Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreary Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10727)

Sal 08-25-2010 11:01 AM

Dreary Weather

Weather such as we are having makes me crazy/bored/anxious/nuts. Does the same to our dog.(or maybe he's just reflecting what he sees).
Are any of you similarly affected (afflicted?) and, if so, what do you do about it, other than pulling the covers over your head and try to continue sleeping?

Jeanzb1 08-25-2010 11:30 AM

Rain

We hear ya', Sal, and feel the same as you do. Lots of projects indoors that we could be doing, but too bored and stir-crazy to do anything but look out the windows. We saw the Mount cruise by with hardly anyone even inside.
Feel sorry for those who have waited all year to take their week's vacation and now they're getting rained out.

Argie's Wife 08-25-2010 12:38 PM

This was supposed to be my vacation week and we were going to go camping. I had to cancel because I have too many town and school meetings to attend - no point in driving back and forth between camping and home. So, I almost feel good about canceling plans. Almost.

VitaBene 08-25-2010 01:50 PM

No one want to hear it but we really needed rain and the rest of the week looks fantastic!

SIKSUKR 08-25-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 137978)
Feel sorry for those who have waited all year to take their week's vacation and now they're getting rained out.

Agreed for the Winni people.There is a certain person on the Vineyard this week that has had way more than a few weeks vaca that I don't feel sorry for.:laugh:

sky_nh 08-25-2010 03:56 PM

Do you think we've gotten spoiled this summer??? The weather has been so fantastic for the outdoors, it's something of a shock to have to close windows to keep from getting flooded.

I feel badly for anyone who has just this week to enjoy the Lake. But for those of us here year-round (or almost) our gardens and lawns needed the rain, not to mention the wooded areas so that fire hazards could be reduced.

-- Sky :)

This'nThat 08-25-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 138013)
There is a certain person on the Vineyard this week that has had way more than a few weeks vaca that I don't feel sorry for.:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing, and saying to myself -- let it rain! HARD.

Ropetow 08-25-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 137968)
Weather such as we are having makes me crazy/bored/anxious/nuts....Are any of you similarly affected (afflicted?) and, if so, what do you do about it, other than pulling the covers over your head and try to continue sleeping?

I've tried drinking heavily, but it is still raining. :emb:

Rose 08-25-2010 06:34 PM

8-month old puppy

I feel your pain, Sal. I've been trying to figure out ways to entertain the 8-month old, high-energy puppy for the past 4 days. Laser lights work pretty well...for a while.

mishelmeis 08-25-2010 08:56 PM

We're new this year to Rattlesnake Island. The lower parking lot for RSI was completely empty yesterday except for our cars! The lake sure is different in the rain. The kids and I are starting to get a little stir crazy. Glad it's s'pose to be nice tomorrow!

Sal 08-25-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 138044)
I feel your pain, Sal. I've been trying to figure out ways to entertain the 8-month old, high-energy puppy for the past 4 days. Laser lights work pretty well...for a while.

Be careful about having puppies chase the laser "dot" on the floor. Our dog, age 3, when a puppy, really enjoyed trying to catch the "dot". Now, he goes nuts whenever he sees a moving reflection, be it on the ceiling, walls or floor. I think I made him neurotic ... and his real owner (my wife) is sure of it.

KonaChick 08-26-2010 09:20 AM

The rainy weather this week was not only well needed but also a small price to pay for the beautiful weekend coming up!!

LadyJane 08-26-2010 09:50 AM

Are any of you similarly affected (afflicted?) and, if so, what do you do about it, other than pulling the covers over your head and try to continue sleeping?[/QUOTE]

I am affected by rain and lack of sun, no doubt about it.
So yesteray I cleaned my refrigerator out, lol, which was not fun, but now I have a nice clean fridge and the sun is out !!!
On rainy days I still take walks as long as it isn't raining too hard, and little projects around the house keep my mind occupied. And there's always shopping, cooking something yummy, word games. However, I watch less and less t.v.....there is not much watching imho.

Newbiesaukee 08-26-2010 11:10 AM

I go online and check out the Forum. Drama,life-lessons,photography,history,food......what more do you need?

Lucky1 08-26-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishelmeis (Post 138066)
We're new this year to Rattlesnake Island. The lower parking lot for RSI was completely empty yesterday except for our cars! The lake sure is different in the rain. The kids and I are starting to get a little stir crazy. Glad it's s'pose to be nice tomorrow!

Welcome to the lake! How old are the kids? We always used board games and cards. CatchPhrase is a great game but not for yourgsters. Would think high school age and adults.

How about those projects that need attention?

Sunny now so you are back in business! Wonderful that you are able to own a home while the kids are small. Hope it turns out to be all that you expected it to be.

mishelmeis 08-30-2010 10:43 PM

two - 9 and 4.

we have so many projects that we are seriously contemplating NOT going home for the first week of school! i'm struggling w/ the three-day week, esp. since my older child has the same teacher, class, and kids as last year (looping, i think it what it's called).

thanks for the welcome. we LOVE it here!!!! going to love it even more once our fixer-upper is a little more, um, fixed!

Lucky1 08-31-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishelmeis (Post 138795)
two - 9 and 4.

we have so many projects that we are seriously contemplating NOT going home for the first week of school! i'm struggling w/ the three-day week, esp. since my older child has the same teacher, class, and kids as last year (looping, i think it what it's called).

thanks for the welcome. we LOVE it here!!!! going to love it even more once our fixer-upper is a little more, um, fixed!

Two of the rules for my kids went like this.... 1. "If school is in session, you are in school." 2. "If I hear from a teacher, you will hear from me." The two oldest went to Harvard and one of those to Stanford Business etc. No one got pregnant or did drugs etc.

Children look to their parents to know the difference between right and wrong. You would also be amazed to see how much more you appreciate your parents as you get older.

I am a bit biased in this case of skipping the first week of school as I taught 4th grade for three years after college. I think I would have found it hard to understand why a student was off working on his summer camp instead of being in school. Why start the year off on the wrong foot with the teacher, who will most likely grumble to the other teachers and perhaps the principal?

A lot happens in the first week of school.

I am glad you are loving you new home. When you are older you will remember these days fondly. You are lucky to have been able to purchase a home when the kids are small as I said before. Your family will have tons of fun as well as tons of work. A nine year old does quite well with a paint brush etc. Let them have a part in what you are doing and take pictures. It will be such fun to look back on this time later on.

Many parents walk their young children past my home on the way to the nearby school and see me out gardening. They want to know how the school is etc. I say the two things to want from a child are, !. Stay Alive and 2. "Try to be happy." Rarely is there a yearbook without a dedication to a lost classmate. Having a camp at the lake will bring much happiness into the lives of you and your family. Good luck and let me know how things go.