Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   NH is one of only 3 states where cases continue to decrease (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26003)

StevenGilford 07-03-2020 03:23 PM

NH is one of only 3 states where cases continue to decrease

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Overall we have done a great job limiting the spread of the virus, and keeping our population (especially the elderly) safe.

It was said at the start of the pandemic that we would never know if we overreacted, but we would know if we underreacted.

Now we can see what happens in other states when things open up too soon and too fast.

Let's keep up the good work, wear masks and maintain social distancing!

StevenGilford 07-07-2020 06:17 AM

We are now the only state that has seen a decline in the past 2 weeks (and even that seems to be leveling out).

Some other states are ‘mostly the same’. Most are ‘rising’.

Grant 07-07-2020 02:02 PM

Impressive, considering NH's proximity to the hotspot that is MA, and in light of the number of MA residents who visit the state for work, and the Lakes Region on weekends, etc.

Then again, NH's lower population density and "inherent" social distancing make transmission less likely. I see it here in my own county in PA, where the higher-density boroughs and townships have MUCH higher infection rates, while those that are more rural have much lower rates. It makes sense. Less contact = lower infection.

Hopefully the folks in TX, FLA and other high-rate areas will see the light and stop viewing restrictions such as mask wearing and social distancing as infringements on their freedoms, and accept them as temporary necessities/inconveniences needed to thwart the spread so we can all GET BACK TO WORK and stop this.

thinkxingu 07-07-2020 02:17 PM

Two things of note: 1. https://theweek.com/articles/923075/...avirus-failure 2. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...9&id=551528338

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 07-07-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 338369)

Baker has done a commendable job in Ma. A big percentage of the deaths have been in elderly facilities before he could get a handle on things.
But there are some on here, who would disagree because they make their living in the liberal State of Ma but live in NH and feel they are being deprived of their civil rights.
To those people I say, stay in NH and do you business from there instead. Live Free or Die in NH.
Point is, NH is a resort State and they need out of Staters esp from Ma. They support the NH economy.

Winilyme 07-07-2020 08:45 PM

Being from CT, I haven't followed what Baker has done

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 338392)
Baker has done a commendable job in Ma. A big percentage of the deaths have been in elderly facilities before he could get a handle on things.
But there are some on here, who would disagree because they make their living in the liberal State of Ma but live in NH and feel they are being deprived of their civil rights.
To those people I say, stay in NH and do you business from there instead. Live Free or Die in NH.
Point is, NH is a resort State and they need out of Staters esp from Ma. They support the NH economy.

However, I have friends in MA who also speak highly of his response.

Mr. V 07-08-2020 12:15 AM

Let's take a look at the situation at the end of the summer.

If an influx of tourists flock to the lakes region I suspect your infection rate will rise dramatically.

gravy boat 07-08-2020 12:24 PM

Considering how busy it was over the Fourth of July weekend we should know in 2 or so weeks if out of staters create a "surge" in the number of positives.

tis 07-08-2020 12:35 PM

We have already had that influx! It has been busier than we have ever seen it.

Mr. V 07-08-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 338437)
We have already had that influx! It has been busier than we have ever seen it.

I suppose it depends on the level of personal protection the locals employ when interacting with infected tourists.

Me, I use both a mask and a pair of wrap-around glasses as I understand the eye is a likely point of entry for that nasty virus.

erk 07-12-2020 08:38 AM

It's going to happen with the influx of people...let's just hope it's manageable and we don't overwhelm the health care system. Remember it's not about zero cases that's never going to happen but making sure we keep the cure as flat as possible and have available heath care for those that need it!

Isolate if feeling unwell and get tested
Keep your social distancing
If you travel and stay in other states for an extended period of time please lay low for a bit when you return or get tested!
Wash your hand and wear the damn mask!!

WinnisquamZ 07-12-2020 11:33 AM

NH residents know how to isolate that is why we moved here. Also, believe being outside has a greater benefit then what is being said. Inside recirculated air, no thanks. Good work people.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 07-12-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 338717)
NH residents know how to isolate that is why we moved here. Also, believe being outside has a greater benefit then what is being said. Inside recirculated air, no thanks. Good work people.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Agreed! When I was a kid, my Dad, who has never lived in the state, used to explain our Summer neighbors by saying "the thing to remember about people in NH, is that that moved here to be alone".

If we stay apart, and wear masks to the store, we'll be spared the fate of Florida

Newbiesaukee 07-12-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 338727)
Agreed! When I was a kid, my Dad, who has never lived in the state, used to explain our Summer neighbors by saying "the thing to remember about people in NH, is that that moved here to be alone".

If we stay apart, and wear masks to the store, we'll be spared the fate of Florida

True...but the “if” in your last sentence is the tricky part.

ApS 07-12-2020 08:16 PM

NYTs Paywall...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 338727)

If we stay apart, and wear masks to the store, we'll be spared the fate of Florida.

Four of the five most-affected states are border states.

Florida had a huge influx abandoning New York City, where a certainty of death was measurable.

FlyingScot 07-12-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 338745)
Four of the five most-affected states are border states.

Florida had a huge influx abandoning New York City, where a certainty of death was measurable.

Good point. Upon reflection I must have been feeling optimistic when I wrote that. I should have said "maybe" or "let's hope...". I agree with your implication that Summer visitors are a real risk

jbolty 07-14-2020 04:49 PM

Who do you believe? over 330 labs reported results of 100% positive

https://1010wcsi.com/fox-health/coro...s-report-says/

Quote:

Incomplete reporting from some Florida laboratories resulted in errors on the state’s report on virus positivity rates, according to a Fox 35 News report.
“Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive,” Fox 35 News reported. “Other labs had very high positivity rates.”
Orlando Health, for example, reported a 98 percent positivity rate. Lee Memorial Hospital Lab, PanCare of Florida, Inc and Advance Medical of Naples all reported 100 percent positivity rates; no negative results were included.

FlyingScot 07-14-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 338944)
Who do you believe? over 330 labs reported results of 100% positive

https://1010wcsi.com/fox-health/coro...s-report-says/

Out of respect for Don, I am not going to engage in specifics on Florida. I only mentioned the state's covid performance in passing as something we all hope to avoid. If you read recent statements from the governor and Republican Convention planners, I think you'll see that my reference should not provoke debate. I hope they're able to get this under control soon, it's very sad and troubling.

Back to NH...