Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Got Boats? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157)

~~.*!Da little red Crownline!*.~~ 03-19-2004 09:21 PM

Got Boats?

ok, Im really bored sooooooooo...... what kinds of boats does every1 have? Any cool toys on 'em? GPS, Sonar, torpedos? lol

we just got a crownline 180 all red, racing graphics Thanks Kory at Channel! hmm...cool toys on it...... a steering wheel! :-P

Will 03-20-2004 09:06 PM

Re: Got Boats?

A beautiful, Doral here. Cool toys, yah we got em, GPS, Sonar, MPI motors, Image Stabilizers, Prosine 1000, Stainless Arch, 6 Speaker 500 watt Poly Planar Sounds system with woofer. and many more im sure im forgetting.
Will

Capn' Crunch 03-21-2004 11:36 AM

Good Will Boating

Mom & Dad going to let you drive the boat this year Bill?

DLB IV 03-21-2004 01:11 PM

2002 Doral 250 28.3 ft LOA cruser, 400W sound system, all the extra's. Need to add some more toys.
I am basically a fiberglass junkie

Biggus 03-21-2004 04:35 PM

We have a 38 Cigarette Top Gun with a pair of 750 Hawk blower motors. I'm towing it out to Wisconsin next month to have a pair of Konrad 540HP drives installed. These are the same drives used on the Navy Seal boats. Can't wait for summer!!!

Rattlesnake Gal 03-21-2004 05:13 PM

How fast is this baby going to go? Can't wait to see you out on the broads!

Will 03-21-2004 05:56 PM

Re: Good Will Boating

Funny.......

Biggus 03-21-2004 08:57 PM

I hope to see high 80's We are going to test it next month out in Wisconsin. I can't wait!!!

Shandy007 03-21-2004 10:53 PM

I've got a Rinker 282 Captiva Cuddy with plenty of cool toys to keep me busy. Aside from the normal jacked-up techno-tronics like GPS, Sound System, Fish finder, and what holds you...I like to personalize the ride with unique stuff. I keep a briefcase on board with various electronics such as hand-held video games and a sweet porta-DVD system with plasma screen. I got some old GI Joes, Go-Bots, Transformers, and jigsaws for any little people that are guests for the day. Plus, I have a battery operated fog machine and three hand held lasers that produce a bean that can be seen for up to 10 miles. That makes for some awfully fine night shows on the water on summer nights. I must be true though and say that my favorite toy on the boat is a farting machine. You can hide, press a radio controlled button, and it makes a nasty old farting sound that everyone can hear. On the boat, on the docks, or even in a local eatery...that thing has riled up some funny, funny moments.

It took so long to get the dough for the boat...I make sure I have as much fun as I can possibly be having on the summer nights!!

East as the crow flies for worms my friends!

worried 03-22-2004 08:19 AM

I've got a kayak with a tapered paddle, cup holder, deck bungees and a padded seat. Keep an eye out for me. ppppppleeeeeze

Biggus 03-22-2004 11:18 AM

Don't worry Worried! My wife and I appreciate and respect all forms of boating. As a matter of fact we are avid kayakers also.

Wary Boater 03-22-2004 11:29 AM

I wish you a lot of luck if you are near this boat. At 80 miles /hour, he is going 117 feet per second and is out of reasonable control for a crowded lake. If you are in a collision course and he sees you, he most likely can,t react quick enough to miss you.

Cal. 03-22-2004 12:11 PM

Biggus is smart enough not to be doing 80 mph in crowded conditions , as am I with my 1250 hp in my Formula. Can your car do 80? Right , but you don't do it all the time , do you? Well neither do we
Lets not forget , this is not a "one size fits all" lake.

Worried II 03-22-2004 12:16 PM

INSANE!!

Biggus 03-22-2004 12:34 PM

Easy, Wary Boater. I have many years experience behind the wheel of a high-powered vessel and have no intention of tearing through the lake when it's crowded. What fun would that be, just trouble from the Marine Patrol. But it sure will be fun on the weekdays! Not all high performance boaters are lunkheads.

Sammy Steroid 03-22-2004 01:03 PM

NH State Legislature / Speed Limit

Hopefully no State Legislators are reading this particularly macho thread.

This is just the kind of bravado/bragging that will help lead to an eventual lakewide speed limit.

To paraphrase the obvious;

"We have met the enemy, and it is US....."

Grady 223 03-22-2004 01:32 PM

I want to know where in Wisconsin he's going to find liquid water in mid April at least liquid enough to go 80mph.

PS: Grady White 223 Tournamanet here with 250 Yamaha Salt Water, full covers, auto trim tabs and GPS.

