Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cars don't float! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23299)

TiltonBB 05-14-2018 06:15 PM

Cars don't float!

One in the lake. Wolfeboro

http://www.wmur.com/article/car-goes...aukee/20689295

joey2665 05-14-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 294673)

Helps if you know the difference between forward and reverse. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Seaplane Pilot 05-14-2018 06:41 PM

I think they were looking for the drive-thru at “The Dive”....

Two cheeseburgers and two margaritas to go please.

joey2665 05-14-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 294676)
I think they were looking for the drive-thru at “The Dive”....

Two cheeseburgers and two margaritas to go please.

Now that is funny. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

ursa minor 05-14-2018 08:11 PM

I'm just glad this was today and not a busy Saturday with a bunch of people sitting on that bench! :eek:

Sinclair 05-14-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursa minor (Post 294682)
I'm just glad this was today and not a busy Saturday with a bunch of people sitting on that bench! :eek:

You are completely right. With the ice cream shop there, often it's children sitting on that bench. I hope they report on the cause to give us comfort it won't happen again.

Hillcountry 05-15-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 294684)
You are completely right. With the ice cream shop there, often it's children sitting on that bench. I hope they report on the cause to give us comfort it won't happen again.

Mr Sinclair, respectfully, your statement makes no sense. I understand what your
concern is but in the real world, “they” whomever that may be, cannot give “us” comfort that a spontaneous, incident/potential tragedy “won’t happen again.”
My suggestion: be aware of your surroundings and expect at all times that something bad can happen in a heartbeat, especially in today’s dangerous world.
Again, I mean no disrespect...but your statement seems to be how the general public, not everyone, lives their lives, unaware of anything, seeing the world through rose colored glasses.
This is not meant to offend but quite the opposite. Please be aware!

Rusty 05-15-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294735)
Mr Sinclair, respectfully, your statement makes no sense. I understand what your
concern is but in the real world, “they” whomever that may be, cannot give “us” comfort that a spontaneous, incident/potential tragedy “won’t happen again.”
My suggestion: be aware of your surroundings and expect at all times that something bad can happen in a heartbeat, especially in today’s dangerous world.
Again, I mean no disrespect...but your statement seems to be how the general public, not everyone, lives their lives, unaware of anything, seeing the world through rose colored glasses.

It's pretty hard to be aware of a vehicle heading toward you when sitting on a bench with your back to it.
I guess you could wear a helmet with a rearview mirror on it like some bicycle riders do.

bilproject 05-15-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294735)

Really! Did you think before this reply or did it just fall out of the wrong end!

Outdoorsman 05-15-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 294675)

Quote:

Perhaps the article has been updated....

"Rescue workers said it appeared that the driver hit the accelerator instead of the brake before she plunged over the edge of the town docks."

Hillcountry 05-15-2018 07:02 PM

If you don’t understand my statement or disagree with it, so be it. You live your life unaware and I’ll live mine aware. I was respectful and explained myself clearly...if you can’t accept that I can’t help it or you.
Enjoy your ice cream.

Poor Richard 05-15-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 294749)
Perhaps the article has been updated....

"Rescue workers said it appeared that the driver hit the accelerator instead of the brake before she plunged over the edge of the town docks."

Now that the cause has been reported, I'm comforted this won't happen again.

;)

TiltonBB 05-15-2018 08:30 PM

Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 294762)
Now that the cause has been reported, I'm comforted this won't happen again.
;)

Won't happen again?

Why pedal mixups are dangerously common:

http://www.everythingzoomer.com/mone...edal-mistakes/

http://www.thenewscenter.tv/content/...391079381.html

painthappy 05-15-2018 08:52 PM

Car's don't float? Well I beg to differ...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/264/19...50d1cefe_c.jpg

Taken a few years ago near the Town Docks while I was riding around in my boat.

The Real BigGuy 05-16-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately ____ happens! No one can prevent accidents from happening. In the final analysis each individual, not big brother, is responsible for themselves. It may not always be enough, but that’s all we got.

joey2665 05-16-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

There are absolutely NO guarantees that is will not happen again. Isn't that why they are called "accidents"? There can be education and precautions but you certainly cannot say that this will not happens again

Sinclair 05-16-2018 09:26 AM

I didn't realize my comment would provoke such emotion!

I do believe it's helpful to think about how a tragedy could be avoided. Ask yourself: if a child had been killed, would you have the same "accidents happen" response? Would you advocate doing nothing?

joey2665 05-16-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 294792)
I didn't realize my comment would provoke such emotion!

I do believe it's helpful to think about how a tragedy could be avoided. Ask yourself: if a child had been killed, would you have the same "accidents happen" response? Would you advocate doing nothing?

No l do not advocate doing nothing, but there can be overreaction. Education and precaution. You just cannot say never thats all. Not really emotional about it at all.

noreast 05-16-2018 10:03 AM

I've seen it happen at a store in Mass, Luckily again no one was hurt but it was crazy, The guy got held up on a curb, thankfully and was shifting from drive to reverse stomping on the gas in both directions in a panic, I wanted to drag him out of the car. Off course it was a big Oldsmobile, aptly named, That would have been a torpedo if he got it "un stuck". Hopefully we'll all get old, I'm getting there myself, but it's a deadly mistake.

