Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Another Bobcat Sighting (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18667)

DRH 01-15-2015 08:26 PM

Another Bobcat Sighting

I was able to grab a couple snapshots of a bobcat that walked along our shoreline today on the ice and came into our yard. He/she had a beautiful face and looked quite healthy.

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Bobcat_3_800.jpg

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Bobcat_1_800.jpg

pjard 01-15-2015 08:29 PM

Wow! Those are some great shots...need to keep an eye on my little dogs when they are outside.

upthesaukee 01-15-2015 11:01 PM

I hit one near your house late last summer

DRH, late last summer, my wife and I were heading down to cover our boat as a rainstorm was knocking on the door. As we were coming down rte 11 near your road, a bobcat ran across from left to right. I hit the brakes and heard a thud. When I looked back, I didn't see him / her.

On the way back, we stopped and I walked the side of the road and didn't see it over the guardrail, so I don't know if I killed it or not. I think that I did not, and that perhaps it was a glancing blow.

One of my neighbors sees one regularly when he is out on his deer stand. He says he wouldn't eat it, so he won't shoot it. Doesn't seem to bother any of the outdoor pets in the neighborhood, and he has seen it for a couple of years now.

Great pictures. Makes you want to scratch it behind the ears and say nice kitty, nice kitty.

dpg 01-16-2015 07:23 AM

Real beauty and does make you want to pet it..haha

8gv 01-16-2015 08:25 AM

Better wear some body armor.:D

rgilfert 01-16-2015 09:18 AM

Outstanding photos, DRH!! Thanx!

Merrymeeting 01-16-2015 09:47 AM

I guess there won't be much debate in this thread as to whether you really saw a bobcat or not! Great shots!

Accipiter290 01-16-2015 02:58 PM

Truly jealous. Bobcats have always been one of my favorite animals. Those pictures are amazing.

Airedale1 01-16-2015 06:21 PM

Great captures! I can't tell if it's male or female but iam sure it's very young. Probably less than 2 years old.

Slickcraft 01-16-2015 07:30 PM

Great photos, always a precious moment to have a viewing like that. Maybe once in a lifetime.

A few weeks ago J---- can across one sitting on the warm blacktop next to the cemetery on 11A. It was a small bobcat, at 1st J thought it to be a large house cat. She slowed the car and the cat slowly got up and walked into the woods. No doubt about the bobbed tail and the ears.

Probably only 1/2 mile from your place "as the cat walks", maybe the same one.

SteveA 01-17-2015 05:38 AM

Awesome!

What a great set of pictures! We had one along the Gunstock River just outside of Gilford Village. Of course, I didn't have my camera.

Thanks for sharing!

loonguy 01-18-2015 05:28 PM

We had a large bobcat in our backyard across from the Loon Center last winter, and that was the end of the otters and other wildlife we used to see in our backyard in the winter. This year no bobcats, no otters, and no other wildlife. Maybe next year.

rsmlp 01-19-2015 07:41 AM

actually does bring up an interesting point. we're in windermere on long island and very isolated. we let our 11 lb terrier out without a leash since there's pretty much nobody here. she runs around for five minutes or so and does her business. could be a little risky?

loonguy 01-19-2015 12:15 PM

Probably risky, but a terrier might be feisty enough to scare off a bobcat.

bt99 01-19-2015 02:55 PM

There definitely are coyotes on Long Island that could make off with a terrier, haven't seen any bobcat sign.

webmaster 01-23-2015 10:00 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We have a bobcat! Put up a trail cam last weekend and this is what we saw on it today!
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/trailcam?src=hash">#trailcam</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/siting?src=hash">#siting</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wildlife?src=hash">#wildlife</a> <a href="http://t.co/2B0MdqFHOM">pic.twitter.com/2B0MdqFHOM</a></p>&mdash; Prescott Farm (@PrescottFarm) <a href="https://twitter.com/PrescottFarm/status/558335849474322432">January 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VitaBene 02-05-2015 03:32 PM

I saw a healthy looking one in Suissevale yesterday:)

Misha888 02-05-2015 07:46 PM

Take action . . .

if you deem appropriate. I did. No to trapping. Cruel and really unnecessary, in my opinion.

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/...28/1009/NEWS12

Cal 02-07-2015 11:50 AM

Beautiful cats!

wynndog 02-07-2015 12:43 PM

Misha888

Not only that;
Close Gitmo and stop abortions, and let the JV team play ball!

whalebackpoint'r 03-24-2015 12:36 PM

Spotted one crossing 109 near Suissevale late evening on March 14, 2015. Looked pretty healthy.