Boater 03-22-2004 01:33 PM

Yes, but just one lunkhead driving an offshore can run me over without hardly noticing. That's why there is so much concern.

A vehicle on the road that is many times as heavy and powerful as a normal car would require special licensing and more scrutiny and inspections by law enforcement. Why shouldn't this also apply to large, overpowered boats?

Flame away, but I DO consider boats like yours a threat to me and my family in our 18' bowrider.

Rattlesnake Gal 03-22-2004 02:04 PM

Is it my imagination or do the big boats like the big wave days or is that just a coincidence?

Belmont Resident 03-22-2004 05:28 PM

Yes but there are way more lunkheads driving family boats than you could ever hope to see driving performance boats. In general I find most performance boaters to be more attentive then other boaters.
Of course one bad apple in a 36 Baja proved that not everyone is as attentive but there are bad apples in every crowd.
Of course we have this same topic come up every year about this time.

Aquadeziac 03-22-2004 07:29 PM

Alas......still another person with more money than sense!!

madrasahs 03-22-2004 07:57 PM

Not all offshores are lunkheads? It only takes 1!

John 03-22-2004 08:01 PM

I agree that many go fast boats have the power and should be on the look out. I suggest to all kayak operators to defend your right to do so, and go on the offensive. How, by putting a bright color paint on your paddles, perhaps red on one side and lime green on the other so that you can wave them before you are used as a speed bump.

You may think that I am not being fair, but then sometimes some Kayaks are out and cannot be readily seen. And while I have not heard of any accidents, I don't want to either. So as the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Cal. 03-22-2004 10:46 PM

And we've found him

So lets move on to jet skis now , or the first time boaters in 18' bowriders , or the only time boaters in the rentals. I was on my way home from work the other night doing 50 to 52 mph in a 45 (I'm such a maniac) and somebody in an Escalade passed me ON THE SHOULDER! I guess they figured it was safer since we were on a curve. So all Cadillac drivers are terrible?

Paul1 03-23-2004 06:45 AM

How 'bout lake michigan

JvB 03-23-2004 07:55 AM

Re: And we've found him

No, but all offshores are. Listen, it takes a certian type of character to take a 50' boat into a lake the size of winni. It's generally some skinny guy who's got something to make up for, but is afraid to take his boat out on the ocean. Or at least, that's what I assume when I see one.

Biggus 03-23-2004 07:55 AM

We will be testing in the Mississippi. I've got so say how surprised I am over the attitudes here. I thought this was a thread about who had what for boats and it turned into an insult fest. I'm rather dissapointed with your lack of knowlege and narrowminded thinking. I am certain that my 38 Cigarette is quite a bit safer than you think!

Cal. 03-23-2004 10:00 AM

But some people don't want to think. They also see ONLY what they want to see too

Boater 03-23-2004 10:57 AM

An "insult fest"? Where?

So anyone who disagrees with you has lack of knowlege [sic] and is narrowminded? There are two sides to almost every issue, including this one.

What I see whenever the issue of offshores on Winni comes up here is several people expressing concerns about the "need for speed" that offshore owners like you seem to have, and the same few others constantly shouting them down for daring to express those concerns. It is very hard for many of us to understand why you want to replace motors that will go 70mph with motors that will take you over 80 on a lake that you SHARE with thousands of small family boats. Maybe you should explain that to us in a way we can understand.

I think you should step back a bit and try to be sensitive to the concerns of small boat operators who wouldn't have a chance in a collision with a large offshore. To dismiss their reasonable concerns just reinforces the image of offshore owners as arrogant and selfish.

IMHO

John 03-23-2004 11:24 AM

Its not the boat that is the problem its the operator. When the operators of the big boats think that canoes and kayaks are nothing more than speed bumps. boats don't really think for themselves, but the operator thinks it seems that they own the lake cause they are bigger.

going to test it on the Mighty Mississippi sounds like a great adventure at that. And perhaps that is a good place for the big boats. does anyone recall that in the early 60's the majority of the boats were 16' and less. Cates was a cop in Alton Bay and he had a 14' starcraft. He might not be able to catch you, but it seems that he knew where every boat was moored.

Tired of Waiting 03-23-2004 11:30 AM

Boater,

All though not a fest go down a few and you will find

"Alas......still another person with more money than sense!! "

Not a big insult but one none the less.

This is why I (and I'm sure others) don't post on this sight unless the thread hits a nerve as the one about skimming and rescue did for me.

ToW

fatlazyless 03-23-2004 11:35 AM

Re: Wednesdays, proposed no-noise boat day

Close your eyes and imagine this; A proclamation from our highly respected Governor, Craig Benson, proclaiming that all across New Hampshire, every Wednesday throughout the year, will be set aside as a no-noise day on each & every lake.

