Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Island Labor (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25716)

Formula260SS 05-04-2020 03:14 PM

Island Labor

Hi Folks,

Looking for thoughts and ideas on labor sourcing to rebuild a block retaining wall on Rattlesnake. The wall is falling over due to my failure to build it properly 10 yrs ago.

I have to haul out a crap load of bagged stone (I have a pontoon) pull the old wall down, dig it back and well you know, build it correctly. I have one company quoting but they are booked out until fall and thought I'd give a shot at putting a crew together myself and leading the charge to get it done sometime before the 4th of July. Any ideas are appreciated, it's not a huge job maybe 70 blocks but need some strong backs for carrying the stone and digging. 4-6 guys could probably do it two days with a nice lunch break.

Thanks

fatlazyless 05-04-2020 03:42 PM

For $3.45/bag you can get a 60-lb bag of Quikrete hi-strength concrete mix at Lowe's. Purchased by the pallet the price goes lower by 30%

After placing the unbroken heavy paper sack of concrete under the water, it takes just a day for it to set up with the water seeping through the paper bag. Using it like this is called rip-rap, and you can construct an underwater retainer wall with an interwoven design of 60-lb bags which all "melt" together due to the weight and design to build a sturdy underwater wall.

For $3.45 you can give one bag a test, trial run.

People in Maine have been using this for building small dams and underwater retainer walls for many years. It's the Maine way where they want to get it done without calling in some expensive construction outfit.

Garcia 05-04-2020 03:50 PM

Are you looking for unskilled helpers and if so, what's your timeframe? I know some young and strong teenagers who can handle a shovel and haul heavy loads, but they have zero experience building walls.

Formula260SS 05-04-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 334010)
Are you looking for unskilled helpers and if so, what's your timeframe? I know some young and strong teenagers who can handle a shovel and haul heavy loads, but they have zero experience building walls.

I've done the teenager route before and would do it again but, was thinking of trying to find some experience maybe mid 20's not necessarily with building walls but knows how to get work done. I'd say my timeframe is mid June.

VitaBene 05-05-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 334007)
For $3.45/bag you can get a 60-lb bag of Quikrete hi-strength concrete mix at Lowe's. Purchased by the pallet the price goes lower by 30%

After placing the unbroken heavy paper sack of concrete under the water, it takes just a day for it to set up with the water seeping through the paper bag. Using it like this is called rip-rap, and you can construct an underwater retainer wall with an interwoven design of 60-lb bags which all "melt" together due to the weight and design to build a sturdy underwater wall.

People in Maine have been using this for building small dams and underwater retainer walls for many years. It's the Maine way where they want to get it done without calling in some expensive construction outfit.

That is pretty cool! https://www.core77.com/posts/80454/A...et-With-a-Hose

MAXUM 05-05-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

I'm sure NH DES would love that.

Hillcountry 05-05-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 334076)

Cool but I think it looks like crap. Okay for a camp or an emergency wall but nah...not too cheap either. That paper will biodegrade and be all over the landscape. My opinion only...if you love it, go for it!

Biggd 05-05-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

The OP made no mention of this being a retaining wall in the water? :confused:

VitaBene 05-05-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 334082)
Cool but I think it looks like crap. Okay for a camp or an emergency wall but nah...not too cheap either. That paper will biodegrade and be all over the landscape. My opinion only...if you love it, go for it!

I say pretty cool but for the same reasons you note. You could build a relatively tight flood barrier that may outperform sand bags.

I have close to a mile of stone walls, I love the real thing!

lakeadoodle 05-28-2020 08:25 PM

Is this legal?

Quote:

Is this legal in NH?

TheTimeTraveler 05-28-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeadoodle (Post 335645)
Is this legal in NH?

Lakedoodle; Welcome to the Forum.

It's legal only if you have a permit. If you don't have a permit then it likely is illegal.