Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kayaks/SUP's and Loons (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22632)

MalibuResponse 09-20-2017 03:02 PM

Kayaks/SUP's and Loons

Just curious. The more time I spend on the lake the more I have noticed more and more people on SUP's and in kayaks getting as closely as possible to loons, sometimes within a few feet. I thought that this was looked down upon?

camp guy 09-20-2017 03:48 PM

Kayaks/SUPs and Loons

I have no idea what the "legal" law is in this case, but the "common sense" law would be to stay away, totally; however, some of the users of kayaks and SUPs act as if they have an environmental "hall pass" and can do whatever they want - not ALL, but certainly some.

rsmlp 09-20-2017 04:08 PM

The loons can and do swim away so...

Outdoorsman 09-20-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuResponse (Post 285976)
Just curious. The more time I spend on the lake the more I have noticed more and more people on SUP's and in kayaks getting as closely as possible to loons, sometimes within a few feet. I thought that this was looked down upon?

Really? You have actually seen people getting within A FEW FEET of... (choose any wildlife)? Just Curious...

jazzman 09-20-2017 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There was at least 1 Loon just off the Wolfeboro docks during the vintage boat regatta right in the path of all the action. I assume it would have left if it was being bothered but I did fear it might get hit. It would just duck under the water if a boat came too close. It's hard to tell from the perspective in this picture, but it was within 50 feet of the race line

I think they're pretty good at taking care of themselves unless they're nesting or with young chicks.

Descant 09-20-2017 04:50 PM

The ones who think the sign that says "Loon Nesting Area" means come in for a closer look. Same people who go to Yellowstone and want to take a selfie with a bear or buffalo.

tis 09-20-2017 05:28 PM

They do go too close and they should not. I don't know what they are thinking as they inch closer and closer and the loon feels threatened.

Woody38 09-20-2017 06:30 PM

I have noticed a number of Loons in the area of the Weirs for the past several weeks. Some even sitting on breakwaters.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

chachee52 09-20-2017 07:06 PM

My father in law and I were kayaking around Green Basin this spring and a couple loons actually popped up about 10 feet from us. They were swimming along side of us for a while. We no means tried to kayak to them, nor did we try to stay with them. The loons swam with us for a few minutes. So I think that it could go both ways, people are stupid sometimes and try to get to close, other times animals are curious and want to figure out whats going on.

Hillcountry 09-20-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 285995)
I have noticed a number of Loons in the area of the Weirs for the past several weeks. Some even sitting on breakwaters.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Are you sure they're not cormorants? Lots of those in the witches at all times...

thinkxingu 09-21-2017 04:24 AM

I was going to respond, but I had to cross the street to avoid some chipmunks.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

MeredithMan 09-21-2017 09:00 AM

While we're kvetching about Paddleboard people....

....why are they always out on their boards either a) without a lifejacket/PFD anywhere in sight; or b) the lifejacket/PFD is laying on the board and not on their body?

MeredithMan 09-21-2017 09:16 AM

kayaks too....

....also see a lot of folks out in 'yaks doing the same thing. In fact, a guy flipped his 'yak out in my cove last summer and when it was clear he couldn't right the thing, Mrs MM and I went out in the boat and got him put back together....no PFD anywhere in sight.

I know that not everyone in 'yaks and SUPS does this, but for those that do, I just don't get it...

FlyingScot 09-21-2017 09:54 AM

Not to anthropomorphize, but loons vary just like people vary. We have one that regularly surfaces near my kayak, but obviously there are many on the lake who stay away.

But regardless of any boater's individual experience--you'd have to be a jerk to "chase" a loon or paddle past a sign warning of a nest.

jogator1 09-21-2017 05:13 PM

I completely agree to stay clear of a loon nesting location. It is obviously marked to stay clear not to notify those who would like to get up close. The state has done a tremendous job (along with many volunteers) to increase the numbers of loons on our lakes. Same goes to avoid loon mother with chick.

I do not understand those who take issue with a paddle board, kayak, canoe, boat, etc. "getting close to a loon". Blows me away. I couldn't count the amount of times a loon popped up from underwater within 15-20 feet of my boat or canoe. These are prehistoric animals that can certainly remove themselves from a stressful situation. Do you really think someone on a paddle board can get within the comfort zone of a loon? You're talking about a creature that swims fast enough to catch fish!

ApS 09-22-2017 04:51 AM

Even with a Draft of Three Feet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 286004)
Are you sure they're not cormorants? Lots of those in the witches at all times...

We had the first sighting of its type two days ago. A Cormorant perched overnight in a Hemlock tree, about 60 feet up. :eek2:

Loons are unable to perch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterG (Post 286026)
Not to anthropomorphize, but loons vary just like people vary. We have one that regularly surfaces near my kayak, but obviously there are many on the lake who stay away. But regardless of any boater's individual experience--you'd have to be a jerk to "chase" a loon or paddle past a sign warning of a nest.

Anthropormorphize away! Every critter is sufficiently different to allow Evolution to take place. When they're not, they're bound for extinction.

When sailing, it's not unusual for a Loon to pop to the surface within a few feet of the boat. Some make the abbreviated Ah-h°°°! "warning-signal". Some give the spread-wing "Loon-Threat". Some look under water several seconds and—even oxygen-depleted—dive again. Some give me the "Evil Eye".

I've even gotten soaked from a quick Loon "escape".

/

Major 09-22-2017 01:19 PM

Paddle Boarding

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 286019)
....why are they always out on their boards either a) without a lifejacket/PFD anywhere in sight; or b) the lifejacket/PFD is laying on the board and not on their body?

Because it sucks wearing a life jacket while paddle boarding. I will never wear one, but have it on my paddle board just to appease the MP.

WakeboardMom 09-22-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 286094)
Because it sucks wearing a life jacket while paddle boarding. I will never wear one, but have it on my paddle board just to appease the MP.

I agree, it does suck. But I wear mine because I'm not a strong swimmer and I'm not allowed by family to go out on the paddleboard without it.

fatlazyless 09-22-2017 03:01 PM

In New Hampshire, sup paddle boarders, age 12 and younger are required to be wearing a pfd. Above age 12, to have a pfd on board the sup for each person. A sound producing device such as a whistle is also required....one whistle/sup board.

Plus, a white light, 360-degree visible for two miles, is also required per the time of sunset/sunrise, just like a boat. Is there a baseball cap with a nav light atop the cap.....like a light house cap......or something?

www.myfwc.com/boating/regulations/paddleboard/

Have to wonder what's the open container law in NH, on a sup paddle board? Can one legally wear a baseball cap with a cup holder attached to the cap, with an open 16-oz can of Beck's Beer? Recall NH open container law is different for boats, than for motor vehicles-cars....consider law on non motorized boats like a sup???

But your honor, I was out there on my paddle board with just the paddle and a cold beer ....when this loon surfaced nearby and started to harass me. It made me spill my beer?:eek: