Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Stimulus checks Option (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25503)

dippasan 03-31-2020 09:25 AM

Stimulus checks Option

I think I, and others who so choose, should have the option to go to an IRS or govt web site and opt out of receiving a stimulus check if eligible.

We're not wealthy by any stretch but my wife and I are still employed with no interuption in income and benefits thus far. (Knock on wood). We make every effort to be "self reliant".

We don't "need" a stimulus check. Getting extra money is always great but in light of the circumstances, it could be better served by getting it into the hands of others that are recently unemployed and in desparate need.

I would envision 3-4 choices with a check box
-Receive a check
-Don't receive a check (Uncle Sam keeps the $$)
-Take an additional tax deduction in the same amount
-Donate it to another family, cause, organization (Of my choosing) in great need.

Just a thought

Major 03-31-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 329993)
I think I, and others who so choose, should have the option to go to an IRS or govt web site and opt out of receiving a stimulus check if eligible.

We're not wealthy by any stretch but my wife and I are still employed with no interuption in income and benefits thus far. (Knock on wood). We make every effort to be "self reliant".

We don't "need" a stimulus check. Getting extra money is always great but in light of the circumstances, it could be better served by getting it into the hands of others that are recently unemployed and in desparate need.

-Receive a check
-Donate it to another family, cause, organization (Of my choosing) in great need.

Just a thought

It's your money. If I were you, I would take it. I wish I had that option. We need to remember, our government has a spending problem, not a revenue collection problem. None of us would give a drunk a drink. Nor should we give our government more money.

baygo 03-31-2020 09:52 AM

It is your borrowed money. I for one struggle with the concept of borrowing money to give it away.

VitaBene 03-31-2020 10:17 AM

Those that don't need it or are still working, and don't want their $ staying in Uncle Sam's general slush fund, have the option of donating directly to many of the funds assisting out of work service industry professionals or similar groups.

FlyingScot 03-31-2020 10:29 AM

I will not be receiving a check, and I agree with the OP that too many people are getting them, but I also agree with Major that you should not refuse the money.

I hope folks who will not be spending their checks will send the amount they are due to their local food bank. No surprise with so many people being thrown out of work--they are getting absolutely slammed right now. I made a larger than usual donation to the Greater Boston Food Bank after they reported that their daily volumes have doubled. I like donating to them because they are extremely efficient and well managed--similar to what you would expect of a strong for-profit supermarket chain.

Here's a link to Boston: https://www.gbfb.org/

And another to NH: https://www.nhfoodbank.org/

thinkxingu 03-31-2020 11:35 AM

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be bookmarking that money to be used supporting local business, and supporting generously (extra orders, tips, GCs, etc.)—to me, that's as essential as it gets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 03-31-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 329993)

-Receive a check

Just a thought

Take it and donate it.

map 03-31-2020 12:11 PM

Take it and direct the money where you would like- a charity or someone you know in need, etc.

My husband and I will give ours to our son who was just laid off because of all this.

Bear Islander 03-31-2020 12:18 PM

Wouldn't it be simpler to just not cash the check?

Susie Cougar 03-31-2020 01:24 PM

You should donate it to someone. There are always many people that you can identify as needing help. I’m glad that you do not need any help. That’s a very nice thing to do.

WinnisquamZ 03-31-2020 01:49 PM

Leave a large tip at your favorite restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ThePlut 03-31-2020 02:25 PM

Just to echo others, you should take check, cash it, and donate it in any way you see fit. Far better for you to have it and redistribute it than trust the government to do it for you.

garysanfran 03-31-2020 03:11 PM

Just wondering...

How many Govt. employees, forced to remain in shelter-at-home, are continuing to get full tax-payer funded pay checks?

JEEPONLY 03-31-2020 04:50 PM

Jeez, Gary...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 330059)
How many Govt. employees, forced to remain in shelter-at-home, are continuing to get full tax-payer funded pay checks?

This thread was going so well.

Major 03-31-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 330059)

That’s been one of my points all along. How many politicians and government employees have lost their jobs as a result of the Chinese coronavirus? None I bet. If these same people were also at risk of losing their jobs I bet they’d think twice about shutting down our economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEEPONLY 03-31-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 330076)
That’s been one of my points all along. How many politicians and government employees have lost their jobs as a result of the Chinese coronavirus? None I bet. If these same people were also at risk of losing their jobs I bet they’d think twice about shutting down our economy.

Have you not seen how many people are/would be willing to donate their stimulus check money? Seems to me like they didn't think twice on that!

BroadHopper 04-01-2020 07:07 AM

Donated the check

I decided to donate the check to a local charity involved in COVID-19 crisis. Put it to good use. Also my former employer is giving a similar check to retirees. I am donating that check as well!