Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   On Golden Pond (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16218)

SunsetPointWentworth 07-27-2013 07:48 PM

On Golden Pond

Are the owners of the cottage from 'On Golden Pond' members on this site? If you are and you read this, can you tell us any interesting tidbits about the property? I love this scene when they are opening up the cottage for the summer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q8T1VxZoT6s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HUH 07-30-2013 06:30 PM

Believe it or not the cabin and all the surroundings were actually filmed on a mock up of a new hampshire cabin just outside Ho Chi Minn city:D

gator8 07-31-2013 02:20 PM

On Golden Pond

I thought I saw it for rent a few years ago. Would have been an interesting vacation for any OGP fans.

tis 07-31-2013 03:05 PM

Well, since nobody has replied, I will tell you a little. The house needed to be all redone for the movie. The deal was that they would put it back exactly as it was after the movie was done. However, when the movie was done, the people decided to keep it as it was. What has happened since, I don't know. We were invited to come watch the filming, but being too busy, we didn't go. I have regretted it ever since.

MAXUM 07-31-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 209268)
Well, since nobody has replied, I will tell you a little. The house needed to be all redone for the movie. The deal was that they would put it back exactly as it was after the movie was done. However, when the movie was done, the people decided to keep it as it was. What has happened since, I don't know. We were invited to come watch the filming, but being too busy, we didn't go. I have regretted it ever since.

Huh never would have figured that, I mean isn't the point to film the movie in for real "cottage" not something that's has to be built to look the part. I find it hard to believe they couldn't find the quintessential place to film. Guess you can't take a movie set at face value. Don't blame the owners for leaving it as is, the place really had a great old time look inside.

Legionnaire70 07-31-2013 04:59 PM

What town is the cottage in?

That has to be one of my all time favorite movies...

Winnisquamguy 08-01-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 (Post 209273)
What town is the cottage in?

That has to be one of my all time favorite movies...

I believe its in Sandwich.

tis 08-01-2013 06:35 AM

I can't exactly remember where it is. I know you go up a long hill, like maybe by Center Harbor (?) to get there and I can still picture the yard in my mind. Wish I could remember more.

SIKSUKR 08-01-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 209270)
Huh never would have figured that, I mean isn't the point to film the movie in for real "cottage" not something that's has to be built to look the part. I find it hard to believe they couldn't find the quintessential place to film. Guess you can't take a movie set at face value. Don't blame the owners for leaving it as is, the place really had a great old time look inside.

Pretty sure the old time look was already there.The director wanted a second story for the balcony.That was added for the movie and the owner liked it so it didn't have to be returned to its original state.
Here is a really cool video made by a couple visiting to see the movie location.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/12973121" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

wifi 08-01-2013 08:04 AM

They stated a 968 phone number or I saw it on the dial, that would place it in the Holderness side of the lake.

Pineedles 08-01-2013 08:28 AM

I believe the owner's name was Twombly. Friends of our family rented the cottage many years before On Golden Pond was made.

KonaChick 08-01-2013 09:51 AM

Wonderful video! Was she "borrowing" some rocks she found near the shoreline of the house?? :laugh:

CateP 08-01-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaChick (Post 209313)
Was she "borrowing" some rocks she found near the shoreline of the house?? :laugh:

I noticed that too and thought....

...if everyone did that...

(Gosh-I have become my parents)

SunsetPointWentworth 08-01-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gator8 (Post 209261)
I thought I saw it for rent a few years ago. Would have been an interesting vacation for any OGP fans.

I googled "rent golden pond house" after i saw your post. You're right, it's for rent. Or at least it was in 2011.
http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/resi...-united-states

"""There are still a number of weeks available for The House on Golden Pond" on Squam Lake in New Hampshire, USA. This famed waterfront cottage is available for rent during June and the latter part of August 2011. The weekly rental is $3500 per week and all deposits, plus state rooms and meal taxes will apply. This is a truly idyllic spot! Please call for the details - Lisa Wardlaw 603-253-9293 or email at wardlawl@nhecwb.com"""

A bit pricey, but for a once in a lifetime occasion, like a honeymoon, I guess it would be worth it.

Siksukr. What a great video. I came home from work and that hit the spot. Instant relaxation!

Gearhead 08-02-2013 07:17 AM

The camp belonged to my friend Dennis' grandfather (or something like that). He went there a couple of times to watch the filming and he mentioned the modified boat with scuba divers under it controlling its position.

He said that the owner of the boat was a Vietnam vet and refused to allow Jane to set foot in it. I didn't see the movie so I don't know the outcome! I should probably rent it (the movie, not the camp) so I can see all the local color.

GH

pjard 11-29-2014 09:19 AM

What is the address of this house? Does anyone know. I'm not being a tourist, but a friend of mine is considering renting it and asked me to drive by.

jeffatsquam 11-29-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 237020)
What is the address of this house? Does anyone know. I'm not being a tourist, but a friend of mine is considering renting it and asked me to drive by.

The camp is off a private road I don't think anybody would have a problem with you being there, but you can't see the camp from the road. You have to cross a short causeway at which point you would be trespassing.

topwater 11-29-2014 12:18 PM

Did you notice that it was a person in a KAYAK that was harassing the loon until it went under to escape. Happens way to much.

pjard 11-09-2015 06:45 PM

Very old post but all I could find. I had the same question from some friends of mine in Phoenix. They might like to rent the place for a week and selfishly I would LOVE to have them rent it! I don't really care to drive by but would like to at least take a look on Google Earth (maps). Does anyone know the road it is on?

radioman 12-06-2015 12:12 PM

Golden Pond Cottage

The Cottage is located on Squam Lake in Center Harbor NH. Someone posted correctly, the cottage cannot be seen from the main road as this is a private drive. The main road that I was referring to is Center Harbor Neck Rd.