Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lobster roll 2019 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24799)

jbolty 07-30-2019 06:54 AM

Lobster roll 2019

Who has the best one in the lakes region this year? Any recent reports?

joey2665 07-30-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 316395)

I might not be the best source because I do not like mayo so I have the poached lobster with butter option. Believe it or not I had a great one at the Weathervane at the Weir’s a few weeks ago nice a fresh and cooked perfect with plenty of lobster meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

garysanfran 07-30-2019 08:05 AM

Weathervane @ The Weirs...

I like that place and it's boatable...

FlyingScot 07-30-2019 08:15 AM

Castle in the Clouds is my favorite; they are exceptional on quality of lobster. I'm normally a mayo guy, but the Castle serves theirs as Joey prefers (butter is on the side, I skip it). These are probably on the pricey side--full service including cocktails on their patio with majestic view of the lake. Lunch only

Also had a very good one at Tamarack last week--very good and plentiful lobster, just a bit of mayo

webmaster 07-30-2019 08:58 AM

Being a big lobster roll fan I have to jump in. What I want to know is which restaurants use real Maine lobster in their rolls? Most don't. Langostino and canned North Atlantic lobster are commonly used. Langostino is half the price of Maine Lobster and IMHO is not at all as good. The last time I went to Tamarack their lobster rolls were actually Langostino. I used to really like Waldo Peppers lobster rolls but they were also made from canned North Atlantic lobster meat.

Anyone who has had a lobster roll at Red's in Maine knows what a REAL Maine lobster roll is. Do any Lakes Region lobster rolls even come close to Red's? Do any of them use real fresh Maine lobster?

mcdude 07-30-2019 08:59 AM

According to WMUR, number one in NH is the Poor People's Pub in Sanbornville and number 9 is the Bob House in Moultonborough.

macbeth 07-30-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 316406)
Being a big lobster roll fan I have to jump in. What I want to know is which restaurants use real Maine lobster in their rolls? Most don't. Langostino and canned North Atlantic lobster are commonly used. Langostino is half the price of Maine Lobster and IMHO is not at all as good. The last time I went to Tamarack their lobster rolls were actually Langostino. I used to really like Waldo Peppers lobster rolls but they were also made from canned North Atlantic lobster meat.

Anyone who has had a lobster roll at Red's in Maine knows what a REAL Maine lobster roll is. Do any Lakes Region lobster rolls even come close to Red's? Do any of them use real fresh Maine lobster?

I have had RED'S lobster roll many times. The answer to your question is NO.
No one comes close to Red's. Totally worth a hour wait to get one. And Everyone in line I have found to be very pleasant. I actually lent 20 bucks to a family that was in front of me because they didn't have enough cash. And Yes I got a check in the mail a couple weeks later with a nice Thank You note.

jbolty 07-30-2019 09:14 AM

I'm sitting about 500 yards from Bob House right now, on the other hand I have not been to Poor Peoples Pub in 20+ years. Anybody want to meet for lunch?

TheTimeTraveler 07-30-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 316395)

Pops in Alton Bay has an excellent Lobster Roll as well as The Weathervane at Weirs Beach.

Newbiesaukee 07-30-2019 09:46 AM

Not an expert but we love the roll at the Village Kitchen. Their sweet potato fries are great as a side.

jbolty 07-30-2019 10:31 AM

I think tamarac got called out many years for the langostino thing? It had that on the sign or maybe “lobster” or both years ago. Just says lobster now unless it’s in the fine print

Major 07-30-2019 10:38 AM

Robert's

We enjoy Robert's in Kittery, Maine. Excellent! Enjoy it with a cup of clam chowder (also excellent) and home made fries. A bit pricey but worth it!

jbolty 07-30-2019 11:22 AM

I took no ones advice. At nazwa now but going to bob house later. Full report to follow

joey2665 07-30-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 316421)
We enjoy Robert's in Kittery, Maine. Excellent! Enjoy it with a cup of clam chowder (also excellent) and home made fries. A bit pricey but worth it!

I love Roberts also. Great place

BroadHopper 07-30-2019 01:00 PM

Lobsta Roll!

Best value lobster roll and contains plenty of real lobsta meat hands down in downtown Laconia, Vista Food. They even give you a frequent flyer card!

