Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Owner of Canoe opening a restaurant in Wolfeboro's??? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18145)

Barbara 08-26-2014 11:37 AM

Owner of Canoe opening a restaurant in Wolfeboro's???

I have heard a rumor about this. Anyone else hear anything?

beaner 08-26-2014 01:04 PM

Haven't heard that rumor yet. But if it's true, I sure hope it's more like his other restaurant, "O", than Canoe!

camp guy 08-26-2014 03:12 PM

Owner of Canoe opening a restaurant in Wolfeboro

Another restaurant wouldn't hurt, especially if it was relatively "family friendly" and priced as such. It is expensive to eat out in Wolfeboro. What would be really helpful would be for someone to buy the Allen A motel and fix it up with rooms in the $100.00 to $150.00 range with the appropriate amenities.

Just a thought.

Shreddy 08-26-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 232073)
Another restaurant wouldn't hurt, especially if it was relatively "family friendly" and priced as such. It is expensive to eat out in Wolfeboro. What would be really helpful would be for someone to buy the Allen A motel and fix it up with rooms in the $100.00 to $150.00 range with the appropriate amenities.

Just a thought.

Don't take this as a stab, but REALLY? Invest a bunch of money to rennovate a place and then charge far below market value? How are they ever suppose to recoup costs, pay regular expenses, stay afloat? Forgive me, but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for whether it be food or hospitality. Just my $.02 :D

tis 08-26-2014 06:44 PM

Camp Guy, do you remember when they had a restaurant for a while at the Allen A Motel? It was really good.

Patiently Watching 08-26-2014 08:39 PM

I have heard this too and am very excited.
According to what I was told, he/they are leasing the dining room and barn at the Inn on Main....
Wolfeboro is currently lacking for options.

Lakepilot 08-27-2014 06:24 AM

The Lake Motel added a large number of new rooms just about the time Mitt might have won. I don't know if they ever opened those rooms but it added to the inventory in town.

My favorite Wolfeboro restaurant was Edwards. Sure wish that was back.

tis 08-27-2014 06:29 AM

I loved Edward's too!

If that is true and they rent the barn will that be for special functions I wonder, or if not, they are planning on serving an awful lot of dinners! That barn is big!

Barbara 08-27-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 232098)
I have heard this too and am very excited.
According to what I was told, he/they are leasing the dining room and barn at the Inn on Main....
Wolfeboro is currently lacking for options.

That's the same rumor I heard. Maybe there' something to it.

Chaselady 08-27-2014 07:05 AM

If it turns out I can get Lobster Mac and Cheese in Wolfeboro, I'm doomed.

BroadHopper 08-27-2014 08:40 AM

Penguin

I remember a restaurant and lounge near the Allen A resort called the Penguin. Can't recall if the building is still there.

They had some pretty wild Saturday nights with local bands.

winnisummergal 08-27-2014 10:33 AM

you can

Garwoods had it as a special while I was there. It was great!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaselady (Post 232113)
If it turns out I can get Lobster Mac and Cheese in Wolfeboro, I'm doomed.

patman 08-27-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreddy (Post 232082)
Don't take this as a stab, but REALLY? Invest a bunch of money to rennovate a place and then charge far below market value? How are they ever suppose to recoup costs, pay regular expenses, stay afloat?

Take a look at Berry Pond Motel in M'boro sometime. That has perked up quite nicely over the past 5 years or so. Evolution not revolution is the key there I think.

Then again, Pine View in T'boro went the opposite direction. They started with 6-8 rooms, then expanded the restaurant and went to 4, then expanded the food again and went to 2, then added the convenience store...and now they have no rooms. Still...evolution not revolution.

Patiently Watching 08-28-2014 12:10 AM

With regard to the property currently known as the 'Inn on Main' the barn is only allowed to be used for special events and not a la carte dining which was how it was allowed to be added to this 'grandfathered, non-conforming use' property.
The neighbors are pretty good about making sure the town enforces the rules, so my guess is that only the dining room will be for regular dining.

tis 08-28-2014 07:09 AM

You are exactly right about the barn. That is why I was wondering-will they try for a change of use? I don't think they will get it if they do. As you said, the neighbors hate the loud music late at night and there were huge fights for years. I just wonder how they can justify renting the barn, will they get enough functions to make it worthwhile?

Tackleman 08-28-2014 10:10 AM

canoe

I heard that they are opening in Bedford NH

EllyPoinster 08-28-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleman (Post 232201)
I heard that they are opening in Bedford NH

From NH Magazine Cuisine E-Buzz:

"The new Canoe in Bedford is expected to open in October. Chef/owner Scott Ouellette is combining the concepts of his O Restaurant and his Center Harbor Canoe at the former location of Bugaboo Creek near Target and Lowe's."

SIKSUKR 08-28-2014 12:53 PM

That surprises me on going to that location. Since that whole parcel was built, not much has prospered there. I live real close so I will give it a try.

EllyPoinster 08-29-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 232221)
That surprises me on going to that location. Since that whole parcel was built, not much has prospered there. I live real close so I will give it a try.

I don't think the parcel has anything to do with it. For example, also in Bedford, when Shorty's scaled back and closed the restaurant on Route 101, two subsequent Mexican places opened and failed at the location. Shorty's then re-opened in the same spot a few years ago and appear to be doing well based on the crowds I see inside and the filled parking lot outside.

I went to Bugaboo Creek once and quickly decided that the Outback down the street was a better option.

RockSkipper 09-01-2014 03:54 PM

out of touch

Quote:

Why are people so out of touch with the world today? Just because we live in NH and away from the cities does not mean that the regular price fluctuations don't affect us as well. I remember when gas was less than a $1/gal and I'm not even 40 yet. That doesn't mean I go in to the local gas stations and rip them a new one for charging $3.50 ++/gal. Same thing goes for Motels/Hotels/Inns/& Restaurants. You want to pay $100 bucks, then don't expect much more than a bed. You want a burger under $10, then go to McDonalds. These business need to make a living, let them.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Rusty 09-01-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockSkipper (Post 232466)
Why are people so out of touch with the world today? Just because we live in NH and away from the cities does not mean that the regular price fluctuations don't affect us as well. I remember when gas was less than a $1/gal and I'm not even 40 yet. That doesn't mean I go in to the local gas stations and rip them a new one for charging $3.50 ++/gal. Same thing goes for Motels/Hotels/Inns/& Restaurants. You want to pay $100 bucks, then don't expect much more than a bed. You want a burger under $10, then go to McDonalds. These business need to make a living, let them.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you lived in Wolfeboro you might have a different opinion...Maybe.

I'm sure if McDonalds was allowed in Wolfeboro they wouldn't have trouble getting customers.