"By no-noise boating, I mean boating that makes no noise; like sailboats, row boats, kayaks, peddle boats, canoes, surfboards & inflatable rubber ducky rafts. Whereas, these bodies of water belong to the people of the State of NH, as a whole, and many will benefit by the return to the peace & quiet of all the lakes as they once were, without the ever present rackety-rack-rack noise of the infernal internal combustion engine, it shall be so proclaimed, or something like that!"

Thankyou very much Gov Benson! Hey, if he can turn US Rt 95 into a one-way only toll road because he got stuck in traffic for one hour on a saturday, last summer, then he should be invited to go boating some saturday next July and it will be a done deal, fo' sure.

Biggus 03-23-2004 11:53 AM

I'd say 'more money than brains' is kind of insulting! Sorry to have stirred up such a sour topic. I'd also like to mention that although I have enjoyed the lake in the past, our Cigarette has NEVER been on Winni. so relax and take a beather. I did not know Winnipesaukee was such an unfriendly place for sport boats.

GWC... 03-23-2004 12:27 PM

Remember the saying about "assume"...

Boater 03-23-2004 12:28 PM

A few negative comments doesn't make it an "insult fest". There is room for differing opinions on a forum like this, that's why many of us like it.

I don't think the lake is "an unfriendly place for sport boats" at all. Some people just think a forum like this is the right place to express concerns when the issue comes up. What's wrong with that?

Why not just respond to those with concerns in a thoughtful, reasonable way instead of just complaining about a few jabs. Can't your position withstand a little debate?

GWC... 03-23-2004 12:34 PM

Welcome to the Lake...

There are some who are envious and jealous of other's possessions.

Unfortunately, they are also rude and crude in venting there displeasure.

Worried II 03-23-2004 12:48 PM

It's no coincidence, the big boats MAKE the big waves!

skimmer 03-23-2004 01:25 PM

Unfortunetly there seems to be a very small minority group of people that seem to think they have more of a right to the lake than others.

Same group of people that want to legislate others as well due to their higher sense of whats right and whats not... Something that the rest of us do not have

That sentiment is not shared by the vast number of people.

I for one would love to see the cig on the lake...

FLboater 03-23-2004 03:03 PM

Is your Grady one of the new ones with the enclosed head? How does it ride in big wakes? I'm going to test drive one. It is smaller than my current boat and I'm concerned about it riding in the Gulf.

JvB 03-23-2004 03:03 PM

I do, your point?

JvB 03-23-2004 03:07 PM

Re: Welcome to the Lake...

And there are some who just laugh at what other people will spend money on.

madrasahs 03-23-2004 03:44 PM

Relax? Unfriendly? Take a breather? Sour topic?

Relaxing and taking a breather is no longer an option on a "closed system": an increasingly crowded lake.

I felt pretty secure in my 20-foot sailboat until I read of a "sport boat" that cut through the middle of a sailing 24-foot Colgate boat. That Colgate sailboat is five times heavier than mine. On a clear, calm, day its sails were raised on a mast that reaches over 30 feet above the water!

Note also the family who, twenty months ago, felt secure in their 24-foot powerboat until struck by a boat exactly like yours off Meredith. An airline captain, freshly enjoying his pension after decades of professional responsibility, was crushed to death .

That "sport boat" was traveling at ¼ the speed you seek.

Unfriendly? We live by what you do.

Cal. 03-23-2004 04:21 PM

"That "sport boat" was traveling at ¼ the speed you seek."

That would equate to 20 mph...a 38' cruiser could have done the same thing , so "sport boat" doesn't come into play! That was a case of operator error (more or less)
It's like that old saying " Guns don't kill people , people kill people"

Bink 03-23-2004 04:26 PM

"That sentiment is not shared by the vast number of people."

How do you know that? Did you take a poll?

I wonder..if you did take a poll and asked ALL boaters on the lake (not just your friends) if there should be SOME limitation on size, speed or horsepower how would the vote go...it could be very interesting.

Bink 03-23-2004 04:44 PM

Re: Welcome to the Lake...

The claim that anyone who worries about excessively large and powerful boats on the Lake is just jealous is really ridiculous.

What I'm really jealous of is a nice Grady White Walkaround. Now that's boating!

Paugus Bay Resident 03-23-2004 05:13 PM

Not true. The size and spacing of a wake depends on the hull type, displacement and speed. It has very little to do with overall length of a boat.

Will 03-23-2004 05:42 PM

Ok so anywho, that was cool, lets dis some guy who posts on the board actually following a thread, Im sorry but I read the original message, what was it? Oh yah thats right, What KIND OF BOAT DO YOOOOOOUUUUUU HAVE! There was not a small clue to talk about the offshore debate.

