Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Steak(??) (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27064)

dpg 06-01-2021 12:58 PM

Steak(??)

Where's a good steak place to go to from Moultonborough? I know about the Woodshed but would prefer to not have to re-finance the house for a group of about 5. :D Got a strictly "steak and potato" person I want to get out some weekend when they are up... Thanks...

Biggd 06-01-2021 01:02 PM

O's in Laconia is the best steak in the lakes region.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 06-01-2021 01:06 PM

Agree. O’s does have the best steak in the area. But, as said. Not cheap. The best never is. Must say the lone steak on Largo’s menu is very good. Give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 06-01-2021 01:33 PM

Maintaining price discipline--I would do the steak tips at Buckey's

VitaBene 06-01-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 356397)
Maintaining price discipline--I would do the steak tips at Buckey's

They are very good- sourced at Dom's in Mass.

With the hacking of the major meatpacker's network, meat costs may spiral! Buy soon!

8gv 06-01-2021 05:09 PM

O…

O…

Then O

joey2665 06-01-2021 06:08 PM

“O” absolutely. Canoe does also, obviously same owners but O has more steak cut choices

GTO 06-01-2021 06:47 PM

Perfect

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 356394)
Where's a good steak place to go to from Moultonborough? I know about the Woodshed but would prefer to not have to re-finance the house for a group of about 5. :D Got a strictly "steak and potato" person I want to get out some weekend when they are up... Thanks...

I’m a steak and potato man too. I always like the homestead on 104 in Bristol. Not sure of their prices right now but have always got a good filet. If you want to cook on the grille, we have always had good luck at Hannafords in Meredith

GTO 06-01-2021 06:58 PM

Perfect

Quote:

I’m a steak and potato man too. I always like the homestead on 104 in Bristol. Not sure of their prices right now but have always got a good filet. If you want to cook on the grille, we have always had good luck at Hannafords in Meredith

Little Bear 06-01-2021 07:02 PM

Ledgewater Steakhouse in Bristol

A bit of a ride, but well worth it for an excellent steak with a great sunset view of Newfound Lake.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...2283365852260/

Loub52 06-01-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

For Moultonborough, aside from The New Woodshed, The Country Kitchen or The Bob House are good options too

dpg 06-02-2021 01:50 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions we actually went to Buckeys this past Saturday and our "steak eater" actually wasn't impressed with their Tips. It never even occurred to me at the time but on the short drive home it was mentioned the waitress never even asked how he wanted them cooked, they were a bit over... I got ribs and they were actually excellent... 45 minute wait though which seemed excessive and they were not overly busy. Their very hit or miss there.

thinkxingu 06-02-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 356436)
Thanks all for the suggestions we actually went to Buckeys this past Saturday and our "steak eater" actually wasn't impressed with their Tips. It never even occurred to me at the time but on the short drive home it was mentioned the waitress never even asked how he wanted them cooked, they were a bit over... I got ribs and they were actually excellent... 45 minute wait though which seemed excessive and they were not overly busy. Their very hit or miss there.

Hit-or-miss is the perfect description for Buckey's. I've had absolutely amazing steak tips there a couple times and absolutely horrible ribs and tips there are a few times. It's never cheap, though!

As for the ribs, both times I've gotten them they've been "not-real" BBQ, meaning that they were crazy sauced up to the point that I couldn't actually taste the rib.

It's enough of a drive and crapshoot to prevent us going there.

FlyingScot 06-02-2021 03:42 PM

Ugh, sadness. Thanks for the report, I will not recommend them again. (At least until I forget this thread and become nostalgic...)

CooperS7777 06-02-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 356406)
A bit of a ride, but well worth it for an excellent steak with a great sunset view of Newfound Lake.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...2283365852260/

Ledge Water is amazing, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as budget friendly!

gillygirl 06-03-2021 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 356436)

They have been having trouble getting help for years. Probably why the wait was so long.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Little Bear 06-03-2021 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 356476)
Ledge Water is amazing, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as budget friendly!

It may not be “budget friendly”, but it’s certainly “belly friendly”! :liplick:

Biggd 06-03-2021 10:59 AM

I heard so many good reviews on the place so I took my wife there for our anniversary two years ago. Very dissapointed in the service and the meal, I won't be going back.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 356476)

rsmlp 06-04-2021 05:54 AM

steak dinner

Here's an idea; buy your steak at Jojo's, the best butcher in "The Boro" and grill it yourself. Affordable and delicious!

technically Jojo's isn't a butcher but it def has the best meat around.

thinkxingu 06-04-2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 356544)
Here's an idea; buy your steak at Jojo's, the best butcher in "The Boro" and grill it yourself. Affordable and delicious!

technically Jojo's isn't a butcher but it def has the best meat around.

That's good to know—we love their subs, but we've never tried their meats. Thanks!

camp guy 06-04-2021 08:06 AM

Steak??

If anyone is thinking of buying their own steak and doing their own grilling, I suggest visiting the Mill Street Meat Market on (drum roll...) Mill Street in Wolfeboro. They have a wide variety of high-quality meat, and an assortment of condiments to go with the meat. Their steak tips are delicious, and their filets are to die for. The also have chicken and lobster. I will say, they are not the cheapest deal in any town (the best never is), but you can not beat their quality. Mill Street is walkable from the town docks, too.

