Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   An interesting observation (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21671)

Acrossamerica 02-10-2017 05:47 PM

An interesting observation

I wonder how many of you regulars have noticed just how quiet the postings are here on the Restaurant section during the eight months of the off season? Rest assured for the most part it is also quiet in those few places that try to stay open all year. The lakes region is not for the faint of heart in the food business. There are just not enough "special occasion" diners around to make it work.

FlyingScot 02-10-2017 06:28 PM

Absolutely!

So tough to be in the restaurant in any area, and the NH winters are brutal. We really ned to support the local spots in whatever way we can.

Pleased to report that we're off to the Woodshed in an hour!

Lakegeezer 02-10-2017 08:28 PM

Center Harbor Skatefest

You can give your support to locals businesses next Saturday, February 18. The businesses and community of Center Harbor are holding the third SkateFest. Several local restaurants and other groups, will be offering complimentary food and hot drinks at Center Harbor's Skatefest. It's at the Center Harbor beach and heated pavilion. Public skating on Winnipesaukee and the town rink. Built a snow sculpture on the lake or in the park. At 2PM, several local skate clubs will be exhibiting their routines, in costume.

Details at www.chcda.com/index.php/skatefest/

Sponsored by the Center Harbor Community Development Association.

Woody38 02-10-2017 08:49 PM

Restaurant business

Seems everyone wants town a restaurant. I remember on the show "Restaurant Impossible" the main reason for going into the business was "I love to cook." At the same time knowing little if anything about running a restaurant.
To be sure I love to cook and I surely wouldn't want to own a restaurant for many reasons.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

GBGX2 02-11-2017 07:42 AM

Shibley's At the Pier in Alton Bay

They have reopened for the season on Friday, Saturday and Sundays until April. We had lunch there yesterday and it was great! It is fun to watch them plowing the ice runway from the warmth of the restaurant and of course to see the planes land and takeoff as well.

phoenix 02-11-2017 08:02 AM

I dont know what percent of the forum followers are seasonal like myself but in off-season I follow but since I am not at the lake don't usually post on restaurants. That maybe one reason

baygo 02-11-2017 10:36 AM

Yes the wintertime population is a little thinner but I don't think that's the reason the activity has dropped off. I think restaurants are just doing such a better job that those who like to complain have run out of topics.

I'm at the helm of a restaurant and I am experiencing another wonderful winter season. This year I cut back to five days a week ( more time for the wife and I ) and regularly spend the other two days dining out at other local restaurants. The very few in my rotation are still very busy on Monday and Tuesday nights, and they're not doing anything special to give away the house.

phoenix 02-11-2017 07:47 PM

well I will be back in late April and my first Friday night will be haddock at the village kitchen

Biggd 02-12-2017 06:05 PM

I was at Lago's Friday Night and they said at last weeks Pond Tournament they were slammed. They had a bar and restaurant set up right on the ice. They weren't that busy this weekend. The Ice fisherman are a different crowd. My wife and I like the food and the atmosphere there. We usually sit at the bar because it's always a long wait for a table.