Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Skunk smell (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13713)

eillac@dow 03-13-2012 04:24 PM

Skunk smell

So for the first time...my poor baby got hit by a skunk. He has been cleaned and smells "ok"...but the rest of us still have that lingering odor.

It happened this morning around 6:35...kids were still sleeping and I confined the dog...Hunter..to the mudroom until I could figure out what to do....kids never came in contact with him...but somehow they have the odor. They went to school and my daughter was asked to leave class because of it....my son's class was complaining of the odor but he kept silent and said nothing...:)

We have showered multiple times, washes our hair with a vinegar, baking soda and dawn mixture, but just want to make sure it is gone. Last thing I want is for a HS senior and sophomore is to back to school tomorrow and encounter the same problem or for their mother....ME...to go to
work smelling like a skunk!

Any reco's?

Thank you....
Allie

RLW 03-13-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eillac@dow (Post 177745)
So for the first time...my poor baby got hit by a skunk. He has been cleaned and smells "ok"...but the rest of us still have that lingering odor.

It happened this morning around 6:35...kids were still sleeping and I confined the dog...Hunter..to the mudroom until I could figure out what to do....kids never came in contact with him...but somehow they have the odor. They went to school and my daughter was asked to leave class because of it....my son's class was complaining of the odor but he kept silent and said nothing...:)

We have showered multiple times, washes our hair with a vinegar, baking soda and dawn mixture, but just want to make sure it is gone. Last thing I want is for a HS senior and sophomore is to back to school tomorrow and encounter the same problem or for their mother....ME...to go to

Any reco's?

Thank you....
Allie

If the puppy dog smells OK, I guess it is time to do the same thing to the kids that you did to the puppy dog. It also sounds like the puppy wasn't on a leash. LOL

Hope you http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif tomorrow

eillac@dow 03-13-2012 05:43 PM

I call him my baby...but he is close to 4. We have an electric fence...he went out and literally 10 seconds later I heard I strange bark...yelp..growl...and he was running back in the house.

I ended up having him professionally groomed, but I did talk to the pediatrician about the "peroxide...baking soda...Dawn" mixture...answer was no...to try the vinegar..soda mixture. I am thinking we smell "good"... But ...there is still a lingering...I think!

Just wondering about other suggestions. :)

Jonas Pilot 03-13-2012 05:50 PM

Just wondering about other suggestions. :)[/QUOTE]

Time and love.

mcdude 03-13-2012 05:58 PM

We just went through this....ick. Put dryer sheets in next to your furnace filter to deodorize the house.

eillac@dow 03-13-2012 06:17 PM

Time and love.[/QUOTE]

No question about it!

To McDude...good idea. I think I will b putting them all over! Thanks!

RLW 03-13-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 177753)
We just went through this....ick. Put dryer sheets in next to your furnace filter to deodorize the house.

What if you have baseboard hot water heat?????:) I guess you could stick them in all the pockets of the kids to help them being with their friends in school. LOL

martbri7 03-13-2012 09:17 PM

If you search for a thread "Tanker got nailed by a skunk" could give you help in your situation. I used that foam spray which worked well but time is key....On a rainy day I can still smell our black and white kitty friend on our dog and that was over a year ago:D:D:D

GTO 03-14-2012 09:17 AM

wow,

Quote:

Originally Posted by eillac@dow (Post 177745)

Any reco's?

Thank you....
Allie

Been there. When my dog got sprayed, we let him in the back door and right to the bathroom but unfortuneately, he want right by my sons backpack. The next day we got a call form him at school that he needed to come home because he was stinkin up the place. Good thing he has a good sense of humor. We ended up throwing the backpack out, just can't get that smell out of certain things. With the warm weather here, open up all the windows and doors, air out the place

CateP 03-14-2012 12:38 PM

Skunk Smell Secret

Secret solution? Massengil douche powder. Mix it up. Apply. Not kidding. It works.

SIKSUKR 03-14-2012 12:46 PM

Oh boy,that's a softball that I'm not going to swing at.:laugh:

Blue Thunder 03-14-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 177791)
Oh boy,that's a softball that I'm not going to swing at.:laugh:

Cate P is correct though....I recommended it in the "Tanker got nailed by a skunk" thread last year. IT WORKS and the person behind the counter at CVS or wherever will know exactly why you are purchasing it.....