Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Water..... Help ! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28266)

bigdog 08-28-2022 05:30 PM

No Water..... Help !

This afternoon my wife went to turn on kitchen faucet, and no water !
I then went into the bath-room off kitchen and turned on water, with same results.

First thought, was the circuit-breaker fuse to the pump triggered for some reason ? Checked fuse breaker and all looked ok, but reset anyway.
Tried faucet again, but still no water.

Next, checked the pressure to the water ‘holding tank’,
it was at zero pounds pressure.

So now I’m think I may have one of two problems here:
1. The holding tank is dead and can’t hold air. OR
2. Pump in the well has died
Holding tank, pump and Well are original, 16 years old

Thoughts on what the underlying issue is ?
Recommendations for pump service ?
(I’m in Gilford, and know Gilford Well services this area, but would like other recommendations also)

In the mean time I'm lugging jugs of water to bath-room to flush toilets.
Wife not happy ! :eek:

Thanks !

John Mercier 08-28-2022 06:15 PM

The pump would push water past the tank if the tank bladder had failed.
Just the pump would need to start immediately every time there was a call for any water and it may cause some ''banging'' of the pipes.

The pump may have burned out, the impellers may have degraded, or the wire to the pump may have shorted.

bigdog 08-28-2022 07:13 PM

Problem has been identified !

1 Attachment(s)
Problem has been identified ! I believe the pump 'pressure switch' is the issue.
Pressure switch is mounted on a 1/4-in tube near the pressure tank.

I was able to trouble-shoot the cause and solution from this website.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/proje...nd-diy-repair/

I have attached a picture of my pump switch. The 1/4" pipe I tapped is shown below the switch box.

They stated that if banging on the tube under the pressure switch kicks on the well pump, it means the contact surfaces of the electrical contacts are pitted or burned, on the pump switch causing a poor connection.

So I banged on the 1/4-in tube under the pressure switch, and darn if that do the trick. Water flowing again as normal. Wife happy again !!!!

I'll check the switch contacts for pitting and burning, and clean all electrical contacts, with nail/emory file. Will contact a plumber/electrician to replace pressure switch. Switch are fairly cheap, it will be the labor that will cost.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated !

fatlazyless 08-28-2022 07:26 PM

You should pretty much be okay to replace the pressure switch with a new identical pressure switch as opposed to hiring a $250-electrician to do it.

For unscrewing the 1/2" diameter round collar nuts that hold the metal housing to the conduit use a medium flat screwdriver and a hammer and just tap-tap-tap the two around counter-clockwise and the two collars will come unscrewed.

Just make it all identical to what's there now and don't mess with the setting on the new $30 pressure switch.

John Mercier 08-28-2022 08:48 PM

Mine started out as that...
Then after changing that out it was determined that the wires running down the well to the pump had corroded causing the switch to ''fuse'' open.

Daniel's jumped the wire (cut out the old and tied in with new wire), taped it back up tight and replaced the torque arrestors.

bigdog 08-29-2022 08:19 AM

Plumbing Supplies ?

Besides F.W. Webb, where do the Pro's shop for plumbing supplies ?

In my case I will need a 'pressure switch' for my water system as described in previous Post.

Thanks in advance......

Little Bear 08-29-2022 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 375676)
Besides F.W. Webb, where do the Pro's shop for plumbing supplies ?

In my case I will need a 'pressure switch' for my water system as described in previous Post.

Thanks in advance......

Try these guys in Alton: https://waterindustriesllc.com/

John Mercier 08-29-2022 08:27 AM

Granite Group.
Behind the old Pepi Hermann shop across from the Laconia Airport.
Waterford Place

bigdog 08-29-2022 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 375678)
Granite Group.
Waterford Place

Thanks John, I will stop there tomorrow after going to Gilford Recycling center.

The pressure switch is a Square D, very common brand, so fairly sure Granite Group would carry this item

bigdog 08-29-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 375678)
Granite Group.
Waterford Place

John...
Granite Group has my part... $22

In the meantime I popped off pressure switch cover (power off of course)
and cleaned the 4 contact points with emory board, and a little 100 grit sandpaper. I noticed some pitting on points, so cleaned them up.
Hopefully be OK until I get new switch installed.

Reminds me of cleaning the points in my car distributor, back in the day, same principal.

Thanks again ! :)

SteveO123 08-29-2022 04:05 PM

Make sure the 1/4” pressure hose is clear too. Mine used to get mucked up, blocking the pressure from the pump side to the switch. I reamed the gunk out with a small piece of wire .