Orion 05-17-2018 10:06 AM

help is on the way

Autonomous cars can't come fast enough for senior drivers. Soon.

MeredithMan 05-17-2018 11:16 AM

I may get rocks thrown at me for this, but...

.....did you ever notice, whenever a car crashes into a house, building, etc, and the reason given is "the accelerator stuck", the driver is just about always someone in their 70's, 80's, & beyond? I've never heard of an accelerator sticking for someone in their 30's-50's....

Phantom 05-17-2018 12:00 PM

MeredithMan wrote: I may get rocks thrown at me for this, but...

Your RIGHT --- better duck cuz I am pitching the first one !

TiltonBB 05-17-2018 07:58 PM

OK. Not all cars float!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by painthappy (Post 294768)

If Ted Kennedy drove one of those he might have been President someday! But instead, he found out that an Oldsmobile Delmont 88 didn't float.

MeredithMan 05-18-2018 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 294844)
MeredithMan wrote: I may get rocks thrown at me for this, but...

Your RIGHT --- better duck cuz I am pitching the first one !

And after you were so nice to me a few months ago with all those Hudson restaurant recommendations....:laugh::emb:

Music Man 05-18-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 294841)
.....did you ever notice, whenever a car crashes into a house, building, etc, and the reason given is "the accelerator stuck", the driver is just about always someone in their 70's, 80's, & beyond? I've never heard of an accelerator sticking for someone in their 30's-50's....

It seems to happen a lot for speeders, and then magically gets unstuck as they're pulled over...

Hillcountry 05-18-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 294861)
If Ted Kennedy drove one of those he might have been President someday! But instead, he found out that an Oldsmobile Delmont 88 didn't float.

My wife, as a teen, with some other friends, were near Chappaquidick and someone knew where they towed that Olds...the kids had unfettered access to the car and they all swiped something out of it. To this day my wife has the emergency brake pedal pad and a radio knob from killer Ted’s car.

ApS 05-18-2018 06:19 PM

Would You Believe $47,000...

Quote:

Years ago, I had a chance to buy an Amphicar for $3500. Today, a nice one will enhance your portfolio! :eek:

https://s13252.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...-1-940x627.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...car-model-770/

TiltonBB 05-18-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294886)
My wife, as a teen, with some other friends, were near Chappaquidick and someone knew where they towed that Olds...the kids had unfettered access to the car and they all swiped something out of it. To this day my wife has the emergency brake pedal pad and a radio knob from killer Ted’s car.

I was on the Vineyard with six friends shortly after that happened. We rented mopeds and covered most of the island. At some point during the day we took the "On Time" ferry to Chappaquiddick. When we got to the "Dyke Bridge" there was a hand written sign that read "Teddy's Car wash".

Enuf said!

Rusty 05-19-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294886)

So your wife steals parts off "killer Ted's car" and you don't mind telling everyone.
Anything else you want to tell us about what she might have stole during her youth?

Hillcountry 05-19-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 294896)
So your wife steals parts off "killer Ted's car" and you don't mind telling everyone.
Anything else you want to tell us about what she might have stole during her youth?

She stole my heart later on...:D

ApS 10-07-2018 03:01 AM

Cars That Float...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 294780)
Unfortunately ____ happens! No one can prevent accidents from happening. In the final analysis each individual, not big brother, is responsible for themselves. It may not always be enough, but that’s all we got.

In the prime of life, I was required to take the $2000+ drivers license exam in Germany. :eek2: One "practical" test was of one's physical reaction at a simulated driver's position. It involved the time it took to move one's foot from accelerator to brake pedal.

Seniors' licenses are automatically cancelled at the age of 50 for a re-testing. You must carry a reflective vest in your car. Driving with Marijuana in your system = fine of $1000+.

"Points" may transfer to other countries—and the US is targeted! Failures are so frequent, you may not finish your coffee before the previous applicant has failed and walked away. :eek: Without close study, you'll likely fail this "International Sign":

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...17bf9e5bd9e9a3

(Correct answer, 1, 2 and 4). :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 294861)
If Ted Kennedy drove one of those [Amphicar] he might have been President someday! But instead, he found out that an Oldsmobile Delmont 88 didn't float.

In the 60s, he could have bought a Volkswagen instead for $1650.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../TeddyVWad.jpg
(Courtesy Wikipedia, via National Lampoon parody of a similar Doyle-Dane-Bernbach VW ad).

My Florida neighbor owns property close to Chappaquiddick, and advised me that he knows the operator of the ferry from the Vineyard. :confused:

This winter's next step is to follow-up on why told me only that. :eek2:

I recently stumbled on a 1980s ad for a second-hand Amphicar—where one's $1,650 could have blossomed into $47,000—which was just paid for that red Amphicar above.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/fullsc28.jpg

SAMIAM 10-07-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Ooops…..statistics show that greatest number of accidents are in the 16-29 age group.
Lets change the driving age to 30 so that us old folks can be safe on the road : )

TiltonBB 10-07-2018 10:34 AM

Toyota and Lexus had a problem

Quote:

In the unlikely event of unintended throttle, proper application of the brake pedal should prevent your car from accelerating into a crash.