You people absolutely amaze me, But whatever anywho, WHAT KIND OF BOAT DO YOU HAVE AND WHAT DO YOU HAVE ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Ex: Doral
EX: it has stuff on it.

That is a properly answered message.

lRaven 03-23-2004 07:12 PM

The Mississippi is a good place for your boat to be - Winnipesaukee is not the place for over powered boats & drivers. We observe these boats passing at high rates of speed with no regard for the 150 foot rule.

GravyBoat 03-23-2004 08:41 PM

Hey Biggus,

Weren't you the *$*&#^@# that cut me off between Eagle and Governors last year? hahahaha Just kidding.

I'm sure we'll see you hauling out there this summer.

Gravy

GWC... 03-23-2004 10:04 PM

My point???

You're the one that used the word.

Go figure...

tr*41 03-23-2004 11:47 PM

Re: I agree

I agree with Belmont Resident!
It doesn't matter how big the boat is, it's how ignorant the operator is. Most offshore boat drivers are attentive and respectful [as Biggus seems to be], but for those few on the lake who haven’t been respectful to smaller boats, ruined the reputation of all offshore boats on the lake which is a shame.
Back to the original post; I have a 14 ft. boat without many toys on it :(
I have a lot of experience [ :-/ ] with nearly being hit by all different types of boats, but the most common are definately the families. Less often the offshores.
Personally, I worry more about the families and renters who don’t pay attention to boats AT ALL [let alone small boats], and are completely oblivious to what’s going on and what they are doing.
[and sorry to *da little red crownline* who tried to start a friendly innocent topic]

Belmont Resident 03-24-2004 05:54 AM

Year before last I was coming home late from work on Friday. Followed a Winnibagofjunk up the highway (93) doing between 80-85. He got off on to 106 and proceeded to pass not 1 but 3 vehicles in the breakdown lane of 106 while going around a corner. NY plates.
When he turned off a car pulled out in front of me.
From the gas station before the track to the track they threw out no less than 6 beer can's then turned into the track. Mass. plates.

chipmunk lover 03-24-2004 08:20 AM

Why do they call them off shore boats if you put them in the lake?? Just Wondering....Shouldn't they be put off shore?? or is it that you couldn't navagate it off shore so you choose the lake??

JvB 03-24-2004 09:46 AM

There are a lot of sayings out there. Do you follow every saying as if it were fact? That's not very smart.

Either way, I'll continue to assume this, and I know that most people I know assume the same thing. There's a certain type of guy who needs to take a big boat out on a lake. I won't try to make a guess about what he's trying to compensate for, but there's usually something.

JvB 03-24-2004 09:49 AM

Yes, sayings again. What's with you people thinking that just because someone says something catchy, it's true? According to that logic, no weapon kills people.

John 03-24-2004 11:22 AM

New deffinition of off shore boats is those that do not get pulled up onto the beach, thus it has to be off shore.

madrasahs 03-24-2004 12:12 PM

"Fast boats have the power and should be on the look out".

Huh?
You absolutely must "maintain a proper watch".
(And "I'm on the offensive" if I'm "waving a red-and-lime-green paddle" upon your over-sized approach)?

"I have not heard of any accidents."

Huh?
One kayak was run over last season, (one, that we know of) with the person air-lifted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock hospital with broken bones.

"...sometimes some Kayaks are out and cannot be readily seen."

Huh?
Kayaks "are out"? Hmmm, we'll have to do something about that.

Not readily seen? Huh? Hmmm, again. Maybe some "offshore" boat owner can give you some pointers. Oh, Wait!... one posted yesterday that "people kill people". Hmmm. Hmmm.

Fat Jack 03-24-2004 12:49 PM

How about "No-noise June"?

Airpacker 03-24-2004 02:08 PM

Re: And your point is?

Is it any of your business what someone else spends THEIR money on? I suppose you could be accused of wasting money on something at some point in your life by someone somewhere who had no business accusing you of "wasting" it. The ugliness of jealousy is amazing on this forum. If the general attitude of cottagers on this lake is reflected here, who the hell would ever want to visit there and waste money on the local economy? What a big bunch of whining worrywart NIMBY's.

GWC... 03-24-2004 02:23 PM

You sound envious and jealous.

How sad...

Why are you using this thread to vent your displeasure?

Why not start your own thread to vent your displeasure?

The original post of this thread was innocent in meaning and started by a teenager.

Starting a new thread is easy - it only requires a little courage, not a whole lot to ask...

List your boat(s) and any toy(s) and move on or be polite and start your own thread to vent...

GWC... 03-24-2004 02:35 PM

Offshores were designed to handle most offshore water conditions and thus are the best solution to the question of the most safe boat to purchase for an enjoyable time on the Lake.

