Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Love me, love my dog (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25000)

Sue Doe-Nym 09-14-2019 10:03 PM

Love me, love my dog

We had a rather unusual situation awhile back, and we’d be interested in forum members’ opinions. We invited some friends over for lunch and a ride on our new-to-us boat. Beautiful day, sunny, warm, not a cloud in the sky, and they arrived.......with their dog, expecting that he’d be welcome aboard, off-white upholstery and all. I was floored! Never imagined in a million years that I would have to qualify the invitation by saying “Two legged animals only!” Are we inhospitable, or just plain nuts? The dog, by the way, was left behind. Believe it or not, I felt guilty, even cruel for denying them their way. In retrospect, it’s annoying to be placed in that situation.

thinkxingu 09-14-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 319595)
We had a rather unusual situation awhile back, and we’d be interested in forum members’ opinions. We invited some friends over for lunch and a ride on our new-to-us boat. Beautiful day, sunny, warm, not a cloud in the sky, and they arrived.......with their dog, expecting that he’d be welcome aboard, off-white upholstery and all. I was floored! Never imagined in a million years that I would have to qualify the invitation by saying “Two legged animals only!” Are we inhospitable, or just plain nuts? The dog, by the way, was left behind. Believe it or not, I felt guilty, even cruel for denying them their way. In retrospect, it’s annoying to be placed in that situation.

You are right: bringing an extra guest--whether human or not--is unacceptable in most circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 09-15-2019 02:48 AM

Where I Stand...

How large was the dog? Was it a dog that could be carried for the duration of the trip? What aspect in the presence of a dog had you concerned? Just the newness of the boat? I'd be concerned about a miniature horse, declared as a "comfort animal", but dogs are "family" in today's world. They're seen in Wolfeboro restaurants without objection.

But even a large dog will stand at the bow, detecting things in our environment we can't imagine--all the while protecting "their people" from harm. (Whether two-legged, four-legged, or no-legged).

They're well known for "holding it" aboard boats. Left behind, they'll bark with "separation anxiety", not improving matters with your neighbors.

Mirroring human behavior, they tend to get overexcited when a fish is caught and brought aboard, so there's that one exception to a dog on board I'd reluctantly make.

To keep passengers from damaging cushions or seating structure, some captains insist on bare feet for all aboard, discriminating against shoe-wearing.

If boat cushions are unable to protect against damage, next time, buy some dog booties, and insist the dog wear them.

rsmlp 09-15-2019 06:26 AM

dog on a boat

We have a 10 lb terrier and are dog friendly. That said, I would never ASSUME that our dog would be welcome on someone else's boat. that they did is simply rude and thoughtless.

SAMIAM 09-15-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 319597)
How large was the dog? Was it a dog that could be carried for the duration of the trip? What aspect in the presence of a dog had you concerned? Just the newness of the boat? I'd be concerned about a miniature horse, declared as a "comfort animal", but dogs are "family" in today's world. They're seen in Wolfeboro restaurants without objection.

But even a large dog will stand at the bow, detecting things in our environment we can't imagine--all the while protecting "their people" from harm. (Whether two-legged, four-legged, or no-legged).

They're well known for "holding it" aboard boats. Left behind, they'll bark with "separation anxiety", not improving matters with your neighbors.

Mirroring human behavior, they tend to get overexcited when a fish is caught and brought aboard, so there's that one exception to a dog on board I'd reluctantly make.

To keep passengers from damaging cushions or seating structure, some captains insist on bare feet for all aboard, discriminating against shoe-wearing.

If boat cushions are unable to protect against damage, next time, buy some dog booties, and insist the dog wear them.

Couldn't agree more. We love dogs. Owned (or been owned) by goldens over the years but wouldn't dream of bringing them to anyones home unannounced. Some people have allergies and others just don't want a dog shedding hair, scratching, drooling and barking in their home, or boat in this case. You were right to lay down the law.

Hillcountry 09-15-2019 07:14 AM

My dog is the queen of our boat!
I would never assume that she would be welcomed on anyone else’s boat or car or home or property.
Yesterday was my granddaughter’s birthday party at my daughters home complete with bounce house, 4 year olds running rampant, the young moms overseeing it all and a muggy, rainy afternoon. My dog, which is welcome there on most visits, stayed happily in my truck, where she is also queen.

Biggd 09-15-2019 07:52 AM

I have a dog but I would never assume she would be welcomed on someone else's boat. That being said, I've been invited on some boats where the owners are so anal about everything that it ruins the whole experience to the point that we never go back out with them.

ishoot308 09-15-2019 07:56 AM

We allow all well behaved dogs on our boat / boats. We simply put towels down to ensure their claws don’t dig into seats.

With that being said, not everyone is the same and one should never assume your dog is allowed at someone’s house or property without asking first. This is simple common sense.

Dan

FlyingScot 09-15-2019 09:31 AM

I'm with you, Sue, They should have asked when you invited them

nhcatrider 09-15-2019 09:45 AM

We never take our lab anywhere without asking the host. That being said, she is one of the sweetest dogs, but can be a bit hyper and does jump a bit.

rick35 09-15-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhcatrider (Post 319607)
We never take our lab anywhere without asking the host. That being said, she is one of the sweetest dogs, but can be a bit hyper and does jump a bit.

Same with our Golden. She is very excitable when people visit and then calms right down and is extremely friendly. But she sheds like crazy and not all people like that. So for that reason she stays home when we go out. Fortunately people who come to visit us generally know and love her too and we always have a lint brush handy for a little de-furring.

Mr. V 09-15-2019 11:56 AM

OP: What if the dog were in fact a bona fide "service animal:" would / should you allow the dog to accompany its owner in that event?

