Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Old DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Help (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23594)

thinkxingu 07-17-2018 05:00 PM

Old DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Help

Greetings, friends! I've got an old DeWalt radial arm saw that isn't totally functional. Is there anyone here who might know how to remedy the problem?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hillcountry 07-17-2018 05:03 PM

You should say what the problem is...not that I would know how to fix but someone might...

thinkxingu 07-17-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 298090)
You should say what the problem is...not that I would know how to fix but someone might...

I was gonna, but figured I'd connect directly with someone if so. In any case, it turns slowly. For a while, if it was slow and I tapped the side of the motor it would work again, but not anymore.

Rusty 07-17-2018 05:16 PM

It could be that you need new brushes for the motor. It's worth a try because brushes are inexpensive and easy to replace.

brk-lnt 07-17-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 298093)
It could be that you need new brushes for the motor. It's worth a try because brushes are inexpensive and easy to replace.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. But still, posting a model number would be helpful.

ishoot308 07-17-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

That would be my guess as well...

Dan

DBreskin 07-17-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

I agree with Rusty. I had a similar problem on a kitchen exhaust fan. In my case it was easiest to replace the motor but I expect a Craftsman product to be serviceable.

KDL 07-17-2018 07:14 PM

No brushes in that motor. Most likely the starting switch and or the starting capacitor. You can try cleaning the motor with compressed air. Sometimes sawdust will get into the starting switch preventing it from closing properly. It's a long shot but worth a try.
Best bet is remove the motor from the saw and bring it to a motor repair shop. Once repaired it will give you many more years of service.
Great saws. I have two of them.

thinkxingu 07-17-2018 07:41 PM

This is what it looks like. I think it's a DeWalt AMF, not sure of year. I'm also not sure there's a capacitor as there is no control box, only a switch I think my dad wired some years back.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...76c23fa371.jpg

KDL 07-17-2018 07:51 PM

Yup. Same as the ones I have.
The starting capacitor is inside that round enclosure near the square box on top of the motor. That's an easy change. Just match the ratings of the old unit with a new replacement.
The centrifugal starting switch is inside the motor and not accessible without taking the motor apart.

thinkxingu 07-18-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDL (Post 298112)
The starting capacitor is inside that round enclosure near the square box on top of the motor. That's an easy change. Just match the ratings of the old unit with a new replacement.
The centrifugal starting switch is inside the motor and not accessible without taking the motor apart.

Thanks for the tips--I'll take a look and get back with results.

thinkxingu 08-09-2018 12:42 PM

Hi! I started playing with the capacitor but can't figure out how to get it off. Do I need to remove the motor and pull off the covers or just "untab" it and pull it out? The wires seem to go into the motor without quick connects, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KDL (Post 298112)

SPT13 08-09-2018 12:54 PM

saw

it should pop right out of the tab

thinkxingu 08-09-2018 12:56 PM

I think my unit may have been painted over--is the capacitor the thing that should pop out, or is it inside that little tube?
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPT13 (Post 299756)
it should pop right out of the tab

SPT13 08-09-2018 01:37 PM

Saw

Under the cover, usually black, about 3" long, & 1" wide.
The thing that pops out ( red button) is usually a thermal overload

SPT13 08-09-2018 01:44 PM

correction

Sorry,
just saw pic, it is mounted on the side & will snap out of the tabs. It will have an indent on the bottom & the cover to snap back in place

thinkxingu 10-08-2018 03:33 PM

I think I've decided to sell this saw--I just don't have the time to fix it. Anyone interested? $50, if so. Cheers!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f1a51fbfeb.jpg

KDL 10-08-2018 04:41 PM

Where you located? I might be interested.

thinkxingu 10-08-2018 04:44 PM

Merrimack, NH.

KDL 10-08-2018 05:17 PM

I don't get out to your area too often. I'll have to pass for now.
Thanks

thinkxingu 10-08-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDL (Post 303398)
I don't get out to your area too often. I'll have to pass for now.
Thanks

Where are you?

KDL 10-08-2018 06:39 PM

Central Mass and Alton.

thinkxingu 10-08-2018 08:19 PM

Gotcha. I don't get that way either. Feel free to check in if you'll be in my area.

fatlazyless 10-11-2018 07:19 PM

As of today, the www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm has an old green deWalt overhead radial arm saw, 110v, looking in poor condition compared to yours and selling for $50. Could buy it for parts to combine with yours, or just donate yours to their collection of old saws which includes some belt drive Rockwell and Craftsman table saws, and an old Delta planer.

They have a lot of Benjamin Moore paint in gallons that supposedly came discarded/donated from Home Beautiful in Belmont; and the nearby Rand's Hardware in Plymouth on Main St, a first class Ben Moore dealer that does an excellent job of tinting, will tint your el cheapo ReStore BM gallons and quarts for a fee, so this is a way to get $30-50 Ben Moore for about 12.50/gal; $10-gal plus $2.50-tint.

Is easy to compare prices for the same Ben Moore paint, about $10 vs $40, with the hardware store and the Re-Store located about two fast miles apart.

Re-Store also has 15-gallons of Insl-x swimming pool paint in Ocean Blue for $10/gal (lists at $75)which is totally hubba hubba for painting exterior of an old boat ... a strong bright blue! This is some very expensive paint and Insl-x is a Ben Moore company, owned by Warren Buffet, so's for ten bucks, you can paint your old boat with paint for a billionaire and feel good about it, because Donald Trump hates boats ... ho-ho-ho ... dumb comment but true?