Venture into the Broads with the wind blowing NW at 35 plus and you'll appreciate their capabilities.

It's not about speed; it's about a safe, comfortable ride and an enjoyable day at the Lake.

You can have an enjoyable day at the Lake in a canoe; but venturing into the Broads with the wind blowing NW at 35 plus is not recommended - unless you have a death wish or like to tread water awaiting rescue...

glh 03-24-2004 03:18 PM

Have fun Biggus,

My boat only goes 80mph but I do have an extra 4 feet on you. Those extra four feet really smooth out the ride running over those pesky kayaks and 18' family cuddies.

I’m wondering why they let those smaller boats on the lake? Seems they should have a minimum size required or something it would be a lot safer, if you’d have a 30’ minimum on the lake there would be a lot less boat on the Lake, a lot less accidents, the boats left would be visible and create a lot less pollution.

I guess those people with smaller boats, kayaks and sail boats have the right to use the lake too or else it would be unfair to target single groups for exclusion. That wouldn’t be in the American spirit to exclude people because of the different matters in which they pursue happiness, would it?

Care Biggus.

Tired of Waiting 03-24-2004 03:43 PM

JvB,

Like you I don't believe in sayings as being true. However......

Just a question.

Can you point to one time a "weapon" killed someone? I mean like without a human using it. Kind of like just did it by itself.

Weapons don't kill people, People using weapons kill people. This might be closer to a true statement.

Oh and I know, A bomb cooks off in a fire, explodes and kills some people. This is not what the saying is talking about.

ToW

Belmont Resident 03-24-2004 07:30 PM

WRONG
We go through this one every spring also.
Take a 15 foot boat push it through the water at a little above headway speed.
I'll bet I make less wake than you do pushing my 25 footer along at 40.
The faster you go the LESS wake you make once you've gotten your boat on plane.

Lofty 03-24-2004 07:55 PM

My wife, kids, and dogs where planning a trip to Lake Winnie this year. We live on the fine West Coast. I've been following this thread and decided to cancel our summer rental in favor of a more savory climate. Seems you folks aren't all too friendly. I too have a sport boat like Biggus, although it will stay on the west coast. I planned on borrowing a friends boat for our stay. It sounds like many of you are not too familiar with boating or boat safety and are most definitely navigational hazards.

Enjoy your lake. Oh yes, before I go. You should consider that ALL taxpayers and registered boat owners have a LEGAL right to access public waterways.

fatlazyless 03-24-2004 08:49 PM

How about selling all the water to the Kalahari Desert and building the empty lake into a 9000 hole minature golf course?

Lake Lover 03-24-2004 09:52 PM

I think you're making a big mistake! Lake Winni is the most beautiful and friendly place I've ever visited. Some people do use this forum to blow off a little steam or sound off on their pet peaves, but did you also read all the friendly and informative messages here? Did you also notice that most of the hostile posts are from the same few people?

It's obvious to me that most people on this forum have a deep, enduring love for Lake Winni (and the people there). There must be a reason.

Cal. 03-24-2004 10:19 PM

Lofty,
Don't let a few big mouths scare you off. I'm an "outsider" too and only get there about 1 week a year. During the week it's absolutely the greatest place on earth. Weekends can get a little crazy , but that seems to be common anywhere on the water. I've met a few people in person from this forum and they were really nice. Just glad I haven't met some of the really "opinionated" ones , although that might be fun without a moderator.

Audiofn 03-24-2004 11:04 PM

My experience

I have a Formula that I hope to bring up to the lake this summer. It has twin Big Blocks and goes aprox 60 miles per hour. Not the fastest by any stretch but still requires my attention. I have also done a LOT of boating with Biggus and I can attest to his concern for first and for most the safty of the people on his boat and also the people around him. My 65 year old parents took a ride on his boat and really enjoyed it (they have been sailer for about 50-55 years).

I am very disapointed to see a few guys that seem to be so soured by what they precieve as a danger on the lake. The reality is there are less accidents involving high performance boats per cap. then any others on the water nation wide.

Some one asked why it is that we go boating in a lake when the boats are offshore. Most have responded that we can not navigate. Well speaking from my experience I have sailed offshore more then most. This includes overnight sails from the Boston area up to Camden and Southwest Harbor, Nantucket and Nantucket to Tortola. I have been single handing my fathers Hickley since I was 16, and have raced on boats from Melgis's to America Cub boats. Why do I go to the lake then? Well it is simple for all the same reasons you all do. I enjoy the lake and most of the people there.

Jon

Sydwayz 03-25-2004 12:43 AM

I have been on and around Lake Winni a few times, courtesy of our friend Biggus.

