Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   LPC LoonCam 2017 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22099)

Lakegeezer 06-11-2017 04:18 PM

LPC LoonCam 2017

The Loon Preservation Committee (Loon Center) looncam is back and watching over two eggs. They are due to hatch next weekend. The link is at www.loon.org or directly to YouTube.

The night-time sounds from the pond are amazing. It is as if you are right there with the frogs and peepers.

Descant 06-13-2017 02:21 PM

There was one on the livecam last year that, if I recall correctly, went some days overdue. Then I lost track. Did they hatch successfully last year?

greeleyhill 06-13-2017 04:23 PM

Loons near Little Island - Paugus Bay?

Do loons usually nest in the same location year after year or do they move around? There were some in Paugus Bay last year around little island - wondering if we'll see and hear them again this year.

Greene's Basin Girl 06-19-2017 12:45 PM

They usually nest in the same place. They have nested in the same place in Green's Basin for as long ad I can remember.

Blyblvrd 06-26-2017 11:47 AM

Momma Loon carrying her babies

Caught this at the lake yesterday. I've never seen baby loons let alone momma loon carrying two of them :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VW2OzkD5LWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/VW2OzkD5LWg

Tedougherty 06-26-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blyblvrd (Post 280734)
Caught this at the lake yesterday. I've never seen baby loons let alone momma loon carrying two of them :)

https://youtu.be/VW2OzkD5LWg

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 06-26-2017 03:28 PM

Those are mergansers, ducks. Loons usually only have one baby, occasionally two.

Blyblvrd 06-26-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 280749)
Those are mergansers, ducks. Loons usually only have one baby, occasionally two.

Someone else just told me the same. Doh. Sorry and I will stick to my day job :):D

Greene's Basin Girl 06-27-2017 12:47 AM

We have 2 loon chicks where we reside. They were born on Sunday June 25th.

jeffk 06-27-2017 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blyblvrd (Post 280759)
Someone else just told me the same. Doh. Sorry and I will stick to my day job :):D

A little story

A woman from the city was vacationing in New Hampshire with her children. They were all enjoying the beautify of the Winnipesaukee area, especially the children who were of the age for which nature seemed almost miraculous. They kept pointing at things and asking their mother about them. Their mom happily interacted with her kids. They seemed especially taken with the enormous variety of animals and pointed out all the different types they saw in the air, water, and on the land.

In one field, they saw a group of large animals and the children were immediately full of questions. To their mother’s pride they quickly identified them as cows; there were dozens of them. Mom engaged the kids with a lively discussion about cows. The kids were fascinated and especially interested in the whole concept of how cows provided their daily glasses of milk.

The woman, noting that one cow was standing all by itself near the farmhouse and also that the farm owner was outside as well and knowing of New Hampshire hospitality, decided to ask the farmer if her kids could look at his cow and if he might possibly demonstrate how a cow is milked.

She pulled over, got out with her adorable children, and approached the farmer, who indeed smiled at the children and seemed welcoming. She launched into an explanation of their visit and desire for some “hands on” nature exploration with the man’s cow.

The farmer suddenly turned serious and seemed a bit sad, because he knew he would have to disappoint the children. “Mam, I’m sorry but I can’t milk that animal for you.”, he said. The woman launched into how much the children would learn and how appreciative she would be. The farmer shook his head and said, “I’m sorry, but no.”.

The woman said, “But WHY not?”.

The farmer said, “Mam, I can’t milk that cow for you because THAT cow is a bull!”.

He left it to the woman to explain the difference to the children.

Sorry Blyblvrd, I couldn’t resist.

tis 06-27-2017 04:49 AM

Don't feel bad, Bly, we all had to learn once.

Blyblvrd 06-27-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 280768)
A little story

A woman from the city was vacationing in New Hampshire with her children. They were all enjoying the beautify of the Winnipesaukee area, especially the children who were of the age for which nature seemed almost miraculous. They kept pointing at things and asking their mother about them. Their mom happily interacted with her kids. They seemed especially taken with the enormous variety of animals and pointed out all the different types they saw in the air, water, and on the land.

In one field, they saw a group of large animals and the children were immediately full of questions. To their mother’s pride they quickly identified them as cows; there were dozens of them. Mom engaged the kids with a lively discussion about cows. The kids were fascinated and especially interested in the whole concept of how cows provided their daily glasses of milk.

The woman, noting that one cow was standing all by itself near the farmhouse and also that the farm owner was outside as well and knowing of New Hampshire hospitality, decided to ask the farmer if her kids could look at his cow and if he might possibly demonstrate how a cow is milked.

She pulled over, got out with her adorable children, and approached the farmer, who indeed smiled at the children and seemed welcoming. She launched into an explanation of their visit and desire for some “hands on” nature exploration with the man’s cow.

The farmer suddenly turned serious and seemed a bit sad, because he knew he would have to disappoint the children. “Mam, I’m sorry but I can’t milk that animal for you.”, he said. The woman launched into how much the children would learn and how appreciative she would be. The farmer shook his head and said, “I’m sorry, but no.”.

The woman said, “But WHY not?”.

The farmer said, “Mam, I can’t milk that cow for you because THAT cow is a bull!”.

He left it to the woman to explain the difference to the children.

Sorry Blyblvrd, I couldn’t resist.

Lol![emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

icg56 06-30-2017 03:44 PM

Real Loon and Chick

1 Attachment(s)
In Greene's Basin 6-30-2017, disturbed water behind them is from jet skiier who as driving too close (repeatedly!)

Greene's Basin Girl 07-05-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icg56 (Post 281017)
In Greene's Basin 6-30-2017, disturbed water behind them is from jet skiier who as driving too close (repeatedly!)

We have a big problem in Green's Basin with jet skis and wake-board boats. The same boat will spend 4 hours going around and around. Last year one of our chicks got separated from the family due to the huge wake of the boat when someone was wake boarding. It never found it's family again. We are sure that it not survive. Even though that there is a loon chick sign many boaters do not even think about the loons. Whenever they survive we feel it is a miracle.

thinkxingu 07-06-2017 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 281277)
We have a big problem in Green's Basin with jet skis and wake-board boats. The same boat will spend 4 hours going around and around. Last year one of our chicks got separated from the family due to the huge wake of the boat when someone was wake boarding. It never found it's family again. We are sure that it not survive. Even though that there is a loon chick sign many boaters do not even think about the loons. Whenever they survive we feel it is a miracle.

Every issue people have with boaters on the lake comes back to respect and thoughtfulness, but the "me" culture is very much solidified, and it will take years--and the right leaders and media messages--to change that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

noreast 07-06-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 281284)
Every issue people have with boaters on the lake comes back to respect and thoughtfulness, but the "me" culture is very much solidified, and it will take years--and the right leaders and media messages--to change that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Yup, but good luck with that. Unfortunately people only respond to losing privileges and hefty fines, We usually get what we deserve, or earned anyway.