Slickcraft 03-24-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r (Post 242067)
Spotted one crossing 109 near Suissevale late evening on March 14, 2015. Looked pretty healthy.

Good reason to look healthy. Long ago they had to catch rabbits for dinner, the rabbits thinned out and so did the bobcats. And then along came the reintroduction of wild turkeys. And the cats adapted. Could you pass the gravy please?

loonguy 11-25-2015 02:34 PM

Yay, the otters are back!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by loonguy (Post 238964)
We had a large bobcat in our backyard across from the Loon Center last winter, and that was the end of the otters and other wildlife we used to see in our backyard in the winter. This year no bobcats, no otters, and no other wildlife. Maybe next year.

No bobcat sightings this Fall, and we are happy to report a pair of otters (and many squirrels and chipmunks) have come back and are living in our backyard!!

Slickcraft 02-24-2016 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have turkeys under hanging bird-feeders every day eating the dropped seed. Yesterday my wife heard the alarm calls and flapping of wings. When she looked out a good size bobcat was under the feeders sans dinner. I was a few seconds late getting there with my phone camera, just a going away shot. I suspect that he will be back.

Greene's Basin Girl 02-24-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 257440)
We have turkeys under hanging bird-feeders every day eating the dropped seed. Yesterday my wife heard the alarm calls and flapping of wings. When she looked out a good size bobcat was under the feeders sans dinner. I was a few seconds late getting there with my phone camera, just a going away shot. I suspect that he will be back.

If Fish and Game has their way that bobcat may soon be trapped and gone forever.

beantownbaby 02-24-2016 11:38 PM

May I ask what area this cat was spotted in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8gv 02-24-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 257457)
If Fish and Game has their way that bobcat may soon be trapped and gone forever.

Why would that be?

upthesaukee 02-25-2016 09:01 AM

Proposed F&G new regulation on Trapping Bobcats

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 257487)
Why would that be?

As you may or may not know, the F&G department has approved by a 5-4 vote, in spite of overwhelming negative comments asking not to approve a trapping season, to have a lottery draw for 50 permits to trap bobcats each year.

There are an estimated 1200 bobcats in the state, if I remember the numbers. Unlike a hunting season for moose or deer, where the female of the species is readily evident by antlers, trapping will indiscriminately trap either sex. The recovery of the bobcat from endangered to nearly extinct in NH, while substantial, is by no means a total success. Not being able to exclude the trapping of the female of the species is not possible.

These creatures, while conceivably could attack our pets, seem to prefer to chase down their natural prey, such as small rodents and birds / fowl. I can't remember ever hearing about a bobcat attacking a family pet.

Is it probable that the trapping will turn the recovery of the species around and put it in a decline? Probably not. Will it slow down the recovery? Perhaps. Perhaps it will depend on how many female cats are killed each year.

I just think that there is not the need for a trapping season of this species. A large number of people have spoken against this trapping season, but the Department has chosen to listen to a small group of trappers in favor of the season. Therein lies the shame of it all, IMHO.

8gv 02-25-2016 09:11 AM

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this.

Do the traps kill the bobcats right away or do they linger for a while?

Could live traps allow for the taking of the males and release of the females?

Could people's pets find their way into one of the traps?

DRH 02-25-2016 11:05 AM

Both Trapping and Hunting

According to an article in today's Union Leader, Fish & Game's proposal would allow both trapping and hunting of bobcats. The article states, "The hunting season would be similar to New Hampshire's fisher season, with December trapping and January hunting."

The proposal now goes before the NH House & Senate's "Joint Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules" for review.

Winnisquamer 02-25-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 257500)
As you may or may not know, the F&G department has approved by a 5-4 vote, in spite of overwhelming negative comments asking not to approve a trapping season, to have a lottery draw for 50 permits to trap bobcats each year.

There are an estimated 1200 bobcats in the state, if I remember the numbers. Unlike a hunting season for moose or deer, where the female of the species is readily evident by antlers, trapping will indiscriminately trap either sex. The recovery of the bobcat from endangered to nearly extinct in NH, while substantial, is by no means a total success. Not being able to exclude the trapping of the female of the species is not possible.

These creatures, while conceivably could attack our pets, seem to prefer to chase down their natural prey, such as small rodents and birds / fowl. I can't remember ever hearing about a bobcat attacking a family pet.

Is it probable that the trapping will turn the recovery of the species around and put it in a decline? Probably not. Will it slow down the recovery? Perhaps. Perhaps it will depend on how many female cats are killed each year.

