Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Stones for Driveway Recommendation (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23395)

Jersey Guy 06-09-2018 11:06 AM

Stones for Driveway Recommendation

Hi, we're looking to put down loose stones in our Moutlonborough driveway and need a contractor, time is of the essence as our daughter is getting married on June 30th at the Castle in the Clouds, and we want everything to look nice, any recommendations? Thanks!

DesertDweller 06-09-2018 11:42 AM

I realize gravel/stone looks nicer but would recommend ledge pack unless you want to keep adding/raking stone after each winter.

In terms of a contractor, call John Schlemmer at 603-455-8346. He did my driveway and is very good. My driveway was a complete disaster before he worked on it. He's in Moultonborough as well.

Jeff

Descant 06-09-2018 01:44 PM

Nit-Pack

My local (Merrmack) supplier calls it "Nit-Pack". About 3/4" granite mixed with stone dust (decomposed granite). My landscaper installed it with a Bobcat. It packs well with rain and driving. Depending on snow/ice conditions the plow doesn't tear it up much. I re-dress it every five years or so to keep it looking fresh. The supplier sells, mulch, gravel, loam etc as his only business, so it is not a garden center selling a bit here and there as a sideline. It may have a different name in Moultonborough.

twasz 06-23-2018 09:28 AM

Meredith supplier

Recommendations for places that could deliver ~4 yds of ledge pack/nit-pack? Thnks

FlyingScot 06-24-2018 08:23 AM

Impervious surface?

If you're on the water and you're doing the job yourself, check the rules on impervious surfaces. There are limits in order to minimize phosphorous run off into the lake (it clouds the water). I do not know which surfaces are classified which way, though Nit Pack sounds impervious. If you increase your impervious surface area, you may run afoul of the rules, and you may be fouling your lakefront.

winni83 06-24-2018 02:21 PM

I think it depends on what the driveway surface is now, assuming it complied when installed. See the NH DES FAQ under impervious surfaces; link below. When we did our house I was surprised to learn that pavement and gravel or stone are all considered impervious.

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...s/faq.htm#faq7

SAB1 06-24-2018 06:43 PM

Like above, if your driveway gets plowed in the winter don't use stone. You will be sorry.

Rusty 06-24-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Guy (Post 295740)
Hi, we're looking to put down loose stones in our Moutlonborough driveway and need a contractor, time is of the essence as our daughter is getting married on June 30th at the Castle in the Clouds, and we want everything to look nice, any recommendations? Thanks!

I really don't think your wedding guests will care how good your driveway looks.
At the end of the day the only thing that really matters is that your daughter enjoys her wedding, family, and friends.

Biggd 06-25-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

If you have open bar everything will eventually look nice. :D

djwade4 06-25-2018 06:08 AM

Quote:

You don’t have much time. Fine a local gravel stone company. Have them tell you what you want. I would recommend ledge pack. Then you will probably have to spread it your self. Most contractors are booked. Doug
603-770-3677

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

BroadHopper 06-25-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 296571)
If you have open bar everything will eventually look nice. :D

Excellent idea! Open bar on the new driveway and the stone dust will pat down nicely! :rolleye2:

Descant 06-26-2018 09:21 PM

OK, Jersey Guy, wedding is getting close, what did you decide? BTW, this is a close knot forum. You are required to post a couple of wedding pix of the bride, groom and driveway. There are bonus points for a pic of the bride spreading the gravel herself. (driving the backhoe counts). Best wishes to the newlyweds and all the family.

Jersey Guy 07-08-2018 10:44 AM

Driveway and a Wedding

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Thank you all for the recommendations and advice! We wound up going with Dolbier Landscaping who did a ledge pack layer, Belgium blocks border and plantings, we were pleased with their work. The June 30th tented wedding at the Castle was beyond expectation, weather was perfect, and the setting was amazing. Final guests just left yesterday. Attaching a couple pictures of the driveway and my daughter and new son in law. The Castle also posted about 6 pictures (see the tented wedding) on their Facebook page. Thanks again everyone!
Mike

Biggd 07-08-2018 06:33 PM

Congrats, the yard and the bride look beautiful.

The Real BigGuy 07-09-2018 07:34 AM

Congrats! (And the son-in-law ain’t bad either!)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 07-09-2018 09:58 AM

Nice driveway job and beautiful Bride! Congrats!