Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All we need is another jet ski topic. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25311)

Top-Water 01-19-2020 09:08 AM

All we need is another jet ski topic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a-Kq_wTPP7g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is something in the news about a head on collision on ABC new this morning ......... but I did not see the video.

thinkxingu 01-19-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 325503)
Should have bought the deep V hull model. :D

I've been doing a fair amount of jetski research (mostly Sea-Doo), and I think this guy would've had better luck avoiding the collision if he'd had the 2020 GTI SE 170.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Cal Coon 01-19-2020 10:53 AM

When you ride a jet ski the way this guy was riding, it's not a question of "if" something bad is going to happen, it's "when" something bad is going to happen. He should consider himself very lucky to have just lost his jet ski, and not his life... Back to the cliche's, "you can't fix stupid".

thinkxingu 01-19-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 325513)
This is a lesson in what not to do thinkxingu :D

I think he might have been fine with the GTX hull, which is supposed to be more stable.

ApS 01-19-2020 12:12 PM

Got Thrown from Sailboat with Two "Splitting the Difference"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325500)

There is something in the news about a head on collision on ABC new this morning ......... but I did not see the video.

Just when I was going to say, "Jet-Skis are idiot-proof".

thinkxingu 01-19-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325521)
I'll say it once again.

See, I teach my students to pick up sarcasm so they don't become you. I'll start adding /s so you get it, too.

DEJ 01-19-2020 12:41 PM

Lot of cabin fever going on here. :rolleye1:

Cal Coon 01-19-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 325523)
See, I teach my students to pick up sarcasm so they don't become you. I'll start adding /s so you get it, too.

The ONLY thing teacher's should be concerned about teaching is reading, writing, and arithmetic IMHO. Leave the rest to the parent(s).

thinkxingu 01-19-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 325533)
The ONLY thing teacher's should be concerned about teaching is reading, writing, and arithmetic IMHO. Leave the rest to the parent(s).

I appreciate the IMHO (honestly), but picking up sarcasm is among the skills students need to learn in reading (along with tone, mood, figurative language, etc.).

I joke about the /s, but the fact that it's a "thing" means people aren't good readers anymore. Nuance and subtlety are endangered species.

JEEPONLY 01-19-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 325523)

Ronald Reagan got away with this for years! He would poo-poo people by saying (with a big smile), "There you go again!."

Good one!!!

Susie Cougar 01-19-2020 03:07 PM

“I joke about the /s, but the fact that it's a "thing" means people aren't good readers anymore. Nuance and subtlety are endangered species.”

What do you mean by the /s? I consider myself a good reader but I don’t know what you mean by this.

thinkxingu 01-19-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 325538)
“I joke about the /s, but the fact that it's a "thing" means people aren't good readers anymore. Nuance and subtlety are endangered species.”

What do you mean by the /s? I consider myself a good reader but I don’t know what you mean by this.

/s is used on forums to point out that a comment is sarcastic or satirical.

winni83 01-19-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 325539)
/s is used on forums to point out that a comment is sarcastic or satirical.

From Urban Dictionary:

/s

“A sign used on the internet by stupid people to tell other stupid people that they are being sarcastic, in the process defeating the purpose of sarcasm in the first place, making the sign entirely useless except for detecting insecure or gullible people.”

This could explain a lot 😎

Cal Coon 01-19-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 325536)
Ronald Reagan got away with this for years! He would poo-poo people by saying (with a big smile), "There you go again!."

Good one!!!

And more often than not, he was right!!

Cal Coon 01-20-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 325595)
Why is it some lakes don't allow jet skies, Wicwas being one ?

Because when they first came out, (in the beginning of the cry baby, "entitlement society" era we are still going through to this day), somebody, somewhere, decided they didn't like them for whatever reason and raised Holy Hell over them. My guess would be because they run on gas and oil, and if this "somebody" could have their way (entirely), anything (on the lake), that runs on gas and oil would be banned completely... Just a hunch on my part. I could be wrong though. One of those situations where one or two people complain about something and ruin it for the rest of us. Seems to be common place in this cry baby, "entitlement society" we have created. (Sadly)