I just think that there is not the need for a trapping season of this species. A large number of people have spoken against this trapping season, but the Department has chosen to listen to a small group of trappers in favor of the season. Therein lies the shame of it all, IMHO.

I agree. As an avid hunter/fisherman I just personally would not hunt these animals in this state.. If we lived in a place where they were plentiful and there was a necessity then ok. But not here, trapping to me is also cruel.

Someone at work said that F&G were asking for certain parts of the animal as well if hunted, does anyone know if that's true?

just wondering why hunt it if you can't keep it.

dam1960 02-25-2016 01:22 PM

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/wild...osal.html#faqs

Winnisquamer 02-25-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dam1960 (Post 257517)

Quote:

Once all bobcat registration requirements are completed, a bobcat registration seal as provided in RSA 210:8 shall be affixed by a conservation officer to the bobcat skin for transportation. The fish and game department shall retain the bobcat carcass, including the skull with teeth attached, and with all internal organs intact. A permittee may retain edible portions of the bobcat other than the internal organs

So if I read this right, basically you could eat what ever's edible, has anyone ever tried bobcat? But you couldn't have it mounted with the skull and teeth like most do with bears.

Not a fan personally.

8gv 02-25-2016 02:32 PM

tastes like eggroll...

Are coyotes hunted now? They seem to be very abundant.

Winnisquamer 02-25-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 257523)
tastes like eggroll...

Are coyotes hunted now? They seem to be very abundant.

There is no closed season and no bag limit for Coyote. Hunting Coyote at night is Jan 1st- March 31st statewide. I did see a ton (10-12) of Coyotes up in Pittsburg Grouse hunting this October.

Rusty 02-25-2016 03:35 PM

How do you set a trap for only Bob Cat's. Do they have something that says "Here Bob Cat, Here Bob Cat"? Or maybe a sign that says: FOR BOB CATS ONLY

Winnisquamer 02-25-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 257526)
How do you set a trap for only Bob Cat's. Do they have something that says "Here Bob Cat, Here Bob Cat"? Or maybe a sign that says: FOR BOB CATS ONLY

Maybe different size traps? But I have no idea.

Anyone that drives down lower bay or around Winnisquam I spotted a pretty big bald eagle out on the ice looking for a meal. He's been there for an hour or so, just outta reach of my camera unfortunately. Good to see them out since I haven't seen them since summer.

Greene's Basin Girl 02-26-2016 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 257513)
I agree. As an avid hunter/fisherman I just personally would not hunt these animals in this state.. If we lived in a place where they were plentiful and there was a necessity then ok. But not here, trapping to me is also cruel.

Someone at work said that F&G were asking for certain parts of the animal as well if hunted, does anyone know if that's true?

just wondering why hunt it if you can't keep it.

The next step is for the NH state legislature to vote for trapping or not.

trfour 02-26-2016 11:35 AM

Also...

2 Attachment(s)
There are Canadian Linx a little further Noth of the Lake...

Pineedles 02-26-2016 11:54 AM

While I am a hunter I don't participate in trapping, just a choice of mine. Many people are under the false assumption that the bobcat pelt is valuable. While extremely rare variations can be, believe me these cats are 1 in a thousand. The fur market is extremely depressed and many trappers are getting zero dollars at the auctions. It really doesn't pay to trap bobcats. JMO.

MAXUM 02-28-2016 01:15 PM

While I am an avid hunter and would never go after bobcats, I don't see any problem with having a hunt for them. Only 50 permits are going to be issued and of those only a fraction will be filled. Furthermore bobcats are hunted in ME, VT and MA so all this outrage is really a bit over the top considering these are hunted in all neighboring states.

If you think these guys are just fluffy cute cats, think again they can and do take game as large as deer with relative ease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAlkpougluU

dpg 03-01-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 257659)
While I am an avid hunter and would never go after bobcats, I don't see any problem with having a hunt for them. Only 50 permits are going to be issued and of those only a fraction will be filled. Furthermore bobcats are hunted in ME, VT and MA so all this outrage is really a bit over the top considering these are hunted in all neighboring states.

If you think these guys are just fluffy cute cats, think again they can and do take game as large as deer with relative ease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAlkpougluU

Sad to watch but that's mother nature I guess! So what did the guy shoot at the Bobcat or the Deer??? :confused:

noreast 03-04-2016 06:14 PM

How do you look at that beautiful creature and want to trap and torture it so you can stick it in your living room, or make a hat out of it? I'm an old hunter, not much anymore. If you won't eat it, don't kill it.