Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog Barking (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28191)

PineIsl 08-03-2022 10:08 AM

Dog Barking

What can be done about a dog barks all day long?

There is a dog on Pine that has been barking daily for weeks.

Woody38 08-03-2022 10:13 AM

Poor dog is most likely left outside alone and is seeking company. Owners may be away for the day and do not know. You could check with the local animal control. My dogs only bark when they need to make me informed of an incident. Sometimes also when the neighbor's dog is outside and barking.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

8gv 08-03-2022 11:02 AM

Perhaps a good first step would be to visit the dog's owner and let them know about the problem.

MeredithMan 08-03-2022 11:12 AM

Agree...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 374355)
Perhaps a good first step would be to visit the dog's owner and let them know about the problem.

Had a neighbor here at the lake once who would go out to eat a few nights a week and leave their dog on the screened porch with no lights on anywhere in the house. The dog would whine and howl like crazy...super annoying.

Rather than come across as the "complaining neighbor", I suggested to them that maybe they leave some lights on when they go out at night, as the dog gets very upset and whines and howls.

"Oh, we had no idea...."

Problem solved.

DEJ 08-03-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 374355)

THIS would be a good start.

LIforrelaxin 08-03-2022 12:27 PM

Dogs only bark for a reason, as all others have said here, reach out to the owner, and work with them.....

If the owner is not reasonable, well then yes there are other avenues that can be explored, however they don't lead to pleasant experiences for anyone... Unless of course there is a specific law being broken... I.E. most towns have an ordinance against excessive noise between certain hours....

Bear Islander 08-03-2022 03:36 PM

I can hear that dog all the way on Bear Island. He barks for hours and doesn't take a break. It is my understanding that the owners are well aware. It doesn't annoy me much being so far away but I feel for the neighbors. I think this is irresponsible ownership. Call the police.

8gv 08-03-2022 05:19 PM

Yeah but...

Why not give the dog owner an opportunity to resolve this?

Why rely on "an understanding" that they don't care, which may not be accurate?

Jumping over step one and going straight to the police might influence neighbor relations in an unpleasant way.

MeredithMan 08-07-2022 12:42 PM

heard it yesterday from the boat...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PineIsl (Post 374349)
What can be done about a dog barks all day long?

There is a dog on Pine that has been barking daily for weeks.

So out in the boat yesterday, we were coming through the no wake zone between Bear and Pine and all I could hear was the incessant barking of a dog from Pine....

gravy boat 08-07-2022 05:48 PM

Dog barking

Citronella dog barking collar.

Humane, easy to use and works.

chachee52 08-08-2022 12:43 PM

I agree with talking to the owner first, if not, leave a note while they are gone. If that doesn't work than I know in Tyngsboro there is a noise ordinance where if the dog is barking for > 1 hr (or something near that) than you can file a complaint with the PD and the animal control officer will be notified. Now on an island not sure how that would occur?
Good luck. Its never fun. Went through it at my house a few years back.

Descant 08-08-2022 04:31 PM

I think, mostly, the PD needs a few complaints if talking to the neighbor doesn't work. Then they can go listen for themselves and act accordingly. They can't do much without peroneal observation of an incident.

LIforrelaxin 08-09-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 374684)
I think, mostly, the PD needs a few complaints if talking to the neighbor doesn't work. Then they can go listen for themselves and act accordingly. They can't do much without peroneal observation of an incident.

Well yes this is true, unless there are signs of abuse or the barking is happening after the towns "quiet" hours, there is little even the PD can do....

ApS 09-14-2022 03:48 AM

Separation Anxiety, It's Called...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 374350)
Poor dog is most likely left outside alone and is seeking company. Owners may be away for the day and do not know. You could check with the local animal control. My dogs only bark when they need to make me informed of an incident. Sometimes also when the neighbor's dog is outside and seeking company.

I've heard it explained that a dog thinks its owner has gone away forever. That would explain the greeting that one gets when returning home. ;)

Ever notice a dog's anxiety when the owner disappears into the water and doesn't surface immediately?

➸ When I lost one of my two mini-dachshunds due to age (16½) my landlord said the remaining dog would howl in despair after I'd left on workdays. I couldn't have known otherwise and felt so guilty since he was also 16½ years old. :(

As it turned out, retirement was just a short time away, so the problem got resolved. :coolsm: