Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spring Commissioning (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26372)

MotorHead 09-25-2020 07:08 AM

Spring Commissioning

I know it is waaaaay to early but what does “Spring Commissioning” of a Jet Ski involve?

As far as I know it is
Reconnect the battery
Make sure it starts…

I am just trying to understand the $200 certain marinas are charging for this.

Thank you.

AC2717 09-25-2020 07:41 AM

you got it that is all
maybe they include an oil change and a tune up

thinkxingu 09-25-2020 08:49 AM

DaSilva's quoted $325 for winterization/oil change/and spring launch. Not sure if that includes new plugs or not, nor do I know what that includes in the spring other than getting it ready for me to pick up and put in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 09-25-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 344094)
I am just trying to understand the $200 certain marinas are charging for this.

Thank you.

Because they can...otherwise, it's up to you to take it upon yourself, travel elsewhere with the ski in tow, buy an owner's manual, etc etc etc..then wonder if you did it correctly...

MotorHead 09-25-2020 09:01 AM

HK ~$275 for Oil change and Winterization.

While I think it is a ripoff, it is what it is.
I do not want to do it in my driveway. :D

I just do not get the ~ $200 Spring commissioning.

Patofnaud 09-25-2020 09:55 AM

For my older 2 stroke, 2 cyl Kawasaki,,,

Run the engine on the trailer while pouring pink antifreeze through the cooling system until it ran out the exhaust.

Pull plugs and fog the engine. Replace plugs hand tight.

Disconnect battery. Put the battery in the garage on trickle.

About 45 min works.

In spring, reverse procedure.

"I just do not get the ~ $200 Spring commissioning."

I agree, $200 to see if it starts and charge battery if needed, is a bit much. I think a lot of marinas use that as a cash cow..

LIforrelaxin 09-25-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patofnaud (Post 344113)
I agree, $200 to see if it starts and charge battery if needed, is a bit much. I think a lot of marinas use that as a cash cow..

That is exactly what is going on.... and it is a cash cow, for the Marina's....

While I enjoy paying the money for winterization, because the Marina is taking the liability of winterizing it correctly. I have never payed for the spring commissioning.. In fact when a marina starts pulling that game I go elsewhere.. The guys that take care of my boat currently, include spring start up in the winterization and storage fees. The nice part when it comes to my boat, is that they take it from and deliver it to my dock, and it gets a tune up if needed in the spring... Yes of course I pay for the tune-up.... But they only do it if she starts up grumpy which happens every 2 or 3 years...

JADAQ 09-25-2020 11:41 AM

I do this on the side and charge far less than marinas and HK

Please send me a message if you need anything, oil/filter/ winterization and shrink!!

Also I’m mobile

MotorHead 09-25-2020 01:06 PM

Sorry, too late for this year.

May I suggest you notify the forum sometime mid March.

webmaster 09-29-2020 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 344122)
Please send me a message if you need anything, oil/filter/ winterization and shrink!!

JADAQ, please update your email address on the forum. All messages and notifications are bouncing back to me.

TiltonBB 10-05-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 344122)
I do this on the side and charge far less than marinas and HK

Also I’m mobile

Do you have business liability insurance? In case of an error that resulted in something like a cracked block or other problems the vessel owner would be looking for coverage.

jetskier 10-05-2020 09:05 PM

Additionally

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patofnaud (Post 344113)
For my older 2 stroke, 2 cyl Kawasaki,,,

Run the engine on the trailer while pouring pink antifreeze through the cooling system until it ran out the exhaust.

Pull plugs and fog the engine. Replace plugs hand tight.

Disconnect battery. Put the battery in the garage on trickle.

About 45 min works.

In spring, reverse procedure.

"I just do not get the ~ $200 Spring commissioning."

Additionally, it is prudent to put stablizer in the gas and run that through the system. I use Seafoam.

Personally, I don't fog the engine. I do clean the jetski and wax it before I put it away. Note that you only have to flush the engine with propylene glycol (pink stuff) if it is an open cooling system. That really only applies to the older 2 strokes. The 4 strokes are generally closed loop. I put the battery on a trickle charger for the winter (also mentioned previously)

In the spring, check the fluids (oil & antifreeze - if closed loop)...change the plugs on a 2 stroke, test the battery, reinstall the battery. You should also check the pressure in the trailer tires in the spring and check the lights.

Fall takes about 90 minutes per jetski with all the cleaning. Spring takes about 60 minutes per jetski.

Just my 2 cents.
Jetskier