Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Electricity Supplier (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20079)

bclaker 12-08-2015 10:49 PM

Electricity Supplier

Has anyone switched from PSNH, now Eversource, to North American Power? If so, are you satisfied? Any complaints?

brk-lnt 12-09-2015 07:07 AM

I have, yes.

Overall the savings were fairly minimal, you're only saving on the power supply costs, NOT the distribution costs, taxes, etc.

Then at one point I got a letter from one of the companies because I switched too soon to something else that I owed them $50 or $100 because I didn't stay on their plan long enough. I tossed that letter, and never heard more about it, but the whole thing just became more of a hassle than it was worth to me.

For me, I determined I could get the same overall savings just by replacing a few bulbs with LEDs and similar things.

thinkxingu 12-09-2015 10:49 AM

A question that has always stopped me from changing companies is what happens to the infrastructure if enough people move? Do these alternate companies contribute to the maintenance of the grid?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

codeman671 12-09-2015 10:55 AM

I would not bother switching...Not worth it.

Switching also takes away any program benefits that you can get through Eversource such as rebates or energy efficiency programs.

We qualified for their home performance program this year, we are about to do $8500 worth of insulation and air sealing to our home which they will cover $4k of. Things like that make it worth staying.

8gv 12-09-2015 01:56 PM

My last house had electric heat and an inground pool with a heat pump. The few cents per kwh really mattered there. Without that stuff, not so much.

brk-lnt 12-09-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 254605)
A question that has always stopped me from changing companies is what happens to the infrastructure if enough people move? Do these alternate companies contribute to the maintenance of the grid?

You are charged for both on your bill. There is a generation charge, this is where you can switch suppliers, and also a distribution charge. Distribution is the infrastructure.

In theory, switching suppliers doesn't affect revenue to the distribution company to maintain the "grid".

bclaker 12-09-2015 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I Think I'll stick with Eversource

ITD 12-11-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 254605)

They've separated out the generation charges and the grid charges. If you "change companies" it is only for the power generation charges, you still have to pay the company that owns the wires to your home transmission (grid) charges.