Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Island Damage 2022 Christmas Storm (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28517)

granitebox 12-26-2022 10:29 PM

Island Damage 2022 Christmas Storm

3 Attachment(s)
BICA and the Meredith Island Association are both warning folks about extensive damage to the north and west exposure island properties. At this point not a lot of specifics on the damage but these 3 pictures were shared. Has anyone got any further information?

TheTimeTraveler 12-26-2022 10:43 PM

I've heard a lot of trees came down all over and around the lake. The damages aren't limited to just the islands.

Fierce winds whipped the trees and a lot of the trees were ripped right out of the ground.

Descant 12-27-2022 09:46 AM

South side of Welch

Lost one tree, about 10" diameter broke about 10' above ground. Otherwise, branches blown around but no known building damage from on site inspection. Thank you, Ben and Island Construction for watching out for us.

Bear Islander 12-27-2022 10:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Two picture from just south of the Mail Dock on Bear.

Lake Fan 12-27-2022 03:16 PM

NHEC is doing an aerial inspection of island properties to assess damage.

https://www.facebook.com/NHElectricCooperative

codeman671 12-27-2022 08:07 PM

I can see the west side of Rattlesnake and Diamond, southern part of Welch and Steamboat from my house. If anyone has concerns send me a pm and I can check them out by telescope.

welch-time 12-27-2022 08:47 PM

We're on the North side of Welch (22). I'd appreciate if anyone could take a look if they're out there.
Power is down so my cameras aren't working.

Thanks,
Mark

ishoot308 12-27-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welch-time (Post 379942)
We're on the North side of Welch (22). I'd appreciate if anyone could take a look if they're out there.
Power is down so my cameras aren't working.

Thanks,
Mark

Have you checked your cameras today?? Power came back on today at my place on Welch.

Dan

welch-time 12-27-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 379944)
Have you checked your cameras today?? Power came back on today at my place on Welch.

Dan

Yes, just checked. Still down. We're at the end of the NW power line. At least 2 other camps nearby (a neighbor and brother-in-law) are still down so it isn't just me. I had cameras working early Friday intermittently, saw big waves and 5 inches of rain on my weather station so I thought the worst was past. Didn't see any trees down. Cameras been down since Friday evening.

-Mark

steve-on-mark 12-28-2022 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 379939)
I can see the west side of Rattlesnake and Diamond, southern part of Welch and Steamboat from my house. If anyone has concerns send me a pm and I can check them out by telescope.

My only concern is that you might become a peeping Tom up on the hill!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

codeman671 12-28-2022 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 379949)
My only concern is that you might become a peeping Tom up on the hill!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I can’t see Mark from here so you are safe…So are my retinas.

steve-on-mark 12-28-2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 379951)
I can’t see Mark from here so you are safe…So are my retinas.

I suppose as long as you didn't get a long range drone for Christmas I'll feel somewhat safe. So much for my intricate timing patterns for the dock circulator...;-)

MV007 12-28-2022 03:23 PM

Helicopter Flight Path over Bear

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the flight path over Bear on 27-Dec-2022

tummyman 12-28-2022 03:38 PM

From NHEC Web site today:
As crews make the last reconnections today on land, NHEC is preparing to take to the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee to survey the extensive damage that occurred on several islands there. NHEC serves nearly 1,000 members on island properties throughout its service territory, 400 of whom are without power on the islands of Lake Winnipesaukee. An aerial assessment of the islands yesterday confirmed that at least 12 utility poles and large swaths of trees are down on Bear Island alone. After a detailed assessment of the resources necessary to repair and restore power, NHEC will create a plan to safely transport people and equipment to the islands and conduct restorations. NHEC will be communicating directly with island members to inform them of its plans to restore service.

Hivolt 12-28-2022 05:03 PM

From what I have heard it is substantial damage, and that's coming from linemen. Usually what people think is substantial damage is no big deal to us, I've heard there are vast sections of wire down off poles, significant equipment (transformer) damage. With that kind of damage I would bet there will be a large number of people with services ripped off their houses and service entrance damage.

Jilliebean28 12-28-2022 07:55 PM

Not on an island but in Moultonborough and had 2 trees fall on our house. Broke our chimney off and punched multiple holes in the roof. Overall pretty lucky!

ITD 12-29-2022 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MV007 (Post 379960)
Here's the flight path over Bear on 27-Dec-2022

I saw these guys before they got into the helicopter. Nice guys, I hope people remaining without power get restored soon. Just remember, these linemen did not cause this damage, go easy on them as they try to fix things. Sounds like it may take a while.

(Not directed at you MV007)

Pine Island Guy 12-30-2022 10:10 AM

we have power!

Power was restored on Pine Island yesterday, THANK YOU NHEC!!!

Looks like for at least the next week it's good boating weather for my commute

For anyone needing lift to Bear Island, PM me

Happy New Year 2023 everyone! -PIG

steve-on-mark 12-30-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy (Post 379991)
Power was restored on Pine Island yesterday, THANK YOU NHEC!!!

Looks like for at least the next week it's good boating weather for my commute

For anyone needing lift to Bear Island, PM me

Happy New Year 2023 everyone! -PIG

How long do you stay out??

welch-time 01-02-2023 04:58 PM

Welch Island Update:

Today my brother & sister-in-law went to Welch to check for storm damage since all our security cameras have been down. They walked the perimeter of the island and didn't see any significant damage to any houses. The power on Welch has been restored but phone/internet service has not. There's lots of trees down on top of cables on the south side where the power lines come from the mainland and then split into the 2 power lines. The power company managed to restring the cables (thanks guys) to get them off the ground but the phone cables are still on the ground. I'll try to post some pictures as I get them.

welch-time 01-02-2023 05:31 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of the damaged utility lines on Welch Island taken today. Notice the multi-conductor phone cable still trapped under the trees.
The word is that the phone lines will not be repaired until spring. I'll be calling Consolidated Communications to temporarily suspend my service if they don't plan on repairing until spring.
I'd urge you to do the same if you have inoperative cameras on Welch.

-Mark

welch-time 01-04-2023 11:51 AM

Welch Islanders: Consolidated Communications will not be repairing the phone cable (internet) until spring because their work boat has been stored for winter. You can call customer support to suspend service & refund. (603) 759-4492

-Mark

Pine Island Guy 01-04-2023 10:51 PM

I won't know till I know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 379992)
How long do you stay out??

Until I can't break through the ice in my Alumacraft!! I was out on the north end of Mark a few days ago and took a bunch of photos of places. No damage to any structures and just one power line down to a single house.

PM me if you would like the link to the photos

-PIG

ishoot308 01-05-2023 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welch-time (Post 380101)
Welch Islanders: Consolidated Communications will not be repairing the phone cable (internet) until spring because their work boat has been stored for winter. You can call customer support to suspend service & refund. (603) 759-4492

-Mark

Thanks Mark! Luckily I now have HUB-66 and power is up and running so for now my cameras are up and running... From the recent pics I have seen on the island, there is a LOT of spring cleanup to be done for sure!

Dan

welch-time 01-05-2023 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 380125)
Thanks Mark! Luckily I now have HUB-66 and power is up and running so for now my cameras are up and running... From the recent pics I have seen on the island, there is a LOT of spring cleanup to be done for sure!

Dan

Dan,

Yes, I'll be looking into wireless solutions in spring.

Thanks,
Mark

MDoug 01-19-2023 11:51 AM

Bear Island Power

Loks like Bear has power now
BearCam is on
Our camp phone rang when I called just now, so that means power and cable are on