Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What a Surprise Friday Afternoon (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18677)

Phantom 01-19-2015 03:19 PM

What a Surprise Friday Afternoon

2 Attachment(s)
So -- here I was, driving up to the condo on Friday afternoon --

Cruising along the last stretch of the Rte 3 By-Pass Road & the oncoming cars start flashing their lights at me !

Being a courteous driver, I wave and thank them for (what I believed) the alert to the upcoming radar trap at the bottom of the hill by the airport and immediately start decelerating from my (let's just leave it as BRISK) speed. Come around the last turn before the steep downhill section and see these two rascals on the side of the road !!

Boy am I glad they flashed lights at me --- these were BIG !!

Maria 01-21-2015 08:50 AM

Moose

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!! You were so lucky to see this! We have been vacationing in Gilford for over 25 years and have never come across Moose! Great pictures!
;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 238998)
So -- here I was, driving up to the condo on Friday afternoon --

Cruising along the last stretch of the Rte 3 By-Pass Road & the oncoming cars start flashing their lights at me !

Being a courteous driver, I wave and thank them for (what I believed) the alert to the upcoming radar trap at the bottom of the hill by the airport and immediately start decelerating from my (let's just leave it as BRISK) speed. Come around the last turn before the steep downhill section and see these two rascals on the side of the road !!

Boy am I glad they flashed lights at me --- these were BIG !!

Cindido 01-21-2015 05:09 PM

Moose

I'm envious of your encounter with the Moose! I'd love to see them but I'm concerned they were so close to the busy road. Thankfully they seemed to have turned and headed away. Awesome photos & thanks for sharing! Still hoping to see a moose one day..........

Greene's Basin Girl 01-22-2015 01:57 AM

I usually see a moose every October while driving on Rt. 25 in Tamworth. I have also seen them swim in Green's Basin. They are beautifully massive!!!

lobstadanca 02-11-2015 10:23 PM

Maybe some day

We had a bear run in front of our car once on Route 153, but we've never seen a moose in the many, many years we've been in NH. My mom did have a collision with one on Route 25 in Tamworth at about 10:00 PM one night. It ran out of the woods straight into the side of her car. Fortunately she was OK, but it was not so lucky.

tis 02-12-2015 08:03 AM

My better half hit a moose, or it hit him years ago also in Tamworth. There used to be a restaurant on Rt. 16 that had the name Moose in it and it happened right there. That area must have a lot of them.

upthesaukee 02-12-2015 08:52 AM

Rte 16 Ossipee to Conway...

Signs don't say Moose Crossing...they say Hundreds of Collisions!!! In my limited travel up to and from No. Conway in the evening hours, I have seen 2-3 moose vs. auto accidents. Scary. Of course, that road has woods coming up close to the road shoulders in many areas. A moose steps out of the woods onto the road and there is just not much time to see them and react.

When I was stationed up in Alaska, near Fairbanks, the safety briefing when I first got there included a suggestion that at night, use your high beams as much as possible, because moose are so tall, low beams don't pick up the moose body until it is too late. Not a bad idea around here, not just for moose, but also for deer.;)

AC2717 02-12-2015 10:21 AM

:laugh:but the sign means they only cross there at the sign:laugh:

upthesaukee 02-12-2015 10:38 AM

and...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 240119)
:laugh:but the sign means they only cross there at the sign:laugh:

...holds to the supposition that the moose or deer can read, and know to cross where the sign is located.

SIKSUKR 02-12-2015 01:14 PM

Donna the deer lady
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CI8UPHMzZm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>