird netting to see if that deters them too.

Descant 08-08-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loub52 (Post 374669)
I think you’re right about the platform height above water being a factor. Ours is pretty low compared to some others that back they’re boats in. Yesterday, we used some painters tape to secure tin foil to the platform as an experiment. Wind was calm so no real risk of the foil blowing into the lake. This morning, we found that the ducks adopted a platform a few boats down as their new home.

Genius! Glad for that successful idea. Maybe hang some foil (Mylar") from a string tied between posts so it isn't torn off from the boat by wave action?