Next up is Pop's in Alton followed by the NAZ. Naz is great during the week! The NAZ has entertainment on Wednesday.

Next you have the Lobsta Connection on Winnisquam!

All have your choice of butta or Mayo dressing! If mayo only like most places I been to I walk away and give them an F.

In season T-Bones and Inn at Smith Point has great lobsta rolls as well.

The standard bearer goes to RED EATS in Maine. Worth the trip!

moose tracks 07-30-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Red's Eats lobster rolls tend to be bland. They gives you an enormous amount of lobster on a bun with butter on the side. There is no mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, parsley, salt or pepper on their lobster roll. I think they are famous for the large amount of Maine lobster you get not the taste.

jbolty 07-30-2019 02:23 PM

I agree about Red's. Huge but bland

Went to nazwa today last minute so I could meet my friends and their boat.

Got a lobster roll there because, why not? It was good, generous portion, a smattering of celery and light mayo. Not cheap at $22 but had a great seat right by the water. A nice slaw on the side also. Friendly help too.

Only complaint was the roll. Too much bread and not toasted but I would go back.

I'll save castle for another day when it's not so overcast. Of tomorrow too so maybe PPP. We'll see how the day goes.

thanks

mcdude 07-30-2019 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well....this thread needs a pic of a lobstah roll!!!

Hot or cold.....$19.99.....at Poor People's Pub

jbolty 07-30-2019 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nazwa and bob house

today was a good day

Sue Doe-Nym 07-30-2019 03:50 PM

Lobster rolls

Our favorite thing is to buy lobster meat at Wine’ing Butcher in Meredith and make our own lobster rolls, enjoying them on our porch, overlooking the lake. No noise, no crowds, just a scrumptious, peaceful meal.

FlyingScot 07-30-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Great question. Impossible to know provenance for sure without working in the kitchen, but my parents live in Maine, and I have Maine lobster rolls at least 6X/year. Tamarack used 100% lobster on the roll I just had. I was pleasantly surprised, I expected langostinos. (and surely would not have posted in those circumstances, haha)

Pineedles 07-30-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 316444)
Well....this thread needs a pic of a lobstah roll!!!

Hot or cold.....$19.99.....at Poor People's Pub

Why can I not find lobster roll on the online menu? Only on special nights?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

mcdude 07-31-2019 06:05 AM

Pineedles: It's listed just about daily on their Facebook postings.

https://scontent.fbos1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1b&oe=5DA4F2F2

Pineedles 07-31-2019 06:55 AM

Thanks mcdude, I couldn’t see it because I went to their regular website. Got off FB awhile ago. But now I know where I can go for the best!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

trfour 07-31-2019 09:42 AM

Just Nor'East of Red's

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 316459)
Why can I not find lobster roll on the online menu? Only on special nights?

Baddeck Lobster Suppers...

https://www.baddecklobstersuppers.ca/menu

TheTimeTraveler 07-31-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 316486)

Don't forget your Passport!

BroadHopper 07-31-2019 10:16 AM

Bass Hole Pub

Just finish an enormous Lobster roll. Prepared to my liking. Butter instead of mayo, toasted roll, sweet potato fries! I was so hungry I ate before snapping a photo! Check it out!

trfour 07-31-2019 10:19 AM

Gradfather'd In

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 316487)
Don't forget your Passport!

Bought 100 acres on the Cabot Trail in North River back in 1971.

phoenix 07-31-2019 02:48 PM

Kelly’s roast beef at terminal b at Logan lobster roll is wonderful and huge and less than $20

Hillcountry 07-31-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 316504)
Kelly’s roast beef at terminal b at Logan lobster roll is wonderful and huge and less than $20

Heck, if I was at Kelly’s roast beef, that’s what I would be chowing down on!
Nothing against lobstah...but “when in Rome”

pjard 07-31-2019 05:44 PM

The good lobster rolls seem to be bigger this year (yay for competition) I know this sounds nuts with all the good seafood specialty place around here but do yourself a favor and try just one at The 99. Any 99 anywhere other than some in CT and NY. Trust me, it's worth a try.

Andromeda321 08-01-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 316504)

I discovered that one last month by happy accident and was pretty shocked to find something so good at a reasonable price in an airport. Now I just have to keep hoping I fly out of B again!