Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine Hours (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26434)

Donzi Minx 10-11-2020 02:56 PM

Engine Hours

Did all my PM work to put Dawn in order for a long winters nap at Dave's.
Just 13 hours this summer. I like to complain.....but I am healthy!
Go Easy, stay safe, and be well.

Juiced06GTO 10-11-2020 03:04 PM

We managed about 60, which isn't bad considering I didn't have the motor buttoned up until the 3rd week of July! Have a good off season! Only only 6-7 months til ice out!

SAMIAM 10-12-2020 07:17 AM

No grandkid visits due to COVID so only about 15 hours on the jet skis : (

8gv 10-12-2020 08:24 AM

45 on the lake boat

38 and still counting on my ocean fishing trailer boat

Umpteen on my 14' aluminum small waters boat

Umpteen on the Scanoe, all in the CT river

Enough in my Kayak to call it "exercise"

Only 3 on the FL boat due to the Funky Covid-eena

I love retirement!

thinkxingu 10-12-2020 09:13 AM

No idea on the boat, 65 on the ski.
I've gotta figure out a formula for actual use, though, as we spent whole days out there but only a few hours actually in motion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

MotorHead 10-12-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 344996)
No idea on the boat, 65 on the ski.
I've gotta figure out a formula for actual use, though, as we spent whole days out there but only a few hours actually in motion.

How do you put on 65/hr on a Jet Ski, where do you go?
I personally get bored after an hour or two.
Lake is not calm enough to go far.

After a while I feel like Chevy Chase looking at the Grand Canyon. (Great Movie)

upthesaukee 10-12-2020 11:35 AM

60 days or so

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 345009)

After a while I feel like Chevy Chase looking at the Grand Canyon. (Great Movie)

I'm guessing that being on the lake all summer, in the northern section of the lake, it wouldn't be a stretch to be out for 60 days or so for an hour a day. We put 30-40 hrs on or boat and a lot of that was running out Alton Bay to Robert's Cove to anchor, then a run over near or around Rattlesnake on the way home. Doesn't matter if you're on a jetski or in a bowrider, time on the lake is, well, time on the lake, and I for one have never been bored on the lake; anchored, doing a putt putt, lr crushing on plane.

JMHO

Dave

thinkxingu 10-12-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 345009)

I don't know if the new machine is THAT advanced in terms of stability, as I've only ever driven one other, but there were very few days on the lake that I wouldn't go everywhere with it.

To get to 65 hours meant a fair amount of whole-day tours. In fact, I've only been out for an hour or two once or twice. The other times are with friends I met here or on the I Boat Facebook site.

An example day: in the water at 7 and over to Wolfeboro for a treat/light breakfast (1 hour). From Wolfeboro to Paugus to grab a friend (1 hour). From Paugus to Spindle Point to Sally's Gut to Bear to Blueberry Island and chill for a bit (1 hour). From Blueberry to Alton Bay for lunch at Pop's (1 hour). Alton Bay to West Alton Sandbar and Chill (2 hours). West Alton to Hanson Cove (1 hour).

Phantom 10-12-2020 02:11 PM

Worst season ever for us - only 55 hours on the boat.

In great part (as someone mentioned above) very little grandgirls visits this summer along with the others normal weekend guests.

COVID made it’s mark this season.

But for the good news - i put on 117 hours “virtually”. :D:D:D

GaryWT 10-12-2020 08:58 PM

We bought in August and put over 25 hours I believe. Not sure the exact amount as I don’t know where to find that but I know how many times we went out for 4 hours or more.

Blue Thunder 10-13-2020 06:21 AM

For a bunch of different reasons, retirement, unexpected house repairs, limited company due to Covid, and a general malaise to stay off the water on weekends due to SO MANY more boats out there, I put less than 10 hours on my boat this year. I put fuel in it once at the end of the season......pathetic.

BT

thinkxingu 10-13-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 345063)
For a bunch of different reasons, retirement, unexpected house repairs, limited company due to Covid, and a general malaise to stay off the water on weekends due to SO MANY more boats out there, I put less than 10 hours on my boat this year. I put fuel in it once at the end of the season......pathetic.

