Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Snow cover on the lake? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24170)

Mink Islander 02-07-2019 10:45 AM

Snow cover on the lake?

Any snow cover or has the recent warm temps melted it off again? Trying to figure out whether I can run my sleds on the lake this weekend. Suspect not.

fatlazyless 02-07-2019 11:18 AM

Amazon and eBay have 'winter studded bicycle tires' for a mountain/frozen lake bike. Plus, these large volume tires could maybe keep the bike afloat? Plus, you can always walk a bicycle, and carry stuff in bike saddlebags.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6s1SPar2ao ... Bike on Ice .....7:57/Feb 2016 .... cycling a tandem bicycle on giant Lake Baikal in Russia ... while it does not say, those tires must be winter studded tires for that smooth ice. Looking closely, you can see a straight line of tire travel etched into the smooth ice, which would indicate studded tires here.

What with all the icy cross country ski trails, Waterville Valley has 4" fat tire bikes it rents out for pedaling the cross country ski trails.

Someone needs to invent a tire where you push a button, and the spikes extend out for extra traction, just like a cat's claw, to adjust for changing conditions.

MAXUM 02-07-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 307172)
Any snow cover or has the recent warm temps melted it off again? Trying to figure out whether I can run my sleds on the lake this weekend. Suspect not.

Not looking good for snow cover ice looks bare again everywhere.

Cobalt 02-07-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 307172)

February 6, 2019 Trail Update Moultonboro Snowmobile Club

"While past weekend conditions were excellent, several days of warm temperatures and rain have the trails back to icy conditions and thin on the corners. Snow on the lakes is melted, leaving rough going in commonly traveled areas. With only sleet and freezing drizzle in the forecast, it is unlikely conditions will improve by the weekend."

I missed getting out last weekend, and it looks like we have to wait for the next snow storm.

fatlazyless 02-07-2019 09:11 PM

Would pedaling a bicycle across frozen Lake Winnipesaukee, devoid of snow, be a fun exercise or what! If you already have a mountain bike, just order up the correct size winter studded tires, and take bike and tires to the local bike store to get the summer/winter tires switched around, and you are good to go, out on the ice.

And, unlike a snowmobile, no worries about engine overheating due to no snow on the ice. What a way to travel ..... pedaling the big ice!

loonguy 02-08-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 307196)
Would pedaling a bicycle across frozen Lake Winnipesaukee, devoid of snow, be a fun exercise or what! If you already have a mountain bike, just order up the correct size winter studded tires, and take bike and tires to the local bike store to get the summer/winter tires switched around, and you are good to go, out on the ice.

And, unlike a snowmobile, no worries about engine overheating due to no snow on the ice. What a way to travel ..... pedaling the big ice!

Talk is cheap, Les. Give the ice bike a try and let us know how it really goes.

Mink Islander 02-08-2019 07:01 PM

Ice conditions

Well I walked out today from cattle landing. The lake is puddled with areas of slush. All that is going to freeze overnight making running on snowmobiled less than ideal. The wind really kicked up this PM as forecast. Gusts were strong enough to blow my tip ups out of the hole. Gonna be very windy tomorrow morning but better in the PM and Sunday. Tight lines!

Lakegeezer 02-08-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 307196)

Rode about 6 miles across the bare ice lake years ago with a mountain bike. The trick was to lower the tire pressure to about 10 pounds and it worked great.

loonguy 02-09-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 307254)
Rode about 6 miles across the bare ice lake years ago with a mountain bike. The trick was to lower the tire pressure to about 10 pounds and it worked great.

Once was enough?

Lakegeezer 02-09-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loonguy (Post 307273)
Once was enough?

Tried it again with some snow on the lake and it didn't work as well. Then..... age happened. Not interested in falling off the bike any more.