According to independent estimates, the various Toyotas and Lexuses with sticky accelerator pedals have been responsible for approximately 2000 accidents and 32 fatalities over the past 10 years. Tragic as those incidents have been, they account for a small percentage of the total number of fatal accidents on U.S. highways. Data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shows more than 330,000 Americans died in vehicle-related accidents over the previous decade.

In the long list of hazards—including texting, drunk driving, falling asleep at the wheel and inclement weather—unintended acceleration comes out at the bottom.

From NHTSA:

Drivers younger than 20 were overrepresented in pedal misapplication crashes by a factor of 2.38 times their representation in the driving population. Drivers 20 to 64 were underrepresented in pedal misapplication crashes, compared to their proportions in the driving population. Those 65 to 69 were slightly overrepresented, while those age 70 to 74 were represented in crashes involving pedal misapplications at nearly twice their proportion in the driving population (1.90). The risk increased more sharply as age increased, beginning at age 75.For drivers ages 85 and older the relative risk climbed to 12.6.Thus, while pedal misapplication crashes were prevalent among both younger and older drivers, older driver involvement increased sharply in relation to their proportion among the population of licensed drivers.

ushaggerb 10-07-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294761)
If you don’t understand my statement or disagree with it, so be it. You live your life unaware and I’ll live mine aware. I was respectful and explained myself clearly...if you can’t accept that I can’t help it or you.
Enjoy your ice cream.

What you consider to be 'aware' is error. These are the least dangerous times we live in. Accidental death and disease overwhelmed the 20th century. The last 45 years in the U.S. is the most peaceful we've enjoyed in over 125 years. Pushing hyper-vigilance is not the same as staying aware, unless you believe awareness and knowledge are 2 totally different concepts.

Bigstan 10-08-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

There were three of these, all light blue, in Paugus bay yesterday. It's very strange to see....

RUGMAN 10-08-2018 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Caught one of the three in paugus yesterday, and then by my house got out at Akwa.

Attachment 14283

ApS 10-02-2019 08:04 AM

Now Worth $50,000.

Sold at auction, October 01, 2019:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2019-10-01

fatlazyless 10-02-2019 08:45 AM

www.autohausmeredith.com in Meredith has had a red Amphicar similar to Amphicar in above photo, parked out front for last couple months, there. No sign or nothing indicating it's for sale ..... is just there ..... hey buddy, what's up w/ that red Amphicar?

Is parked outdoors, and looks newly re-painted, so who knows ..... is maybe a daily commuter car from Rattlesnake Island, or something?

iw8surf 10-02-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 303340)
In the unlikely event of unintended throttle, proper application of the brake pedal should prevent your car from accelerating into a crash.

According to independent estimates, the various Toyotas and Lexuses with sticky accelerator pedals have been responsible for approximately 2000 accidents and 32 fatalities over the past 10 years. Tragic as those incidents have been, they account for a small percentage of the total number of fatal accidents on U.S. highways. Data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shows more than 330,000 Americans died in vehicle-related accidents over the previous decade.

In the long list of hazards—including texting, drunk driving, falling asleep at the wheel and inclement weather—unintended acceleration comes out at the bottom.

From NHTSA:

Drivers younger than 20 were overrepresented in pedal misapplication crashes by a factor of 2.38 times their representation in the driving population. Drivers 20 to 64 were underrepresented in pedal misapplication crashes, compared to their proportions in the driving population. Those 65 to 69 were slightly overrepresented, while those age 70 to 74 were represented in crashes involving pedal misapplications at nearly twice their proportion in the driving population (1.90). The risk increased more sharply as age increased, beginning at age 75.For drivers ages 85 and older the relative risk climbed to 12.6.Thus, while pedal misapplication crashes were prevalent among both younger and older drivers, older driver involvement increased sharply in relation to their proportion among the population of licensed drivers.

Had a friends whos mom and dad were involved with one of those Toyotas with the defective gas pedal crashes. Sadly she lost her life and he spent months in the hospital after going through a rotary getting off the highway. Sad I still remember getting that phone call.

After that I made sure everyone in my family knew to put the car in neutral, use the E break or any other possible options depending on the scenario. Blow the engine/trans up I don't care they can be replaced, someone's mom, dad or child cant be.

thinkxingu 10-02-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iw8surf (Post 320504)
Had a friends whos mom and dad were involved with one of those Toyotas with the defective gas pedal crashes. Sadly she lost her life and he spent months in the hospital after going through a rotary getting off the highway. Sad I still remember getting that phone call.

After that I made sure everyone in my family knew to put the car in neutral, use the E break or any other possible options depending on the scenario. Blow the engine/trans up I don't care they can be replaced, someone's mom, dad or child cant be.

Not to throw this thread too far off topic, but if you're interested, take a listen to Malcolm Gladwell's "Blame Game" episode of Revisionist History.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Wanksy 10-04-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 294675)

Baffles me that people can make this mistake, especially around a dock, or in this case off of one.