BT

That's too bad—it really was a beautiful weather season. Maybe spend some more time in the North on weekends—though there were definitely more boats, it's still calm compared to the South. I'm always blown away by how different the two sides are.

Hope you're well, friend!

BoatHouse 10-15-2020 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What a great summer for boating. 101 hours starting May 7th and ending today 10/15.Attachment 16519

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bigdog 10-15-2020 07:33 PM

I think the number of hours used is directly related to where you live.

Are you blessed to have waterfront property, and have your boat parked at the dock out front, or is your boat on a trailer, and you have to tow it, every time you want to take a ride with the family.

There's a big difference !

Garcia 10-15-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 345172)
I think the number of hours used is directly related to where you live.

Are you blessed to have waterfront property, and have your boat parked at the dock out front, or is your boat on a trailer, and you have to tow it, every time you want to take a ride with the family.

There's a big difference !

True. I ended up with about 60 hours this summer. the vast majority of those were back and forth between the island and the mainland.

Dave R 10-17-2020 08:16 AM

We did 160 hours, but none of it was on the lake. Does it count?

Juiced06GTO 10-17-2020 08:35 PM

Now granted waterfront does contribute to the ease of racking up hours, but if you really like to be on the water you can find a way to put the hours in. Like I said, we did about 60 from the third week of July to labor Day weekend. We dont have water front on Winni and i trailered my boat up to my family's place on Upper Suncook each time we were there.

tg38 11-14-2020 07:04 PM

guessing

pretty close to 400 hrs dealer forgot to clear maintenance from screen. most i have ever used .

BroadHopper 11-15-2020 07:44 AM

Keep a record

30 this year, 46 last year. When the kids were growing up I can average about 60 hours.
This year, I am experiencing oil loss. About a quart, every fill-up. Had a compression check and only 1 cylinder had decent compression. 1260 hours on the clock and it's going to the machine shop.
The '88 454 is going for a complete rebuild including a more modern cam profile and Edelbrock carb. Can't wait for spring!

Dave R 11-15-2020 04:40 PM

I have decided to do major work to both my engines (Caterpillar 3208TAs) this Winter. They are almost 29 years old and have almost 2000 hours. I'll be replacing head gaskets, rebuilding the injection pumps, having all the injectors tested (and rebuilt if needed) replacing all the hoses and belts, and replacing all the gaskets and seals I can get to without pulling the engines out. Will also clean and re-seal the oil coolers, heat exchangers, and after coolers, repaint everything I can, and will be adding Walker Airseps (PCV systems that collect and condense oil vapor and re-route oil back to the crankcase instead of into the engine air inlet where it can clog the after coolers). I got the heads off engine 1 yesterday and it's in great shape. My goal is to have the engines operating trouble-free for the next decade or longer.

Donzi Minx 11-16-2020 02:06 PM

Engine Hours

Wow you two guys are a lot more mechanically talented than I.
The best I could hope for is that the 350 without the pan showed 4-bolt mains.
It was not the original Donzi 350, but with 300 hours after replacement.she should sing (with religious Mobil 1 changes) for another 600 hours before the valve seals start to get tired. Looking forward to retirement and a lot more time on Winnipesaukee next spring.

Dave R 11-22-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzi Minx (Post 346627)
Wow you two guys are a lot more mechanically talented than I.
The best I could hope for is that the 350 without the pan showed 4-bolt mains.
It was not the original Donzi 350, but with 300 hours after replacement.she should sing (with religious Mobil 1 changes) for another 600 hours before the valve seals start to get tired. Looking forward to retirement and a lot more time on Winnipesaukee next spring.

If the new 350 does not have catalyst exhaust, run Rotella T6 or Delvac 1 instead of Mobil 1 (assuming you want to stay with synthetic). Those oils contain a lot more zinc and phosphorous which are REALLY good for engine longevity. Mobil 1 has to be compatible with modern catalyst engines and cannot contain the same additive packages that diesel oils can contain.