Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Looking for a structural engineer or someone with a lot of framing experience (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26439)

codeman671 10-12-2020 08:13 AM

Looking for a structural engineer or someone with a lot of framing experience

We are looking to cathedral a portion of our island home and would like an opinion on what needs to be done. One opinion was extra collar ties and a few beams to tie the walls together, the other contractor on the job leans towards overkill and wants a structural ridge put in which I don't feel is necessary.

Its a 30 x 40' single level ranch. Someone with a lot of framing experience would be fine with me, but an engineer wouldn't hurt.

Descant 10-12-2020 10:20 AM

When we built our barn (24 x 32) our contractor was a civil engineer. No posts or support walls, one lally column in the basement, and no supports in the loft, all cathedral ceilings, he did a separate consultation with a structural engineer. We ended up with 10" x 12"x 24' beams 4' on center.
You might get good advice from a company that makes trusses and probably has a structural engineer on staff, or at least some good architectural software.

sky's 10-13-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 344985)
We are looking to cathedral a portion of our island home and would like an opinion on what needs to be done. One opinion was extra collar ties and a few beams to tie the walls together, the other contractor on the job leans towards overkill and wants a structural ridge put in which I don't feel is necessary.

Its a 30 x 40' single level ranch. Someone with a lot of framing experience would be fine with me, but an engineer wouldn't hurt.

if youre in moultonboro plan on the "over kill" a structual ridge has benefits one of which is in most cases collar ties aren't necessary. however in Moultonborough our building inspector is by the book and a engineer will be needed

LIforrelaxin 10-13-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 344985)

Exactly how much of the 30' x 40' are you looking to Cathedralize?

If you looking to the entire structure that is one thing, and if you only looking to do a portion that is another. You also need to think about the Pitch you want to have on the roof etc.

I have seen numerous solutions over the years, all of which work.... bottom line is you have to know exactly what you want.... If you like the look of interior trusses that is one thing, if you don't it is another...

Sounds like your two contractors are thinking about the project differently. Specific desires really need to be understood before good advice can be given for something like that.

jeffatsquam 10-14-2020 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I did it at my house

Attachment 16514

Sent from my moto z3 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

codeman671 10-14-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 345083)
Exactly how much of the 30' x 40' are you looking to Cathedralize?

If you looking to the entire structure that is one thing, and if you only looking to do a portion that is another. You also need to think about the Pitch you want to have on the roof etc.

I have seen numerous solutions over the years, all of which work.... bottom line is you have to know exactly what you want.... If you like the look of interior trusses that is one thing, if you don't it is another...

Sounds like your two contractors are thinking about the project differently. Specific desires really need to be understood before good advice can be given for something like that.

The house is 40' wide by 30' deep. We are looking at doing the middle 16', from the front wall to just behind the midline. It is a 4/12 pitch roof, 2x6 ridge board, rafters 16"oc and ceiling joists 16"oc. Some kings in place from the joists to the rafters and some collar ties up high.

I am thinking if we cut out the 13 ceiling joists that span the living room (to be vaulted), replace with 3 new beams/rafter ties front to back in the lower 1/3 of the rafters, collar tie every rafter up high, and use rafter hangers to the ridge board we are probably going overkill. the spans to either side of the open area remain unchanged. Probably similar in appearance to what Jeffatsquam posted above.

camp guy 10-14-2020 09:52 AM

Framing question

In your decision making process, Codeman 671, might I suggest that you, at some point, involved your insurance man, soliciting his thoughts so that you will comply with any issues involving coverage. Appearance from the outside is important, but a 4/12 pitch isn't very steep, so this invites a snow load, unless you always rake your roof.

TownieRinker27 02-06-2024 02:15 PM

I still have the same need now. Can someone recommend me a good engineer?

codeman671 02-06-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TownieRinker27 (Post 391030)
I still have the same need now. Can someone recommend me a good engineer?

We didn't end up with an engineer. Multiple opinions from contractors as well as Bill at Gilford Home Center. We ended up adding a metal roof as well so no snow load to worry about. We definitely went overkill.

John Mercier 02-06-2024 03:50 PM

mroy@lavalleys.com

Mitch is in the engineering department upstairs at Middleton.
We own Gilford Home Center... so they would also contact Mitch.

codeman671 02-06-2024 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 391036)
mroy@lavalleys.com

Mitch is in the engineering department upstairs at Middleton.
We own Gilford Home Center... so they would also contact Mitch.

I was surprised to see them sell. Good crew over there. Almost all of my material from our last 2 projects came from Bill.

John Mercier 02-10-2024 08:51 PM

The business is not as fun as it once was.

shifthappens 02-22-2024 09:36 AM

I had a similar thing happen when I needed to fix my place. Deciding whether to add some support or go all out with a significant change was tricky.