Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sophie C... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24397)

garysanfran 05-07-2019 06:44 AM

Sophie C...

Do we get the Mail Boat back this year?

Barney Bear 05-07-2019 07:47 AM

High and Dry

In late March, we drove through Center Harbor on our home from a visit in the area. We stopped to check on the Mount in her winter berth. On the marine way next to her rested the Sophie C. Her upper structure was covered, but her bare bottom was visible, and without paint. Would be surprised if we see her delivering mail to East Bear Island this season. 🐻

MAXUM 05-07-2019 10:58 AM

Had to run to the hardware store in Center Harbor this past weekend, by boat of course, and yeah the Sophie C is still out of the water. I didn't go over to take a look to see if there was any activity.

webmaster 05-07-2019 06:01 PM

I was just told by the owner that the Doris E. will again fill in on the mail run this year (2019) while they decide what to do about the extensive work needed to get the Sophie C. back into service.

Here she is in better days:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...10_B_030-2.jpg

joey2665 05-07-2019 06:20 PM

That’s terrible news. She is a big part of the lake and lake history.

Did it just sit in dry dock last year ? I thought they were working on it or while repairing did they find additional issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheTimeTraveler 05-07-2019 06:46 PM

A curiosity question; Does USPS Postage Stamp Revenue pay for the maintenance and operation of the Sophie C ?

TheProfessor 05-07-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 311095)
A curiosity question; Does USPS Postage Stamp Revenue pay for the maintenance and operation of the Sophie C ?

No is the short answer.
The Post Office does not own any boats.

in this situation the moving of the mail is a contract with a private transportation company. The maintenance of said vehicles is the responsibility of the private contractor. Anyone can bid on the contract. Go for it !

fatlazyless 05-08-2019 04:21 AM

If they set up a go-fund me page that includes a mailing address for mailing a check, probably a lot of different people could mail them small checks like 10-20-25 dollars ..... just to help out?

Wouldn't you mail in ten dollars to help repair and fix the leaky steel hull on the 70' long, 70+ year old, World War II era, Sophie C, mail and cruise boat?

Probably, just needs a sheet of pressure treated plywood and a gallon of Bondo, and it is good to go!

garysanfran 05-08-2019 08:34 AM

Save the Sophie C...

I'd donate. I hate to see a bit of nostalgia gone forever.

MAXUM 05-08-2019 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 311108)
If they set up a go-fund me page that includes a mailing address for mailing a check, probably a lot of different people could mail them small checks like 10-20-25 dollars ..... just to help out?

Wouldn't you mail in ten dollars to help repair and fix the leaky steel hull on the 70' long, 70+ year old, World War II era, Sophie C, mail and cruise boat?

Probably, just needs a sheet of pressure treated plywood and a gallon of Bondo, and it is good to go!

Nah about 30,000 rattle cans of flex seal. Fixes that pesky leaking floor made of a screen door so it would fix ANYTHING!

It's on TV and the Internet so it has to be true.

Descant 05-08-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 311120)
I'd donate. I hate to see a bit of nostalgia gone forever.

Agreed. But I wonder if there is enough market at the Weirs. There used to be, in addition to the Sophie C , 8 Miss Winnipesaukee speedboats, the Uncle Sam(s), several "Foxy" boats and rental boats. As each of these aged out, the market wasn't there to make replacement worthwhile. So many people now own their own boats, a scenic tour isn't as unique as it once was.
On the other hand, recall the Sophie's original mission was to shuttle from the Weirs to Wolfeboro before the Mount's engines were replaced after the war. I wonder if there is a market for a shuttle from Meredith to Wolfeboro? Meredith and Wolfeboro are now the leading destinations, are they not?

The Real BigGuy 05-08-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Well, sort of. Postage pays for the delivery contract and out of that the contractor has to pay maintenance.

LIforrelaxin 05-08-2019 02:25 PM

Does anyone have any details on exactly what they are finding wrong with the M/V Sophie C.

LIforrelaxin 05-08-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 311136)
Does anyone have any details on exactly what they are finding wrong with the M/V Sophie C.

Found the answer to my own question:

https://cruisenh.com/blogs/news/what...h-the-sophie-c

Outdoorsman 05-08-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

The short and long answer.