I too have to agree that I would be unsure to come up to your lake with my 'sport boat'. Many of you seem a little too pompous and uptight. I had someone loosen 10 wheel lugnuts on my 'sport boat's' trailer while at a lake in Virginia a few years back. Apparently, someone there was a little pompous and uptight too. Damn near killed a family of four when one of the wheels came off at 60mph and nearly missed their car, and yes, this was verified by an eyewitness that someone was messing with my trailer. Lug nuts were checked before leaving that morning. Imagine what your own pompous and uptight attitudes taken to one small next level could have done.

JvB 03-25-2004 06:31 AM

I understand the fact that humans generally control the weapons, that that doesn't take away from the danger of the weapon. Nuclear missiles are also dangerous only if they're used, but do you want them distributed around among the population?

Belmont Resident 03-25-2004 07:02 AM

Yes driver responsibility is priority.
But a little common sense would also prevail.
The lake is getting more and more crowded and there is nothing you or I or anyone else is going to do to change that for now. So stop trying to find fault in boaters and take a little initiative. Noticed a couple out there last year with those orange flags. Highly visible from a great distance. Great idea I thought.
I've notice that you are great at pointing fingers.
Why not help promote safe boating instead of rating all of us based on the actions of a few.
Power Squadron, Marine patrol to mention a couple are out to promoting safe boating why not join them. I for one think that this whole boater education thing falls short. It's a great start but needs to be updated regularly. Rules and regulations change from year to year. I belive we should be required to take refresher course every so often to stay on top of things.
You always seem to be quick to post a negative reply. I've been boating on this lake for a number of years. I can't begin to tell you how many boaters I've helped out, towed in to the nearest dock, etc. Yet I drive a semi fast boat. I say semi cause although it pushes 70 there are other much faster. So does this make me a bad offshore boater? Did I neglect to mention it's only 25', about the average size of a lot of you family bow riders not traveling the lake?

Tired of Waiting 03-25-2004 08:28 AM

JvB,

This is not the original subject of this thread so I'll post a quick response and move on. Let’s not hijack this persons thread.

From your reply,

"I understand the fact that humans generally control the weapons,"
Good, we somewhat agree, except for the generally part. They DO control the weapons.

"Nuclear missiles are also dangerous only if they're used, but do you want them distributed around among the population?"

Whole different subject. The missiles are dangerous to the population without being used. They are TARGETS. So no I don't want a target next to a populated area.

ToW

madrasahs 03-25-2004 09:21 AM

You never see "offshores" off-shore -- according to my Long Island Sound buddy.

But putting offshores (and other too-big, too-fast craft) on a lake accustomed to slower/smaller/traditional lake craft is a recent -- and apparently growing -- phenomenon.

I think it has to do with the "need" (or entitlement/demand) to go boating on Winnipesaukee during weekends -- regardless of conditions.

Restricted to weekend-boating, one tends to be dismissive about the weather, so an over-sized boat becomes The Solution to "An Enjoyable Weekend".

But on clear, fair, weekends, over-sized boats come out anyway (because it's a weekend), and artificially create 35-knot+ conditions for the rest of us: Those who have canoed/kayaked/rowed/sailed/small-motor-boated on Winnipesaukee for years -- if not several decades.

"The Solution" for you is "The Problem" (less "enjoyable" boating) for others. Sure, the weather kills boaters, but offshores are not exactly celebrating their own spotless safety record on Winnipesaukee.

Seeking "Noise and Action" on Winnipesaukee's natural treasure worsens offshores' arrogant/too-rich image.

glh 03-25-2004 10:45 AM

Which day do we have no kayaks and sailboat day to be equitable?

Colt 03-25-2004 11:16 AM

Are you still bored?

I liked your idea for this thread.

I bet you didn't expect it to evolve into the whole off shore, too big, too small, safe/unsafe boaters and oh yeah, I almost forgot...it even came close to a gun control debate.
Don't bash me about Gambling for the "I bet" comment. It's just a saying. Actually Per this thread I think I'm not supposed to use sayings or cliche's either.

Before I forget: Regal Sport cruiser w/lot's of fun stuff, Tracker Fishing boat, SeaDoo, Alden Rowing skull, and my favorite a 5' Sevelor Raft with drink holder and custom nylon rope from Aubuchon Hardware. Clip the rope to my swim line and close my eyes and drift off...Hard to beat!

TJ 03-25-2004 11:29 AM

who said anything about a 50' boat? Winni is a big lake......big enough for any size boat one would want to enjoy. Sounds as if you may be a little jealous......

TJ 03-25-2004 11:40 AM

first of all, the lake is big enough for anyone to have a boat they can enjoy (big or small) and second of all, the same result would come about if a collision were to happen in your case with another bowrider, or a 38 cigarette. I don't think we need to discuss what that result would be..

