Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jet Skis (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22214)

Chefbill 07-05-2017 02:09 PM

Jet Skis

Hi everyone. First time writing on this forum. First I just want to say how helpful and informative as well as sometimes entertaining it has been reading the threads.
My question is a general rental question. I have my boater's Safety certificate but my children do not. I am told that they can take a quick course and be certified for a 14 day period. When renting a jet ski I am told you have to be 18. Does this mean that 15 and 16 year olds cannot operate a jet ski in lake winnapausaki if they are not 18? In other words can I legally rent a jet ski and let my "certified" 16 yr old operate it? Any advice or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my XT1585 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

codeman671 07-05-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefbill (Post 281239)
Hi everyone. First time writing on this forum. First I just want to say how helpful and informative as well as sometimes entertaining it has been reading the threads.
My question is a general rental question. I have my boater's Safety certificate but my children do not. I am told that they can take a quick course and be certified for a 14 day period. When renting a jet ski I am told you have to be 18. Does this mean that 15 and 16 year olds cannot operate a jet ski in lake winnapausaki if they are not 18? In other words can I legally rent a jet ski and let my "certified" 16 yr old operate it? Any advice or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

15 year olds cannot operate a jet ski legally. A certified 16 year old can legally, but its up to the rental company and the details of their contract if it is allowed. My guess for liability reasons is no.

TiltonBB 07-05-2017 03:09 PM

Lakes Region Jet Ski in the Weirs Channel has a minimum age requirement to operate a jet ski. Their insurance company requires that anyone operating be a minimum of 18 years old.

You have to be 16 to operate anything over 25 horsepower so if you owned the jet ski you could let your 16 year old take it out.

Phantom 07-05-2017 03:12 PM

However -- keep in mind, if YOU are on the jet ski with them, yours qualifies & you are responsible as "captain"

Chefbill 07-05-2017 05:30 PM

Great stuff everyone. Thank you!!

KPW 07-05-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 281245)
Lakes Region Jet Ski in the Weirs Channel has a minimum age requirement to operate a jet ski. Their insurance company requires that anyone operating be a minimum of 18 years old.

You have to be 16 to operate anything over 25 horsepower so if you owned the jet ski you could let your 16 year old take it out.

Even at 16 you still need a boaters certificate to take it out alone.

hd333 07-05-2017 09:14 PM

So I'm good letting my 13 year old drive if I'm on the Sea Doo, and I have my boating license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VitaBene 07-05-2017 11:03 PM

Yes, but they are under your control and are treated as if you are the operator.

Descant 07-06-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd333 (Post 281274)
So I'm good letting my 13 year old drive if I'm on the Sea Doo, and I have my boating license?

You still have to differentiate between "operate" and "Rent" The rental agreement probably does not give you authority to let an underage or un-certified person operate. If you own it, you can make the decision. If you rent, you don't get the choice.