Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Transport question on steep lot (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6091)

2Blackdogs 05-27-2008 07:50 AM

Transport question on steep lot

My new steep lot has me looking for some way to carry household goods, boating supplies, firewood, and yard trimmings up and down it. It's less than a 200' trip up. I'm wondering if a tippy ATV is the answer or would a golf cart would do it? There's some soil to cross, so I might have to nix the idea of a $1200 2006 snomobile at a local car dealership, for my brief excursions.

Onshore 05-27-2008 07:59 AM

There are several examples of creative solutions to this problem on the Broads side of Rattlesnake Island.

eyenotall777 05-28-2008 03:53 PM

Examples?

Can anyone give examples as I will not be able to get out that way for a few weeks to take a look. I'd be interested in their solutions as we are dealing w/ the same issue.

Thanks

Rattlesnake Guy 05-28-2008 10:51 PM

The typical rattlesnake transport solution involves a wooden structure not unlike the cog railway. About 3 feet wide and wooden rails of various styles. A wheeled cart rides up the wooden structure and is pulled by a winch scheme from the top. Ideally the drop off might be right at your deck for easy unloading.

Will take a few pics this weekend if that helps.

Chris Craft 05-30-2008 08:50 AM

Find some one selling a Toro Twister. They are amazing at what they can haul and what grades they can run. Not the cheapest thing in the world but man can they work!!

Rose 05-30-2008 10:17 AM

Yarder

How about a homemade yarder?

I think I've watched too much "Ax Men"

GoSnow 05-30-2008 02:40 PM

I am on the Broads side of Rattlesnake & I have a winch system that was designed by my neighbor. There's a cart on a track that goes up & down the hill being pulled by a winch. The winch has a low speed for heavy loads as well as a high speed. It works awesome!!!

Rattlesnake Gal 06-02-2008 07:06 PM

Rattlesnake Island Winch Slide Systems

Some Rattlesnake Islanders instituted a little Yankee ingenuity to transport items up to their cottages.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...ides_final.jpg

Click here for supersized photo
(I tried very hard to not draw any attention to the cottages themselves, only the slide. Hopefully no one will have issue with me!)

Lakegeezer 06-02-2008 07:36 PM

Great shot RG. There is sure a lot of steep going up the island!

steadyon 06-04-2008 07:32 AM

are those considered impervious surface?:rolleye2:

wow that is steep!

luckypete 06-04-2008 01:21 PM

Contractors

Does anyone know of a contractor who has constructed these sort of lifts? I may need one in the future.

Rattlesnake Guy 06-04-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyon (Post 71959)
are those considered impervious surface?:rolleye2:

wow that is steep!

The island is the remnants of a huge volcano that was ground off by the glaciers that formed the lake. I swear our lot is nearly as tall as it is deep. Needless to say, high lake levels are only a problem for the dock.

HUH 06-05-2008 08:34 AM

A tram

http://www.lakeshoretram.com/

Webbsatwinni 06-05-2008 01:54 PM

HUH, I got excited that I may not have to build this myself after you posted that link. I just called lake shore trams to get an estimate and they quoted me $45k for an installed tram, I guess I will start hauling wood to the island and building one myself.

HUH 06-05-2008 03:54 PM

Liability

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni (Post 72075)
HUH, I got excited that I may not have to build this myself after you posted that link. I just called lake shore trams to get an estimate and they quoted me $45k for an installed tram, I guess I will start hauling wood to the island and building one myself.

Had no idea they cost that much, just saved the link as we were looking at some property with a 100 foot drop to the lake.
They could be pricey due to the liability any manufacturer has to have to sell people moving equipment. I saw one with a canvas top on the tram as well, im sure it would be a huge labor saver over the years though :D

Formula260SS 06-07-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUH (Post 72077)
Had no idea they cost that much, just saved the link as we were looking at some property with a 100 foot drop to the lake.
They could be pricey due to the liability any manufacturer has to have to sell people moving equipment. I saw one with a canvas top on the tram as well, im sure it would be a huge labor saver over the years though :D

You can get a winch for between $1,200.00 to $1,600.00 then the cost of the wood to build the track and any associated labor costs.

If you look close at the pictures the track is easy to build, the biggest concerns are finding the proper winch and having a solid anchor point for it

HUH 06-07-2008 08:04 AM

Safety

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula260SS (Post 72173)
You can get a winch for between $1,200.00 to $1,600.00 then the cost of the wood to build the track and any associated labor costs.

If you look close at the pictures the track is easy to build, the biggest concerns are finding the proper winch and having a solid anchor point for it

All the parts are readily available. However as an osha crane inspector I can assure you the insurance companies and osha highly regulate any device used for the moving or lifting of humans. Some sort of bake or ratchet and pall system should be used. Can you imagine if the cable or hoist were to fail...wheeeeee
:D

Formula260SS 06-08-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUH (Post 72174)
All the parts are readily available. However as an osha crane inspector I can assure you the insurance companies and osha highly regulate any device used for the moving or lifting of humans. Some sort of bake or ratchet and pall system should be used. Can you imagine if the cable or hoist were to fail...wheeeeee
:D

The lifts shown in RG's posts are NOT used for human transportation. And yes we have imagined the ride........weeeeeeeee.........call 911

SAMIAM 06-08-2008 08:16 AM

Why not harness up a couple of goats ?

Formula260SS 06-08-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 72242)
Why not harness up a couple of goats ?

No livestock in the deed on Rattlesnake......I think thats good :eek:

SteveA 06-09-2008 05:48 AM

Another solution

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this would work..:rolleye2:

Attachment 1894

NH Native 06-27-2008 12:28 PM

Rail Wheels

1 Attachment(s)
I ran across this local source (Franklin, NH) for flanged wheels which look like they'd be perfect for this kind of project. They are $195 each. Here's the web site: http://www.railriders.net/index1.html

Good luck with your railroad!