Boater 03-25-2004 11:56 AM

Same result whether I get hit by a 18' bowrider or a 38' Top Gun? You have to be kidding. Wow!

worried 03-25-2004 12:37 PM

When did anyone ever get threatened by a kayak or sailboat? And what noise do they make to annoy anyone else trying to enjoy the serenity of the Lake.

Worried II 03-25-2004 01:20 PM

That would be Saturday, since we don't dare venture out anyway!

Boater 03-25-2004 01:40 PM

Re: My Conclusions

You're right Sammy, the responses of the pro-offshore (for lack of a better term) posters do nothing but reinforce my opinion of offshore operators as arrogant, selfish and testosterone driven bullies.

I've tried to keep an open mind while re-reading this thread and was hoping for a little back and forth debate on the offshore issue. Instead it mostly went like this: A family in a small boat expresses concern about their safety and the response is "you're just jealous". Huh?

No one even mentioned banning or anti-offshore legislation. Some people were just trying to voice their concerns and hopefully get some kind of reasonable response that might allay their fears. Instead they are usually shouted down, insulted and dismissed by what seems to be the same few people. This has been a consistent pattern for the year or so I've been reading this forum.

Incredibly, Lofty actually cancelled his vacation at the lake just because a few worried people on this forum had the nerve to express concern. Apparently, ANY concerns or negative comments about these huge, noisy and overpowered boats is enough to make him take his toys and go home.

So my mind is made up, you offshore owners are an arrogant bunch of bullies and my concerns are justified.

Bayley 03-25-2004 01:57 PM

Need Sterlings

Oh my God, 750hp Hawk motors?

Are you crazy???

Everyone knows the new 1075 SC MerCruiser package with a No.6 drive is the way to go!!! :)

You should easily be over 110 mph with that setup. After all, we have more money than brains, right?

SIKSUKR 03-25-2004 02:07 PM

I don't own a boat bigger than 10 ft and the biggest I ever owned was 16 ft.To use the mentality and metaphors of SOME of the opponents of large boats in reverse,I think the bashing of bigger boats is the equivelent of short man syndrone.Boaters comments and conclusions bear out the twisted thinking of SOME of the group that dislike anything much bigger than theirs. SS

GWC... 03-25-2004 02:07 PM

Recent?

A sistership to the 1963 winner of the Cowes Classic arrived at the Lake in the 70’s. Perhaps you have seen it and just didn't realize its pedigree.

Link showing all winners below picture of the 1992 winner – the weather.

P.S.- Also enjoy time spent with a Sunfish, although the "racing " sailboaters didn't appreciate my presence one time on their race course - the Broads. Isn't a Sunfish a sailboat, too and the Broads big enough for all? Go figure...

http://www.cowesclassic.com/previous-winners.htm
http://www.cowesclassic.com/1992-winner.jpg

silverton2001 03-25-2004 03:05 PM

Back to the original post. 35' Silverton Sport Bridge, 350 mag engines,lots of comfy stuff. Also for sale with a slip available.Lots of fun, but other places need my money now. Enjoy the lake!!!

Boater 03-25-2004 03:16 PM

Wow, thanks for proving my point. Again I talk about safety concerns and again the response I get is the tired old jealousy line. Unbelievable!

Grady 223 03-25-2004 03:51 PM

FL: It is not one of the new models, its a 2001. But the hull design is identical - SeaV2. It was built for a lot more rough water than we get. They had the head as an option, but I did not opt for it. I am on an island in the Lake and have no need for a head. I love the baot, it can handle just about anything the big Lake can dish out. Handles the waves and wakes great. A very smooth riding boat for the size (22'). Buy one, you'll never regret it. I don't know a Grady owner who does not love their boat.

556 ZP 03-25-2004 03:57 PM

BOATER, If you read Lofty's post he also is an offshore power boat owner like BIGGUS. So since you are against these boats you should be happy he is not coming to the lake. Instead you seem disturbed he cancelled his visit. Why, since you have categorized him as an ARROGANT boat owner.

Cal. 03-25-2004 04:14 PM

Boater,
Since your concern is over safety (and justifiedly so). I wonder what type of boat is most commonly involved in unfortunate mishaps or accidents sustaining property damage , personnal injury , or death? I know what it is in my state and believe me it will blow your theory right out of the water.

glh 03-25-2004 04:27 PM

Then good luck with your Wednsdays then.

John 03-25-2004 05:43 PM

SIRSUKR, are you saying that short men run them big off shore boats? Is it true? Perhaps that is why they cannot see over the steering wheel. Maybe that is why they run over the "speed bumps" and think that it is just a bad wave. That can't be true, those boats have quite a list to the drivers side, and short people would not cause that.