Biggd 01-21-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 325598)
Because when they first came out, (in the beginning of the cry baby, "entitlement society" era we are still going through to this day), somebody, somewhere, decided they didn't like them for whatever reason and raised Holy Hell over them. My guess would be because they run on gas and oil, and if this "somebody" could have their way (entirely), anything (on the lake), that runs on gas and oil would be banned completely... Just a hunch on my part. I could be wrong though. One of those situations where one or two people complain about something and ruin it for the rest of us. Seems to be common place in this cry baby, "entitlement society" we have created. (Sadly)

I certainly think that people have the right to voice their opinion on what is allowed and not allowed on a lake in which they own property. I wouldn't call them out as "cry babies".
If you're looking for a lake to Jet Ski there are plenty to choose from. Some people have different ideas of "lake life". Not everyone is into power water crafts.

Winnisquamer 01-21-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 325598)

We have created the classic "whoever complains the most and loudest gets the results in todays world." Started with Jetskis, then fast boats, next will be wakesurf boats then boats with speakers or exhaust then by my retirement time BiggD is right, we will only be allowed in a kayak or canoe with multiple reflective vests, air horns, GPS beacons and they'll need to be registered and inspected each time for zebra mussels or invasive species. Enjoy it now man!

Biggd 01-21-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 325612)
We have created the classic "whoever complains the most and loudest gets the results in todays world." Started with Jetskis, then fast boats, next will be wakesurf boats then boats with speakers or exhaust then by my retirement time BiggD is right, we will only be allowed in a kayak or canoe with multiple reflective vests, air horns, GPS beacons and they'll need to be registered and inspected each time for zebra mussels or invasive species. Enjoy it now man!

I think the problem today is the older generation doesn't like change and the younger generation is all about change.
That's always been the case but the biggest difference today is change happens much faster than it use too.

thinkxingu 01-21-2020 09:40 AM

Someone please clarify: today's jetskis--3-seaters--are allowed anywhere, because they're registered as boats, right? I thought the ban only applied to small craft?

Woodsy 01-21-2020 11:40 AM

Yes, the "Jetski" is actually designates as a "Ski craft"

Requirements Specific to "Ski Craft" New Hampshire law defines a “ski craft” as any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than two persons. This includes PWC designed to seat one or two persons.

So anything longer than 13 feet, with a capacity of more than 2 is not subject to the bans...

Woodsy

thinkxingu 01-21-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 325621)

Requirements Specific to "Ski Craft" New Hampshire law defines a “ski craft” as any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than two persons. This includes PWC designed to seat one or two persons.

So anything longer than 13 feet, with a capacity of more than 2 is not subject to the bans...

Woodsy

Ok, that's what I thought we'd parsed out previously. Thanks.

Dave R 01-21-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 325621)

Woodsy

Just wanted to point out that a <13' vessel that carries 3 or more people is not a "ski craft" in NH, the way I read it. Otherwise my 10' 2" dinghy that carries up to 4 and tops out around 23 MPH would be considered a "ski craft" and I seriously doubt that is the intent of the law.

Woodsy 01-21-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 325626)
Just wanted to point out that a <13' vessel that carries 3 or more people is not a "ski craft" in NH, the way I read it. Otherwise my 10' 2" dinghy that carries up to 4 and tops out around 23 MPH would be considered a "ski craft" and I seriously doubt that is the intent of the law.

Perhaps you should take it up with the state..... The RSA does exclude outboard powered boats such as your dinghy.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-73.htm

Woodsy

Dave R 01-21-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 325640)
Perhaps you should take it up with the state..... The RSA does exclude outboard powered boats such as your dinghy.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-73.htm

Woodsy

I think it's good as written. The key word is "and".

"any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than two persons."

Cal Coon 01-21-2020 07:14 PM

I could be mistaken, but I don't think (any) manufacturer(s) even make a watercraft that is banned anywhere any more. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

thinkxingu 01-22-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325652)
:confused::confused:

Keep these two things in mind the state can ban anything it likes and Jetskis increase global warming. They just have to find the right excuse and a way to profit from it.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/...abrook-estuary

"Janvrin said the new law already existed as a New Hampshire Fish and Game rule but that it was only enforceable by Fish and Game’s Marine Patrol."

It sounds like this is nothing new--the"new" law would just allow other law enforcement agencies to enforce it.

What's the original law? To stay away from delicate/protected waterways? Would that be the same as applies to loon breeding areas?

