Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Island propane delivery (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26942)

CampEye 04-20-2021 09:35 AM

Island propane delivery
 
I have a 1,000 gallon propane tank on Camp Island in Gilford that is due for a fill. Can anyone recommend a company to come fill it that charges a fair price to get it out here? Thanks!

Descant 04-20-2021 08:48 PM

100?
 
1000 gallons is a lot considering that most islanders use 100 gallon tanks and a two wheel cart. Call whoever you use for regular barge service--they should be able to connect you with somebody who will put a truck on a barge, same as pum ping your septic system. I use Island Construction 998-6645. Ben can do most everything--no need to juggle a list of subs.

steve-on-mark 04-21-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 354011)
1000 gallons is a lot considering that most islanders use 100 gallon tanks and a two wheel cart. Call whoever you use for regular barge service--they should be able to connect you with somebody who will put a truck on a barge, same as pum ping your septic system. I use Island Construction 998-6645. Ben can do most everything--no need to juggle a list of subs.

There's no power on Camp...and generators can suck up the propane!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

CampEye 04-21-2021 01:28 PM

@steve - if you're offering, I can just grab about a mile of underwater cable and plug in at your dock. :-)

Being new here, I don't yet have a 'barge guy'. I'm usually self-sufficient for hauling things out here, but 1,000 gallons of propane is a wee bit more than my old 23' Penn Yan can carry.

Little Bear 04-21-2021 02:12 PM

Try Kevin Beckett at Lake Winnipesaukee Island Property Management @ 603-707-6674. They occasionally put a propane truck on their barge to fill the tanks at the Sandy Island Camp, so maybe you could tie in a delivery with that.

steve-on-mark 04-21-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampEye (Post 354079)
@steve - if you're offering, I can just grab about a mile of underwater cable and plug in at your dock. :-)

Being new here, I don't yet have a 'barge guy'. I'm usually self-sufficient for hauling things out here, but 1,000 gallons of propane is a wee bit more than my old 23' Penn Yan can carry.

Ok I guess, but you'd better be sneaky about it when you connect...if my wife sees you doing it, she might come at you with a hatchet! [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

swnoel 04-26-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 354084)
Try Kevin Beckett at Lake Winnipesaukee Island Property Management @ 603-707-6674. They occasionally put a propane truck on their barge to fill the tanks at the Sandy Island Camp, so maybe you could tie in a delivery with that.


That's not gonna be cheap!

Pine Island Guy 04-29-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampEye (Post 353960)
I have a 1,000 gallon propane tank on Camp Island in Gilford that is due for a fill. Can anyone recommend a company to come fill it that charges a fair price to get it out here? Thanks!

Kevin Beckett is the only game in town to fill a 1,000 gallon tank on an island. He took over the propane business from George Randall and previous posters are correct, he loads an Amerigas truck on the Kitty Belle barge piloted by George.

It's worth being there when they do the fill to enjoy the side-paddle barge pull up, and have an extended chat with George (who was working at Camp Idlewild when I was a camper there in the 60s). He's still smoking Camel straights and I'm pretty sure he shares the same gene pool with Keith Richards.:D

Message me if you would like additional info -PIG

ps: they will only fill 800 gallons to leave headroom for expansion etc

TheProfessor 04-30-2021 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampEye (Post 353960)
I have a 1,000 gallon propane tank on Camp Island in Gilford that is due for a fill. Can anyone recommend a company to come fill it that charges a fair price to get it out here? Thanks!

Just a question. How/who filled tank last time ?

CampEye 04-30-2021 02:01 PM

I'm a new owner as of last year, so it's my first time filling it.

Thanks for the tip on Kevin!

MAXUM 04-30-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 354011)
1000 gallons is a lot considering that most islanders use 100 gallon tanks and a two wheel cart. Call whoever you use for regular barge service--they should be able to connect you with somebody who will put a truck on a barge, same as pum ping your septic system. I use Island Construction 998-6645. Ben can do most everything--no need to juggle a list of subs.

Those are 100LB tanks - the contain only 25 gallons of propane when full.

They can be a handful when full getting in and out of a boat. I refill mine in the winter over the ice. Done it by boat but it is a pain to do so.

Pine Island Guy 05-01-2021 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those who haven't seen the Kitty Belle in action, here she is delivering 100# tanks to island customers... I believe Kevin is the only service authorized by a gas company (Amerigas) to load a truck on a barge and deliver to islands on Winnipesaukee... but I could also be wrong!

I have vague memories of the Kitty Belle in the early 60s, moored in the cove at Black Cat, and both the barge and island were owned by the Chipmans... at that point I believe her primary use was laying underwater electric and phone cables to the islands...

Enjoy the beautiful weekend! -PIG


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.