WinnisquamZ 06-04-2021 09:36 AM

I have had good luck with Wining butcher in Meredith. Expensive. Also, best bang for the buck is BJ’s or Costco. Olive oil and salt/pepper. High heat. 3 minutes each side. MRear

joey2665 06-04-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 356559)
I have had good luck with Wining butcher in Meredith. Expensive. Also, best bang for the buck is BJ’s or Costco. Olive oil and salt/pepper. High heat. 3 minutes each side. MRear

Absolutely agree with all the above except I go to the Wining Butcher in Gilford, lol. That's my method, not fancy just delicious.

dpg 06-04-2021 12:53 PM

Hmmm haven't been to Jojo's in years will need to stop in again.

Sue Doe-Nym 06-04-2021 01:08 PM

Heaths bought JoJos years back , and I have wondered if both stores carry the same quality meat. I suspect not. Does anyone know?

BroadHopper 06-04-2021 02:25 PM

Miles Smith Farm

on 106 in Belmont is the best place to buy meat in the area.
I miss Laconia Provision (they move to Portsmouth), far better meat and prices than the wining butcher.
Those who come up 28 from 93 can stop at Tuckaway Tavern for great steaks! They are always busy and worth the wait!
As for decent, budget steak, there is none that I know of. Hobb's Tavern has limited steaks, very good and reasonable.

WinnisquamZ 06-04-2021 03:06 PM

Damn you. Hobb’s is a hidden gem during the summer months.

TheTimeTraveler 06-04-2021 04:37 PM

Is this where FLL chimes in and says to buy Steaks on the Walmart side of the lake at his famous Walmart store?

Couldn't resist!

FLL; Wishing you a speedy recovery if you are reading this!

Heaven 06-04-2021 05:50 PM

go for the real thing at Top of the Hill Farm

sky's 06-05-2021 07:53 AM

homestead all the way. overall perfect meals every time. last time we went to Woodshed the owner kept refilling wine glasses at a table were "the in" people were sitting with all there bling. came to our table once. Never go back there again.

Biggd 06-05-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky's (Post 356614)
homestead all the way. overall perfect meals every time. last time we went to Woodshed the owner kept refilling wine glasses at a table were "the in" people were sitting with all there bling. came to our table once. Never go back there again.

That's not the owner, he's the manager and he's a suck up to the upper class.

WinnisquamZ 06-05-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky's (Post 356614)

Tip accordingly. Must say, being a regular at a few establishments in the area doesn’t suck

TomF 06-05-2021 11:49 AM

Not near moultonboro but granite steak in Rochester is really good, and downstairs, Smokey’s is low key and great steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janet 06-06-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 356625)
That's not the owner, he's the manager and he's a suck up to the upper class.

Had many issues with the manager at the new Woodshed. Will never return because of his attitude and poor service.

Biggd 06-06-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 356702)
Had many issues with the manager at the new Woodshed. Will never return because of his attitude and poor service.

I've gone twice but I won't be going back either. The place is beautiful but he's an ***!

ACME on the Broads 06-07-2021 05:56 AM

Wood Shed Manager...

Biggd....That's an insult to suck ups, he's the worst!

rsmlp 06-07-2021 06:26 AM

heath's vs jojo's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 356574)
Heaths bought JoJos years back , and I have wondered if both stores carry the same quality meat. I suspect not. Does anyone know?

Yes, Heath's bought Jojo's a few years back but buyers must be independent. Meats WAY higher quality (and price) at Jojo's than Heath. Def worth the trip.

ACME on the Broads 06-07-2021 11:01 AM

FRESH MEATS at JoJo's

For years the butcher at JoJo's was a very nice man named Norm.....he was terrific. Over the last few years, Norm (who retired), was replaced by am equally talented butcher and nice man; his name is Bob and he's fabulous to deal with too.

We ordered six 2" filets this past weekend and 16 burgers (kids and grandkids all arrived)and they are/were the best filets and burgers anywhere!!

Just our first hand opinion, JoJo's filets put the Wood Shed's filet to shame, they're mouthwatering and beyond easy to cut....*Their filets put the Wood Shed's to shame and you won't have to deal with their terrible manager!

hape2da 06-10-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 356702)

Agreed. He is terrible. Will not return.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

JTA 06-10-2021 07:22 PM

Re. JoJos

We have been going there for many years. Yes, the butcher there originally was fabulous. When Heaths bought it they made a genius move. They kept things the same ... so, Jojos is Jojos. Great meats and deli. Super subs.

JTA 06-10-2021 07:28 PM

Re. JoJos

We have been going there for many years. Yes, the butcher there originally was fabulous. When Heaths bought it they made a genius move. They kept things the same ... so, Jojos is Jojos. Great meats and deli. Super subs.

8gv 06-10-2021 09:43 PM

Wifey and I went to O tonight for our anniversary.

It was a 10/10 as it always is.

The steak was perfect!