Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Identify Owner via Registration/Repairing Old Boat (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24933)

thinkxingu 08-27-2019 05:56 AM

Identify Owner via Registration/Repairing Old Boat

Holla! Is it possible to identify a boat's owner by the registration numbers? There's an old aluminum boat near me that appears abandoned, so I thought I'd see if I could get it cheap/free for a project boat for me and L'il Buddy.

Also, it appears the whole structure--boat bottom/transom--is aluminum. Can I assume the rest of the rotted wood can just be replaced?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 08-27-2019 11:18 AM

Too many variables

Sounds liked too many variables to get good answers here. Is 'neat me" on your land or somebody else's, etc.? Call 293-2037 and ask.

jbolty 08-27-2019 11:58 AM

Had a situation like this many years ago and no one in government was willing to give out names or address based on a vin number or license plate. But, I found a friendly F&G guy who looked it up and then he contacted the owner and asked them if it was ok to put me in touch with them. In that case the guy did not want to sell the boat and he came and got it and I never did get the name.

thinkxingu 08-27-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 318411)
Had a situation like this many years ago and no one in government was willing to give out names or address based on a vin number or license plate. But, I found a friendly F&G guy who looked it up and then he contacted the owner and asked them if it was ok to put me in touch with them. In that case the guy did not want to sell the boat and he came and got it and I never did get the name.

Great idea--anyone here know a friendly F&G person?! The owner would be someone who either owns or owned at my camp.

ishoot308 08-27-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 318413)
Great idea--anyone here know a friendly F&G person?! The owner would be someone who either owns or owned at my camp.

Just call the Concord headquarters number and ask for the person who handles your area....

Dan

jbolty 08-27-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

town clerk maybe? or any law enforcement. They just need to be willing to do a favor. Of course mine was probably 25 years ago, times have changed

Descant 08-27-2019 03:59 PM

Mp 293-2037

Everybody I've ever met at MP is friendly, and I've dealt with many over the years. If there is an abandoned boat, they would certainly contact the owner and have it removed, unless it is on his own property. If it is really old and the motor was removed a long time ago it may not have been registered and may not be in the listings. Second choice is to look up the land owner on the town website, and call him/her. This isn't information you'll likely get on the Forum. 293-2037.

Cal Coon 08-27-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Try asking around the camp, bound to be an old timer around that may know who's boat it is, or was...

thinkxingu 09-12-2019 03:15 PM

Update: F&G sent me to Moultonborough PD, who told me they wouldn't do anything until association president called to complain about abandoned property. They would then conduct investigation and give owner the chance to remove it before being charged for "abandonment of property."

Not sure I want to bother with that, though I'm thinking maybe then they'd pass on my info as someone to take care of the problem...

Thoughts? Or does anyone want to contribute an aluminum rowboat with trailer to the thinkxingu and son project?!

Descant 09-12-2019 03:49 PM

does it hold water?

Is it upright? After rain, does it hold water? If not, that could explain the apparent abandonment. If it is on association property, there may be by-laws that deal with such situations, allowing the board of directors to take action independently.

jbolty 09-12-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 319494)
Update: F&G sent me to Moultonborough PD, who told me they wouldn't do anything until association president called to complain about abandoned property. They would then conduct investigation and give owner the chance to remove it before being charged for "abandonment of property."

Not sure I want to bother with that, though I'm thinking maybe then they'd pass on my info as someone to take care of the problem...

Thoughts? Or does anyone want to contribute an aluminum rowboat with trailer to the thinkxingu and son project?!

When people complain about the loss of small town life this is the kind of crap they are talking about. It would have taken a LEO 2 minutes to look up the owner and assuming they found them call and say "I have a guy here asking about your boat, is it ok if I give him your phone number?"

thinkxingu 09-12-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 319501)
When people complain about the loss of small town life this is the kind of crap they are talking about. It would have taken a LEO 2 minutes to look up the owner and assuming they found them call and say "I have a guy here asking about your boat, is it ok if I give him your phone number?"

Agreed. It even sounded like he may have looked it up while I was on the line with him.

I see it as a win-win for everyone: if it's abandoned, I'll take care of it so the problem goes away. If it's not, the owner is reminded s/he has property. In both cases, the PD has one less thing to deal with.

jbolty 09-12-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 319503)
Agreed. It even sounded like he may have looked it up while I was on the line with him.

I see it as a win-win for everyone: if it's abandoned, I'll take care of it so the problem goes away. If it's not, the owner is reminded s/he has property. In both cases, the PD has one less thing to deal with.

Exactly. Instead of solving a problem let's make a big production out of it and involve 5-6 more people then have a meeting about it. When the entire town of Moultonboro had about 6 employees it was far better for the tax payers, stuff got done better and more efficiently and with less frustration.

Hillcountry 09-12-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 319494)

I'll bet he would take any offer...

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/roch...973403431.html

Cal Coon 09-12-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 319501)

They didn't seem to mind taking the 2 minutes to call the tow company that was on call one Sunday afternoon last year to have my trailer towed from Downing's Landing because it was parked without a truck hooked up to it. It was perfectly legal, plate was on it, think they could have called me first, nope, just had it towed about 8 miles down the road at a cost of 200.00 to get it back so I could get my boat out of the water. I thought it was stolen when I first got back, but someone there said they saw the tow truck take it away. It was 6pm on a Sunday night, Alton police Dept had an answering service on call, so I had to drive around Alton looking for a cruiser so I could ask the cop where my trailer was. Come to find out, it wasn't Alton that had it towed, it was F&G. So you see, sometimes they don't mind picking up that phone and making that 2 minute phone call, when all they had to do was take the 2 minutes to look up my phone number and call me...

thinkxingu 09-12-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 319506)
I'll bet he would take any offer...

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/roch...973403431.html

I saw that, but I was a little concerned about it being fiberglass and I don't know how I'd move it with a "not road worthy" trailer. Thanks for looking out!

Descant 09-12-2019 08:18 PM

WQrong place

To me, a perfect example of when the Forum is the least likely place to get good info in a timely manner, especially with skimpy info about previous activities and attempts.

1.Talk to neighbors where the boat is located
2. Talk to the HOA Check the by-laws
3. Talk to local PD.
4. Town abandoned property auction? Every town has one.

thinkxingu 09-12-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 319522)
To me, a perfect example of when the Forum is the least likely place to get good info in a timely manner, especially with skimpy info about previous activities and attempts.

1.Talk to neighbors where the boat is located
2. Talk to the HOA Check the by-laws
3. Talk to local PD.
4. Town abandoned property auction? Every town has one.

Did you even read my posts above? I said exactly the things you suggested.

Hillcountry 09-12-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 319512)
I saw that, but I was a little concerned about it being fiberglass and I don't know how I'd move it with a "not road worthy" trailer. Thanks for looking out!

Oops! I thought it was all aluminum! Yeah, good call.

Descant 09-16-2019 09:43 AM

Maybe you don't need a trailer

Sometimes you can do without a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVEmXzHz5A