Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Old Computer Laptop Disposal ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26973)

bigdog 05-03-2021 03:45 PM

Old Computer Laptop Disposal ?

I've been cleaning out my office, and I have 3 old computer laptop I need disposal ? Any thoughts from Forum on where I can dispose of these ?

I cannot 'wipe' these PC's clean first of data, as the passwords to access these PC'S are long gone....

Thanks for your feedback !

BroadHopper 05-03-2021 04:26 PM

Wiping clean old computers

You can use the restore disk to wipe the disks clean.

The Eagle Scouts in Nashua 'clean' old computers and if it can be or is Windows 10, they will redistribute to nonprofits, students, etc.

If they have the old OS, you can upgrade them to Windows 10 and wipe all data at the same time. Instructions are online.

If computers cannot be upgraded, I believe one of the civic clubs take them apart and make new upgraded computers eligible for the upgrade. I can't remember which one.

I've been restoring old computers and give them to charity for years.

XCR-700 05-03-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 354663)
I've been cleaning out my office, and I have 3 old computer laptop I need disposal ? Any thoughts from Forum on where I can dispose of these ?

I cannot 'wipe' these PC's clean first of data, as the passwords to access these PC'S are long gone....

Thanks for your feedback !

Its called eBay, or possibly Facebook Marketplace. It seems there is a buyer for everything, and strangely good stuff seems to sell slower than something you were to throw out. Go figure,,,

Some days I can believe the old IT junk (and other stuff) I see for sale AND IT SELLS.

Well thats what I see.

Good luck.

Winilyme 05-03-2021 05:06 PM

I'd probably take out the hard drive, smash it to bits, and then dispose of the laptop at at 'local electronic disposal day' that they have fairly frequently - at least where I live here in CT. I have this lack of trust thing going on insofar as relying on software to wipe my drive clean.

WinnisquamZ 05-03-2021 06:26 PM

Interesting topic. I must have 6-8 laptops in my attic due to my fear of someone stealing personal information

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 05-03-2021 06:26 PM

I like BroadHopper's response. Failing that--smash the disk drive, and take everything else to Best Buy for free disposal anytime

MotorHead 05-03-2021 07:39 PM

Everything can be recovered, even if you reformat the hard drive or even use wipe disk. Putting couple of nails thru the hard drive or smashing the hard drive is the best suggestion.

thinkxingu 05-03-2021 07:51 PM

1:10
https://youtu.be/1Jkgy964tmU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

codeman671 05-03-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 354687)
Everything can be recovered, even if you reformat the hard drive or even use wipe disk. Putting couple of nails thru the hard drive or smashing the hard drive is the best suggestion.

I am in the ITAD and data destruction industry.

It takes some pretty sophisticated equipment to recover data from a hard drive when wiped with a decent software. I do have one of those machines, but you’ll would have to piece any fragments of data found like a puzzle to possibly get anything of use. These are typically used to pull files off a failed drive, not one that has been erased.

A 7 pass erasure meets DOD standards, with no physical destruction.

I have a hard drive shredder, degausser and numerous test and erasure racks here at work and can make anything unrecoverable if anyone is that concerned with the contents of their drive.

WinnisquamZ 05-03-2021 08:02 PM

After all this discussion a simple solution would be to drop them in the deep part

trfour 05-03-2021 11:57 PM

Sorry winn8sqwamZ

DO NOT CONTAMINATE Lake Winnipesaukee! And, what about the poor fish and divers?

SAB1 05-04-2021 04:48 AM

Couple 3 inch magnums out of your 12 gauge should do the trick .....

TiltonBB 05-04-2021 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 354687)

According to the FBI everything cannot be recovered if you use Bleach Bit. They said they tried and despite their BEST efforts they couldn't get it done.

You see, I heard about this woman......................

WinnisquamZ 05-04-2021 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 354704)
DO NOT CONTAMINATE Lake Winnipesaukee! And, what about the poor fish and divers?

Fish can’t read binary, no risk.

LIforrelaxin 05-04-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 354707)
Fish can’t read binary, no risk.

Now I don't care who you are, that is funny, right there.....

As many others have suggested in this thread, take the hard drive out, give the remaining puts to an electronic recycling group.... I go to a place here in Ma. that charges me by the point, when I decide I have enough to warrant the trip...

As for the hard drives, I smash, them, sometimes my son wipes them and then re-uses them.... sometimes they site in a box to rediscovered some time later.....

As codeman states some has to be willing to invest time and money to steal information off of an old hard drive......especially once it has been wiped clean...

bigdog 05-04-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 354705)
Couple 3 inch magnums out of your 12 gauge should do the trick .....

I like SAB1 option best, and you can have fun at the same time..... Brings a smile to my face ! :)

Then bring what's left to Best Buy, of course there my not be a lot to bring ! :laugh:

TheProfessor 05-04-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 354695)
After all this discussion a simple solution would be to drop them in the deep part

Oh, the memories.
As a child we used to swim out to the deeper part of lake and view the old washing machines and old oven stoves. On a clear calm day.

Was exciting to view what our parents and neighbors had disposed of in previous generations.

Times have changed though. Not sure but that the fish may reactivate this old laptop. But if there are any adult pictures left on laptop - the fish will find them.

BroadHopper 05-04-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 354733)
Oh, the memories.
As a child we used to swim out to the deeper part of lake and view the old washing machines and old oven stoves. On a clear calm day.

Was exciting to view what our parents and neighbors had disposed of in previous generations.

Times have changed though. Not sure but that the fish may reactivate this old laptop. But if there are any adult pictures left on laptop - the fish will find them.

Parents and neighbors use to fill old refrigerators with rocks and use them for mooring! And they are not far from shore!

Pricestavern 05-04-2021 10:47 AM

Kill It

You need to destroy the disk drive (assuming you have a disk drive). Shooting them can be fun. However, if you are in an area where you cannot discharge a firearm, an easy way is to drill a few holes in them with a 1/8 - 1/4" drill bit rendering them incapable of spinning and therefore being read.