Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Off in the distance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23110)

Airedale1 03-21-2018 11:23 AM

Off in the distance

I took this last Saturday from Lincoln Park in Gilford. Looking out over the big lake, that's Round Island straight ahead; with a snow capped Mt. Washington 50 miles off in the distance.

https://i.imgur.com/nqB4YuS.jpg

jhark44405 03-21-2018 11:48 AM

Nice photograph. Thanks for sharing.

AmantiDelLago 03-21-2018 08:38 PM

Hmmm...

I'm not seeing any photo in your post. I'm using a desk top. Although the description makes it sound like a nice photo.

fatlazyless 03-22-2018 05:07 AM

If you look close, you can see the spot, high up, where the Cog railroad wants to build a luxury, big money, hotel.

AmantiDelLago 03-22-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmantiDelLago (Post 292337)
I'm not seeing any photo in your post. I'm using a desk top. Although the description makes it sound like a nice photo.

Now viewing on my phone and the picture show's up. Weird
Nice shot and thanks for sharing.

Seaplane Pilot 03-22-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 292344)
If you look close, you can see the spot, high up, where the Cog railroad wants to build a luxury, big money, hotel.

Yeah, I heard it was all foam noodle construction, with Cheez-It siding. :laugh:

fatlazyless 03-22-2018 06:27 AM

The Cog wants to build a 25,000 square foot, 35-room, two story hotel building, that spans the single railroad track, within its' 99' right of way, at an elevation of 5000', within a mile of the 6289' Mt Washington summit.

Does their 99' railroad right of way, intended for the track, in place since 1869, legally allow the Cog to build a hotel way up top the mountain?

The Cog sold off its' interest in the nearby Mount Washington hotel a couple years ago, and wants to construct a Cog hotel high up on the track right of way?

http://www.newhampshire.com/travel-t...-2019-20180221 story and photos from February, 2018

Is this a good development or a bad development? Private business; jobs, wages, local prop taxes, state taxes, brings people to Mt Washington.
Probably has a public style bathroom that could maybe be used by hikers going up or down the super steep, Jewell Trail .....so's who knows .... let all the litigation continue and continue and continue?

webmaster 03-22-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 292290)
I took this last Saturday from Lincoln Park in Gilford. Looking out over the big lake, that's Round Island straight ahead; with a snow capped Mt. Washington 50 miles off in the distance.

Your picture reminds me of the late SteveA, who posted many pictures taken from Lincoln Park. Here's one of them that almost looks like it was taken from the exact same spot:

JPC 03-22-2018 08:16 AM

Round Island?????

Are you sure that's Round Island? It looks like Welch to me. I don't remember seeing pull-up docks on Round.

Slickcraft 03-22-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPC (Post 292360)
Are you sure that's Round Island? It looks like Welch to me. I don't remember seeing pull-up docks on Round.

Mt Washington is almost due north of Lincoln park as is Round Island.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 03-22-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPC (Post 292360)

Definitely Round....

JPC 03-22-2018 05:55 PM

Mt Washington view from Lincoln Park

I stand corrected. I thought Locke Island blocked the view of part of Round. :confused:

fatlazyless 03-24-2018 06:23 AM

Say-hey ......for some unknown reason, my link above to NH.com from Feb-2018 doesn't work, and it has some good Cog photos from Mt Washington ..... so's any chance someone here can redo it so it works?

Googling: 'Cog railway owner doubts proposed Skyline Lodge' should get you to this February, 2018 article in NewHampshire.com .

As viewed from Lincoln Park (posted-no trespassing; no entry into the lake water from Lincoln Park for swimming or kayaking) in Gilford, the Cog Railroad is on the other side, the west side, of Mt Washington. For something like 145-years, the Cog used locomotives that burned coal, the coal exhaust could be seen for miles and miles ..... there's just something very special about coal burning, steam locomotives .... compared to an efficient, modern diesel....what's now used to haul the passenger car up and down the steep slope...... made in Germany .... so its good that the Cog has kept one historic coal-steamer engine in use.

Slickcraft 03-24-2018 05:05 PM

Lincoln Park:

FLL: There is not a “no trespassing” sign at the park, it is a public park. And no state of mind restrictions.[emoji41] There is a no swimming sign, presumably even if you are noodle equipped.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 03-24-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 292432)
Lincoln Park:

FLL: There is not a “no trespassing” sign at the park, it is a public park.

Believe down close to the steep rocky embankment where the ground goes from grass to rocky shoreline, there's a 'No Trespassing-Do not cross embankment' sign intended to stop access to the lake water for swimming, kayaking, and sup stand up paddle boarding from the steep grassy hillside that is the one acre Lincoln Park.

Lincoln Park was gifted to Gilford in 1924 by A.V. Lincoln, a Boston railroad magnate who had a humongous 'cottage' up the road, that is still there. A railroad track used to go through Lincoln Park, down along the relatively flat section about half way down the slope.

Lincoln Park is directly on the water, with a super-duper view, but there is no water access from the park. You can look at the water, but you cannot go into the water. The Town of Gilford apparently does not want anyone to be crossing the rocky embankment to use the lake.

Would be nice for the town to build a hand carry, boat launch access here with a staircase down the rocky, steep embankment and a dock for launching kayaks and sup paddle boards. It could be a very happening, fun, scenic, big open water spot for stand up paddle boarding ..... namaste!

MAXUM 03-25-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 292438)
Would be nice for the town to build a hand carry, boat launch access here with a staircase down the rocky, steep embankment and a dock for launching kayaks and sup paddle boards. It could be a very happening, fun, scenic, big open water spot for stand up paddle boarding ..... namaste!

Yep this makes as much sense as your suggestion to do the same at the head of Paugus Bay near the Weirs channel.

Print out more Darwin awards if this happens we'll need them!

Slickcraft 03-25-2018 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 292438)
Believe down close to the steep rocky embankment where the ground goes from grass to rocky shoreline, there's a 'No Trespassing-Do not cross embankment' sign intended to stop access to the lake water for swimming, kayaking, and sup stand up paddle boarding from the steep grassy hillside that is the one acre Lincoln Park.

You are correct. Photo from April 9, 2017.

fatlazyless 03-25-2018 05:55 PM

All that tired looking picnic table needs is sanding, primer and paint, and it would be look'n a whole lot better!

All that undeveloped waterfront Lincoln Park embankment needs is a wood embankment staircase, and either a floating or height adjustable dock, and it would be look'n a whole lot better.

Some much potential in both items waiting to get fixed!