Sophie C is a "for profit" vessel, same as the MS Mount Washington. Both charge passengers to board and ride.

The difference is that Sophie C also contracts with the USPS (They get paid to deliver mail). So their model is a 2 hour cruise that customers pay for ($28 PP), plus they get federal monies for delivering mail to a few people along the way.

The Real BigGuy 05-09-2019 07:00 AM

Do they get additional funding because they are a US post office?

joey2665 05-09-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 311153)
Do they get additional funding because they are a US post office?

No it is a contract with the USPS that they have to bid for each time the contract expires. So they receive just the contract price and no additional fund. I am also sure they are the only company bidding on the contract.

Poor Richard 05-09-2019 10:50 AM

Is there enough mail being delivered on the lake where a boat that size is required?

Also, the cost to repair the hull....fair to say it ends up a 6-figure proposition?

As far as hull integrity, what would be used in order to obtain the condition of the hull? Is this a density measurement technology being used or some other method?

I find it is such a curious thing to see that boat dry docked however it has definitely sparked wonder and a few great conversations with my daughter.

joey2665 05-09-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 311169)
Is there enough mail being delivered on the lake where a boat that size is required?

Also, the cost to repair the hull....fair to say it ends up a 6-figure proposition?

As far as hull integrity, what would be used in order to obtain the condition of the hull? Is this a density measurement technology being used or some other method?

I find it is such a curious thing to see that boat dry docked however it has definitely sparked wonder and a few great conversations with my daughter.

Remember the USPS contract is not the only source of revenue for the Sophie C. I do not know the percentages but at 28.00 per person the passenger fees bring in significant revenue in season and mail is also only delivered in season. I am sure the route makes some money otherwise it would not have been delivering mail for the past 73 years.

Usually sound, heat and stress tests are typically used to measure the density of a steel hull for integrity.

fatlazyless 05-27-2019 05:36 AM

....apparently ..... look'n at the photo .... all the old paint probably got sand blasted off ..... looks just like a ship repair yard in Louisiana or someplace.

Will the Sophe C get sold off for junk steel or will it be up and doing the mail, again?

tis 05-27-2019 06:36 AM

This makes me very sad. I always love the Sophie C !!!!!

Outdoorsman 06-01-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 311035)
Do we get the Mail Boat back this year?

Yes you will.

LACONIA — On June 15, the M/V Doris E. will begin delivering mail to many islands on the big lake. This will mark the 128th year of continuous mail service on Lake Winnipesaukee.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/comm...cf45be132.html

garysanfran 06-05-2019 08:14 AM

No mention of the Sophie C...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 312835)
Yes you will.

LACONIA — On June 15, the M/V Doris E. will begin delivering mail to many islands on the big lake. This will mark the 128th year of continuous mail service on Lake Winnipesaukee.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/comm...cf45be132.html

This article doesn't even mention the Sophie C. I think the news isn't that a 128 tradition continues, but that it seems a tradition has been discontinued...R.I.P. Sophie C?

LIforrelaxin 06-05-2019 11:45 AM

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the Sophie C. is on its way to Davey Jone's locker. Repairing the hull is likely to be a major undertaking, and the company needs to find the right contractor to bid on the work. Probably not an easy task, especially where the boat is so far inland.

When they pulled her on the dry dock and stripped the paint, I figured something long term was about to happen. I would expect that by the end of this season, the fate of the Sophie C. will be known. If she is to get back into the water, it might still be another year or two.....

ApS 06-05-2019 04:10 PM

Watch the Towns Fight for Sophie C...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 312970)
This article doesn't even mention the Sophie C. I think the news isn't that a 128 tradition continues, but that it seems a tradition has been discontinued...R.I.P. Sophie C?

Fish like structure.
:look:

rick35 06-28-2019 10:28 AM

Doris has a new canopy

I like the new canopy on the Doris. My wife took the kids out on the Sophie years ago and I passed because I dont like that much sun. With the new canopy you can still enjoy the ride from on top but you get some shade. If you like sun you can sit in the bow. Nice upgrade.

dykg 06-28-2019 06:48 PM

SAVE the Sophie C.!!!

We need to keep supporting the effort to repair her and bring her back to the lake!!

