Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   landscaper issue, looking for opinion. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27078)

sky's 06-05-2021 08:01 AM

landscaper issue, looking for opinion.

this seems extremely silly and childish however its came to a boiling point. the landscaper that has been cutting and maintaing our property here in Moultonborough complains about dog poop in the backyard. so my wife every Thursday morning before they arrive goes out to scoop the poop. is it possible we may miss an area sure but in all honesty we have a beautiful house and nice property and we do our best to keep it looking that way. so yesterday one of his workers said there was like 5-10 piles in the backyard which i find to be a total lie and that he had to wash off the tires and there going to charge me more because of this. I find it all to totally false and the negativity that we have been getting is not right i could see if the yard was covered with poop but thats not the case. just curious how other folks would handle this??? thanks for the input :)

ApS 06-05-2021 08:22 AM

Times Are Changing...

At my winter home, the garbage collector won't pick up a neighbor's garbage because it smells of (two large-ish) dog poop.

My three small dogs' backyard poop got a power-rinse every afternoon.

Twenty-five years later, it's like I lived in a different Time. :look:

FlyingScot 06-05-2021 08:36 AM

I think you may misunderstand the landscaper. He may be telling you he has no interest in continuing to mow your lawn because of the dog poop. He may think his crew is already working at 110% over the summer months, and he doesn't need any extra headache.

I'm not opining on whether he's being reasonable, only that you might keep in mind that his bargaining position may be stronger than yours, and you might consider that being more diligent on the dog poop is easier than finding a new landscaper.

MeredithMan 06-05-2021 08:39 AM

Reverse Landscaper Photo Trick...

...Each time my landscape company comes to cut the lawn, one of their crew takes pix of the freshly cut and cleaned yard. I'm guessing they do that so that if I were to call and complain about something, they have pix to protect themselves. (I have also had furniture delivery people do that, by the way, too).

So....after you clean up the dog poop the day before or the day of your mowing, take a few pix to prove that the yard is clean. Then, when your guy states that there's sh** everywhere, you have your photo evidence otherwise.

TheTimeTraveler 06-05-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky's (Post 356617)
this seems extremely silly and childish however its came to a boiling point. the landscaper that has been cutting and maintaing our property here in Moultonborough complains about dog poop in the backyard. so my wife every Thursday morning before they arrive goes out to scoop the poop. is it possible we may miss an area sure but in all honesty we have a beautiful house and nice property and we do our best to keep it looking that way. so yesterday one of his workers said there was like 5-10 piles in the backyard which i find to be a total lie and that he had to wash off the tires and there going to charge me more because of this. I find it all to totally false and the negativity that we have been getting is not right i could see if the yard was covered with poop but thats not the case. just curious how other folks would handle this??? thanks for the input :)

Well you could terminate him, but then you're stuck with the issue of trying to replace him. Good luck with that as long as Uncle Sam wants to pay folks to stay on their couches and collect........

WinnisquamZ 06-05-2021 11:49 AM

I use to tip the workers every other week to avoid this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 06-05-2021 11:51 AM

If not too much extra, I'd pay it while looking for replacement landscapers.

Alternative two is to kick them to the curb and take care of business yourself until you find a replacement.

In either case, I wouldn't be working with this place very long. Unless you've got a couple Great Danes, puppers can't be making that much of a mess... especially if your wife is picking much/all of it up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

gillygirl 06-05-2021 12:53 PM

Just pick it up every day.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 06-05-2021 01:08 PM

Thankfully my dog likes to poop in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sue Doe-Nym 06-05-2021 01:33 PM

This is a really crappy thread!

gillygirl 06-05-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 356646)
This is a really crappy thread!

Sh*t happens.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheProfessor 06-05-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 356636)
I use to tip the workers every other week to avoid this situation
]

Bingo !

I tip most all contractors and delivery folks. Funny, but I have never had any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQPIgm2FpU0

Poor Richard 06-05-2021 04:09 PM

Buncha lightweights! Running over poop is part of the job!

8gv 06-05-2021 04:25 PM

The landscaper likely has a keen knowledge of the tight labor market. His crew could leave tomorrow to work at another company. He is trying to reduce aggravation for them with the intent to retain them.

While the piles described may be exaggerated, there is still some poop. They are cutting the lawn because it is tall enough to do so. Picking it up the day before the cutting means that the poop patrol is happening with tall grass and success is least likely.

As suggested above, daily poop pick up might help. I would also consider a cordial conversation with the parties concerned.

If an alternative landscape company can be found be sure to ask about poop in the interview. You may discover that you are already with the right company.

garysanfran 06-05-2021 04:57 PM

Your landscaper works for you. You don't work for him. Your relationship has soured. Yet, he is holding you hostage?

Slickcraft 06-05-2021 05:07 PM

If they have otherwise been doing a good job:

Explain that you appreciate their overall work. Then explain that you do your best to clean up. Then offer them a bit extra to check for #$% prior to mowing or to clean up after. If they have a positive response then good. If a negative response, time to move on.

Alan

swnoel 06-06-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky's (Post 356617)

Let me get this right... you're upset at them because they've asked you to pick up your dogs crap? I guess I'd be more concerned you don't ...

bruinsfan 06-06-2021 07:16 AM

Pick up your dog crap. It’s disgusting.

I’m sure you’d make sure there’s no poop if you were having friends or family over.

Get over yourself and be a decent human.

camp guy 06-06-2021 08:10 AM

landscape issue

Say, sky's, maybe you could engage Epic Seaplane to do a fly-over and pinpoint the location of the poop so you can be sure and clean it all up.

Newbiesaukee 06-06-2021 08:23 AM

Or, get a different dog. Mine is pad trained and never has to go out. But, she only weighs 4#. There are real limits to this method.

sky's 06-06-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 356684)
Let me get this right... you're upset at them because they've asked you to pick up your dogs crap? I guess I'd be more concerned you don't ...

it is picked up every day and espicailly the morning before they cut if you saw my property you would see we dont live like pigs.

ITD 06-06-2021 12:03 PM

Well, this really stinks.

Sue Doe-Nym 06-06-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 356701)
Well, this really stinks.

Not only stinks, but very hard to handle this! 🙄

ITD 06-06-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 356703)
Not only stinks, but very hard to handle this! 🙄

It sounds like it hasn't hit the fan yet, but it's close.

sky's 06-06-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 356705)
It sounds like it hasn't hit the fan yet, but it's close.

Love the humor we all need some thanks everybody for the advice. Best to all.

Descant 06-06-2021 05:01 PM

My landscaper of many years has never mentioned the dog, except to say he's reluctant to put a lot of chemicals on the grass because of the dog. Sticks, leaves, grass, dog poop, whatever, all gets picked up mechanically and goes someplace to be composted. We tip, usually, at the conclusion of a major job (hardscape projects, drain and clean the fish pond, etc) a few times a season.

sky's 06-07-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 356711)
My landscaper of many years has never mentioned the dog, except to say he's reluctant to put a lot of chemicals on the grass because of the dog. Sticks, leaves, grass, dog poop, whatever, all gets picked up mechanically and goes someplace to be composted. We tip, usually, at the conclusion of a major job (hardscape projects, drain and clean the fish pond, etc) a few times a season.

We normally tip as well this issue has gotten so blown out of proportion for personall reasons that I won't get into. All good summer is here best to all