John 03-25-2004 05:46 PM

worried, you got to be kidding, Haven't you ever heard the noise of the slapping of the water against the hull, the flapping of them sails, or the splashing of them paddles, Its deafening.

TJ 03-25-2004 05:48 PM

I am sorry to say, but yes I am right. If your boat is in a collision at full speed (which is what we are all assuming talking about these go fast boats)with either another bowrider or a 38 cig offshore, you as well as other passengers will die.

JvB 03-25-2004 07:59 PM

I disagree with your logic on the weapons issue, but you're correct, this is way off topic for this board, so let's agree to disagree.

worried 03-25-2004 09:53 PM

Yah, you're right. What was I thinking?

Lofty 03-25-2004 11:16 PM

Hey thanks for the kind words from soooo few of you. I'm sure you all have a fine lake, that's why we planned the trip. I just can't see visiting, living at and spending money in a lake community that is so narrow minded and quite frankly, ignorant of performance boats and their owners! Performance boat owners (offshores as they have been labeled) are generally extremely experienced boaters. You don't just run out and buy a 30+ foot boat that runs 80+ mph without having some knowledge of boating. They are rather pricey in case you are un-aware! These boats are NOT available at COSTCO like many runabouts, fishing boats, kayaks, and jet ski's. You need to be INTO boating. I'm waiting my energy with this little rant.... I live and boat on the San Francisco Bay and inland Delta. I and my fellow "offshore" boaters run in very narrow delta slouse to the open waters of the Pacific Ocean. It takes skill and knowledge to navigate on open ocean as well as the narrow waterways of the Delta. When we operate we navigate with US Navy vessels, freighters, runabouts, fishing vessels(commercial and private), kayaks, swimmers, you name it, they're out there. It is rare that a "go-fast" runs someone down. It's usually some intoxicated fool destined for his ultimate fate. I understand your "concerns" for safety. Most "offshore" guys (and gals) do too. Nobody wants an accident, injury, or worse yet, a fatality. Too bad about Lake Winnie... So much for "Live Free or Die". Some of you have seemed to forget what that means.

Mink Islander 03-26-2004 08:22 AM

Since you've never been here, how can you possibly understand the issues being debated here (often ad nauseum!) Owning a big fast boat on the West Coast hardly makes you an expert on boating issues in the Lakes Region of NH or the buying habits and experience levels of their operators for that matter. Instead of venting about things you know little about, please just stay home -- we really won't miss you!

556 ZP 03-26-2004 08:26 AM

Re: Got Boats?(Lofty)

LOFTY, while I am not in favor of restrictions I understand the concern. You must understand that Lake Winni is much smaller than running off shore of San Francisco Bay. A run in the Broads, the biggest part of the lake, at speeds of 70-80 mph would be a 10-15 ride & then you run out of lake. As far as "live free or die" its just a quote from colonial times that is not realistic or relevant in this day an age. You should still make the trip to this beautiful area, I don't think you will be disappointed. For the most part we are all friendly, courteous boaters that has our fair share of exceptions like anywhere else.

DoTheMath 03-26-2004 11:22 AM

Mink Islander - you have GOT to be kidding with that attitude! It is comments like that that give those of us good folks on the lake a bad name! I have been on this lake for 35 years, (since I was 10 mo. old.) and I have seen LOTS of changes! Changes in people, places and boats, some for the better and some for the less-than-better. But I have to agree with my fellow "sport boat / Cigarette boat" owners on this board. The overwhelming MAJORITY of the owners of these boats know what they are doing and are VERY respectful, don't lump the few clowns that don't in with the rest of us. It takes lots of seat time to develop the skill and knowledge of how to operate a large boat properly, anyone can jump in and drive away in a 20' bow-rider, just look at all the renters on the weekends up on the lake! Lofty's point is a general point about the operation of these boats, and I will put my money on the "performance" boater ALL DAY LONG when it comes to day-to-day boating skills, ALL DAY LONG!! Crusing around in a six inch ripple in a 20' boat can be done by a child of 10. Now, try getting out in 3, 4 or even 5 foot confused water and run, then see how you do. Try docking a 38' boat at the town docks in Wolfeboro some Saturday, and see how you do... Boating is for EVERYONE, and just because one guy (or gal, and there are plenty of those too...) chooses to buy a "big - fast" boat, and someone else chooses to buy a nice little Sea Ray doesn't make either of them right or wrong, just different people with different interests. Don't perpetuate the "stuffy, stuck-up, if they are not with me they are against me" wrap... it is not making you, or the rest of your fellow lakers look very good! Respect the water, respect the land and respect your fellow boater, regardless of the boat they drive and they will respect you back!