Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tree Harvesting (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27526)

54fighting 10-10-2021 05:11 PM

Tree Harvesting

Has anyone had a lumber mill or the like harvest trees on their property?

John Mercier 10-10-2021 05:24 PM

Usually it will be a logger that sells to a mill.

TheProfessor 10-10-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54fighting (Post 363237)

Yes, I have.

loonguy 10-10-2021 06:01 PM

My neighbor got a permit from the Town to log trees on a parcel in Moultonborough. Town records for the applicable town might provide some relevant information.

TheTimeTraveler 10-10-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54fighting (Post 363237)

I guess the question is how many acres do you own and is a good percentage of your land full of mature growth hardwood species?

Slickcraft 10-10-2021 06:39 PM

Contact your town's code enforcement officer or town forester. Intent to cut applications would pass through them. So they would know who harvests timber in your area.

Alan

Descant 10-10-2021 07:05 PM

How many acres?

Mostly, mills don't do harvesting. They buy from loggers who cut & truck for you. There has been previous discussion about "they get the timber and I pay nothing" but then you're stuck with stumps and brush clean up.
Need to determine whether you're doing a harvest or just landscaping.
I had an interesting discussion with my forester a few days ago. The current high price of building materials doers not trickle down to the land owner as you might expect. It all goes to the mills and the retailers, not to loggers and owners. I agree with Slickcraft--check with the town forester where ever he land is located.

John Mercier 10-10-2021 10:03 PM

Basically because when lumber prices skyrocketed, it was not a timber supply problem.

It is currently still not a timber supply problem... though trucking has been a bit sporadic.

54fighting 10-11-2021 05:09 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I知 not expecting this to be much more than a wash if I知 lucky. The trees are mostly pine. There are several that have become a nuisance and many more that would be available to make the project worthwhile. I would want to remove some of the stumps. I understand as well that there are restrictions on what can be taken and what must remain based on what is taken and where it is taken from.

I will look into contacting the town forester. Having no experience in this area I知 wondering if there is anywhere else I should go for guidance regarding pricing (other than contacting several sawmills).

thinkxingu 10-11-2021 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54fighting (Post 363261)

I’m not expecting this to be much more than a wash if I’m lucky. The trees are mostly pine. There are several that have become a nuisance and many more that would be available to make the project worthwhile. I would want to remove some of the stumps. I understand as well that there are restrictions on what can be taken and what must remain based on what is taken and where it is taken from.

I will look into contacting the town forester. Having no experience in this area I’m wondering if there is anywhere else I should go for guidance regarding pricing (other than contacting several sawmills).

My town was littered with "free tree removal with X number of trees" signs a few years back. After some people took the company up on its offer, the overwhelming reports were that it was a mess afterward. Ground damage, stumps everywhere, partial trees/remnants, etc. to where the advice became—with very few exceptions—to not go that route.

What's your goal, and is this "usable" land you're hoping to have access to after?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Descant 10-11-2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

I知 not expecting this to be much more than a wash if I知 lucky. The trees are mostly pine. There are several that have become a nuisance and many more that would be available to make the project worthwhile. I would want to remove some of the stumps. I understand as well that there are restrictions on what can be taken and what must remain based on what is taken and where it is taken from.

I will look into contacting the town forester. Having no experience in this area I知 wondering if there is anywhere else I should go for guidance regarding pricing (other than contacting several sawmills).

I re-read the thread. Still don't know where you are, how many acres and/or how many trees. You need a logger or a tree service, not a sawmill. Try Courtney at Arbortech (603) 491-5183. He has many kudos on this forum. Let us know how things turn out.

John Mercier 10-11-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Northern Woodlands magazine. Its a quarterly, and has a section on timber price ranges paid by the local mills.

bigdog 10-11-2021 05:49 PM

Not to go off topic but..... I went to buy wood pellets today at Middleton Lumber, and the price went up $10 per ton since Friday. They told me, more than likely they will go up again in Nov., so stock up now if you can.

Everything is going up, everything ! Food, gas, building materials, taxes, it never stops :(

54fighting 10-11-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 363273)
I re-read the thread. Still don't know where you are, how many acres and/or how many trees. You need a logger or a tree service, not a sawmill. Try Courtney at Arbortech (603) 491-5183. He has many kudos on this forum. Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks. I知 in Wolfeboro on 27 acres.

John Mercier 10-11-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 363293)
Not to go off topic but..... I went to buy wood pellets today at Middleton Lumber, and the price went up $10 per ton since Friday. They told me, more than likely they will go up again in Nov., so stock up now if you can.

Everything is going up, everything ! Food, gas, building materials, taxes, it never stops :(

From $269 to $279 was scheduled for October 1st... I haven't seen anything since then.

54fighting 10-11-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 363293)

But but you did. You did go off topic. Very very off topic. When everything stops going up it dies. $10 per ton? If this is on your mind picking up a $10 bill isn稚 worth the potential back sprain even if you have the power lift recliner..

bigdog 10-12-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 363299)
From $269 to $279 was scheduled for October 1st... I haven't seen anything since then.

FYI, I purchased in Sept. but Middleton were not able to deliver until last Fri., because the delivery guy has been sick, and they had to pull in a substitute.

Ordered a ton yesterday, no telling when delivery will be, they usually deliver pellet orders on Friday, well see, still TBD ?

Now, back on topic..........