Dave R 01-22-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 325645)
I could be mistaken, but I don't think (any) manufacturer(s) even make a watercraft that is banned anywhere any more. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

There are definitely 2 person PWCs manufactured today. I think Yamaha and Kawasaki still make 1 person PWCs too.

thinkxingu 01-22-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 325658)
There are definitely 2 person PWCs manufactured today. I think Yamaha and Kawasaki still make 1 person PWCs too.

The Sea-Doo Sparks, probably their best selling machines, are mostly 2-seaters. Does this mean they're not welcome on Squam whereas the larger skis would be? And who regulates that?

Dave R 01-22-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 325659)
The Sea-Doo Sparks, probably their best selling machines, are mostly 2-seaters. Does this mean they're not welcome on Squam whereas the larger skis would be? And who regulates that?

Assuming "ski craft" are prohibited on Squam Lake, 2 person Sparks would be illegal there. Any LEO could enforce the ski craft law and the state legislature regulates the law.

NH adopted a new law last year regarding ski craft that expands on the old ski craft definition to include 3 person PWCs:

270:74-c Personal Water Craft. –
I. In this section, "personal water craft" means a motor boat 16 feet or less in length that is propelled by jet pump, not propellers, where the operator and riders stand, kneel, straddle, or sit on, rather than inside, the craft.
II. No person shall operate a personal water craft within 300 feet of any marsh land or flat in the Hampton/Seabrook estuary without regard to tide height.

Source. 2019, 52:1, eff. June 5, 2019.

Biggd 01-22-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 325662)
Assuming "ski craft" are prohibited on Squam Lake, 2 person Sparks would be illegal there. Any LEO could enforce the ski craft law and the state legislature regulates the law.

NH adopted a new law last year regarding ski craft that expands on the old ski craft definition to include 3 person PWCs:

270:74-c Personal Water Craft. –
I. In this section, "personal water craft" means a motor boat 16 feet or less in length that is propelled by jet pump, not propellers, where the operator and riders stand, kneel, straddle, or sit on, rather than inside, the craft.
II. No person shall operate a personal water craft within 300 feet of any marsh land or flat in the Hampton/Seabrook estuary without regard to tide height.

Source. 2019, 52:1, eff. June 5, 2019.

I don't think I've ever seen a Jet Ski of any kind on Squam?

Little Bear 01-22-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 325665)
I don't think I've ever seen a Jet Ski of any kind on Squam?

I've put my 3-seater on Squam many times. It's a great day trip. Yard Islands make a great stop for lunch. Shallow, clean and uninhabited, (but private) so don't set foot on land out of respect for the owner. I've been screamed at and flipped off by "Ethel Thayer" on more than one occasion, but I just laugh, wave and move on.

Hillcountry 01-22-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 325669)
I've put my 3-seater on Squam many times. It's a great day trip. Yard Islands make a great stop for lunch. Shallow, clean and uninhabited, (but private) so don't set foot on land out of respect for the owner. I've been screamed at and flipped off by "Ethel Thayer" on more than one occasion, but I just laugh, wave and move on.

Lol seems there is an “Ethel Thayer” on most lakes and ponds...:rolleye2:

Susie Cougar 01-22-2020 11:29 AM

Do you mean the real Ethel Thayer from the movie on Golden Pond?

Little Bear 01-22-2020 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 325678)
Do you mean the real Ethel Thayer from the movie on Golden Pond?

Yes, that Ethel Thayer.

"Hey Ethel, that bastard on the jet ski just hit the same damn rock that I hit in my Chris Craft! Son of a BITCH!"

ApS 01-22-2020 02:25 PM

To Be "Legal"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 325669)
I've put my 3-seater on Squam many times. It's a great day trip. I've been screamed at and flipped off by "Ethel Thayer" on more than one occasion, but I just laugh, wave and Yard Islands make a great stop for lunch. Shallow, clean and uninhabited, (but private) so don't set foot on land out of respect for the owner.move on.

To be legal, your picnic table legs should all be wet in lake water. :rolleye1:

Little Bear 01-22-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 325687)
To be legal, your picnic table legs should all be wet in lake water. :rolleye1:

Who said anything about a picnic table? :rolleye1:

dickiej 01-23-2020 08:00 PM

"Get off my lawn" (lake)...