MD88Pilot 08-01-2019 11:30 PM

Quick little update here. Supposedly repairs have started on the Sophie and it is "estimated" to be back in service next season. However, I would take anything you hear with a grain of salt unless its from the companies newsletter.

GodSmile 08-02-2019 12:26 PM

Yes

So this latest post gave me an excuse to jump in the boat and have a nice early morning ride to Center Harbor. There is indeed work being done on the Sophie. Will post pics a bit later.

Outdoorsman 08-07-2019 04:16 PM

https://www.wmur.com/article/wednesd...ffice/28591927

FYI, Tonight at 7PM

bilproject 08-08-2019 09:16 AM

Sophie expected to be back in water this year

From the captain of the Doris, the Sophie is expected to be repaired by September and refloated for trials. Fully back in service next year.

Barney Bear 08-08-2019 10:17 AM

Doris E Stars

There was a nice story about the Doris E as a mail boat on NH Chronicle WMUR Channel 9 last evening. Bear Island was featured on this interesting piece, including the East Bear Island location where the mail bag hangs on a private dock. The historic post office at North Bear was also featured, where adults, kids, and dogs pick up treats. 🐻

dykg 08-09-2019 10:18 PM

Yay! I will love seeing the Sophie C again on the Lake! And hearing it’s horn.

Overlake97 09-05-2019 02:24 PM

Sophie C back on the water?

I heard a rumor that the Sophie C is back in business, and back on the water. Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

MAXUM 09-05-2019 02:58 PM

Inaccurate rumor unless it was magically fixed, painted and launched in the past 4 days. As of last weekend it was still sitting there in dry dock as previously pictured.

TiltonBB 09-05-2019 07:30 PM

No Miracles here!

1 Attachment(s)
7:30 Thursday Night.

She just needs a light buff out and good to go!

Descant 09-05-2019 09:03 PM

Really?

Wait a minute. That's Dan's line. No plagiarism here, please.

LIforrelaxin 09-06-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 319038)
Inaccurate rumor unless it was magically fixed, painted and launched in the past 4 days. As of last weekend it was still sitting there in dry dock as previously pictured.

I am not sure I would expect to see here painted before she get dipped in the lake for a soak test...... I would think, that once they believe all the issues have been addressed, they will slip her into the water, and tie her to the dock for a few days, (maybe even start the engines), and then pull her back out to paint and finish her up....

With all that said, I don't expected given the nature of the work, for us to see M/V Sophie C going around the lake until next summer. She has been undergoing major work, and has been sitting for some time.... she needs to be gently brought back to life......

bilproject 09-16-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 319079)
I am not sure I would expect to see here painted before she get dipped in the lake for a soak test...... I would think, that once they believe all the issues have been addressed, they will slip her into the water, and tie her to the dock for a few days, (maybe even start the engines), and then pull her back out to paint and finish her up....

With all that said, I don't expected given the nature of the work, for us to see M/V Sophie C going around the lake until next summer. She has been undergoing major work, and has been sitting for some time.... she needs to be gently brought back to life......

They did an air test by pressurizing the hull. There is an air tight hatch.

steve c 09-23-2019 11:29 AM

Went by there Saturday and the bottom has fresh paint which is a good sign for a spring launch.

MAXUM 09-23-2019 10:59 PM

Usually it sits in center harbor right by the Mount. I doubt they will splash her this late in the year.

Descant 09-24-2019 11:59 AM

drydock rotation

Nowadays, There seems to be a service rotation through the drydock, with the remaining two boats in the water. I recall some decades ago seeing both the Sophie and the Doris on the drydock at the same time, but it was so long ago, it could have been the General, not the Doris.

Barney Bear 09-24-2019 10:58 PM

Boat Parade

Some years, the Sophie C, the Doris E, and the M/V Bear II from Camp Lawrence would share the marine way during the off-season.

fltsimguy 09-27-2019 12:25 PM

Anyone know when the Mount will go into dry dock? I heard somewhere it usually goes into dry dock every five years. Can’t remember when it was out last.

Barney Bear 09-27-2019 02:10 PM

Four's a Crowd

With the Sophie C still on the marine way, the Mount will probably enjoy the crisp waters of the lake this winter. ❄️