Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   American Air Systems (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19292)

Greene's Basin Girl 06-04-2015 04:40 PM

American Air Systems

American Air Systems out of Conway/ Center Harbor put in Central Air throughout our home several years ago. They call every spring to set up our annual maintenance. It was scheduled for this afternoon. I called at 2pm and the employee said I was on the schedule. Needless to say that they never showed up. I am wondering if anyone would recommend another company that performs this service? It is so disappointing when this happens. A phone call would have been appreciated.

ITD 06-04-2015 05:01 PM

I would reschedule with them, there are way too few hvac companies around the lake for the number of systems that need service. Trust me, I called them all and had luck with none, unless you are doing an install or are a regular customer they won't have time for you. My experience, yours may vary.

DickR 06-04-2015 06:25 PM

Well, I have to wonder about just what's included in "annual maintenance" that you can't do yourself. Aside from the air filter, which you certainly can buy and replace yourself at lower cost, what is there? Check that the system comes on and cools the air? Check the refrigerant pressure as a check for a leak, that you'd know about if the system doesn't deliver on a hot day? Perhaps someone here can provide a more positive explanation of the need for having an annual maintenance service call.

My own heat pump system is of course reversible, so I get AC in warm weather. I buy/replace my own filters, and I monitor the system myself, which runs in one mode or the other most of the year. "Monitoring" mostly consists of observing whether I get heat in the winter, AC in the summer. If something seemed wrong, then I'd explore in more depth, perhaps calling in an HVAC company to do things I can't. But after four years of service-free operation, having an annual expense to tell me "Yep, she's a workin" doesn't seem appropriate.

ITD 06-04-2015 06:35 PM

That's pretty much it, the only thing I would add is to clean the condenser coils and make sure the condensate drain is clean and clear.

Smokienorm 06-05-2015 12:07 PM

A/C Service

Home Energy in Belmont services ductless systems but I do not know if they do conventional central systems. They were very good when we had the ductless systems for several years so they might be worth a call.

Greene's Basin Girl 06-05-2015 01:07 PM

I want to thank everyone for all of their suggestions!

DesertDweller 06-05-2015 01:31 PM

I would give them a call back. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. Probably a case of them getting backed up with all of the start ups/annual maintenance checks.

In terms of what they do, yes they check the pressures, new filter, clean the condenser, and things like that. For $100 it's well worth it in my opinion. Run an air conditioning compressor on low pressure for a while and you will kill it.

rscalzo 06-05-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

That's pretty much it, the only thing I would add is to clean the condenser coils and make sure the condensate drain is clean and clear.
The company I use advised me against having that done every year. the chemicals they use are somewhat corrosive and it isn't needed.

nhcatrider 06-06-2015 09:19 AM

I spray mine with water to get the loose crap out of it and make sure the drain flows. As for an annual service, I pay for one every year just to make sure. 2 years ago we had a part that was failing but it isn't something the average homeowner is going to catch until it has failed and you either have no heat or ac. Personally, I think it's worth it for the peace of mind. And we use Total Climate Control out of Boscawen, called them for an emergency and they were there in 1/2 hour instead of the next day like the others said.

SIKSUKR 06-08-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rscalzo (Post 246274)
The company I use advised me against having that done every year. the chemicals they use are somewhat corrosive and it isn't needed.

You need to find somebody else. You in no way need chemicals to clean condenser coils and drainage holes. Simple water sprayed from a nozzle or compressed air is all you need. FWIW I have over 20 units to care for in my building.

donnamatrix 06-08-2015 02:38 PM

AM HVAC in Moultonboro

This is company we have used and they are great
AM HVAC
31 W Borne Cir, Moultonborough, NH 03254
(603) 476-8933