Descant 09-15-2019 12:28 PM

Both

If you have a dog, or know your gusts have a dog, there is some responsibility to discuss everything ahead of time. You ask about who's bringing food, drinks, towels, etc. right? and how long people can last if you don't have a head on board? We love most dogs and most kids, but some need advance planning. You know who you are.

Sue Doe-Nym 09-15-2019 05:24 PM

Thank you all

I really appreciate all the different perspectives....and you reinforced our thoughts about handling uninvited guests aboard the boat. The hosts get to make the rules (politely enforced). BTW, the steamboat parade was great this morning with lots of boats playing to an appreciative audience. Bravo!

Descant 09-15-2019 07:42 PM

Missed it this year. How many stem boats had dogs? Had I been a spectator boat, Daisy would have been on the bow. Her friends, Brandy and Kodiak, more restrained, would sit in the stern.

Music Man 09-18-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 319611)
OP: What if the dog were in fact a bona fide "service animal:" would / should you allow the dog to accompany its owner in that event?

And, furthermore, would you be comfortable with an owner who needs a service animal on board your boat?

thinkxingu 09-19-2019 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Man (Post 319788)
And, furthermore, would you be comfortable with an owner who needs a service animal on board your boat?

I'm confident I would know if anyone I was considering inviting on my boat would have a service dog. That being the case, the issue is moot because I wouldn't be surprised when s/he showed up with fluffy--it would've been part of the invitation process.

Whether or not I would be "comfortable" would depend on the relationship and ability of the person, and rest of the group, to enjoy the outing (safely).

Biggd 09-19-2019 06:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15314She doesn't like the water but she loves the boat rides.

Hillcountry 09-19-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 319611)

A bonafide service dog, yes, it would be allowed. A “support/comfort” kangaroo/weasel/python/bunny/puppy, etc....hmmmm...not so much.

TiltonBB 09-19-2019 08:16 AM

If you ever have mobility trouble or need a support dog take a "Miracle Flight" to Florida.

You will see the people being pushed in a wheelchair go through the fast lane at security and arrive at the gate . They often have their support dog on their lap and go to the head of the line for early boarding. No waiting for them, and it is sad to see they have problems.

Something happens on the "Miracle Flight" because, remarkably, when the plane arrives in Florida they stand up and jog off of the plane. It is amazing to watch!

brk-lnt 09-19-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 319799)
If you ever have mobility trouble or need a support dog take a "Miracle Flight" to Florida.

You will see the people being pushed in a wheelchair go through the fast lane at security and arrive at the gate . They often have their support dog on their lap and go to the head of the line for early boarding. No waiting for them, and it is sad to see they have problems.

Something happens on the "Miracle Flight" because, remarkably, when the plane arrives in Florida they stand up and jog off of the plane. It is amazing to watch!

And many times they have wheelchairs waiting for them at the jetbridge or right inside the terminal.

If they do not get off the plane with the other passengers, then they have to wait for the entire plane to deboard, possibly blocking some other passengers trying to get out.

I wouldn't call these "miracle flights" at all, just flights with people who have trouble getting around and are trying to do their best to manage it.

I fly quite a bit, primarily in and out of TPA. Can't recall too many times I have seen anyone of any age actually "jog" off of a plane, it's usually a herd of slow moving people.

Sue Doe-Nym 09-19-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 319804)
And many times they have wheelchairs waiting for them at the jetbridge or right inside the terminal.

If they do not get off the plane with the other passengers, then they have to wait for the entire plane to deboard, possibly blocking some other passengers trying to get out.

I wouldn't call these "miracle flights" at all, just flights with people who have trouble getting around and are trying to do their best to manage it.

I fly quite a bit, primarily in and out of TPA. Can't recall too many times I have seen anyone of any age actually "jog" off of a plane, it's usually a herd of slow moving people.

This is off topic, but I am reminded of our many round trips to Florida. It is astonishing to me how many pre boards in wheelchairs there are, and now it seems that some people are working the system and using wheel chairs when they don’t need them, and THAT is infuriating because it tends to cast doubt on the legitimacy of those who really need them. There are always a few who need to “get an edge” over the rest of us. Too bad.

rick35 09-19-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 319793)
Attachment 15314She doesn't like the water but she loves the boat rides.

My Golden is the same way. She likes to get up in the bow and is the queen of the world.

brk-lnt 09-19-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 319808)
This is off topic, but I am reminded of our many round trips to Florida. It is astonishing to me how many pre boards in wheelchairs there are, and now it seems that some people are working the system and using wheel chairs when they don’t need them, and THAT is infuriating because it tends to cast doubt on the legitimacy of those who really need them. There are always a few who need to “get an edge” over the rest of us. Too bad.

Doesn't bother me. Seems like a giant pain in the ass way to "work the system" when most of the time for somewhere between $15 and $30 you can pay for priority boarding if you don't already have status. I'd much rather be in the position I am in, able to pay for early boarding if I want it, than having to try and "work the system" and as a result be pushed around in a wheelchair.

If those people feel they are getting some kind of a jump on the rest of us, they can go on believing that for all I care, I am happy to not be part of that mindset.

ApS 09-19-2019 07:31 PM

Sling Carrier as a Gift?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 319830)
My Golden is the same way. She likes to get up in the bow and is the queen of the world.

There are carriers of different kinds that would be a welcome solution; unfortunately, getting the dog to the bow would be difficult. ;)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NgbeTlnk93ZWtA

Sue Doe-Nym 09-20-2019 04:01 PM

Time for update on the dog lovers

We invited our friends with the dogs for lunch and a boat ride, and we had a wonderful day out on our beautiful lake, and the pooches were nowhere in sight.
Everyone was happy, and since they have the idea about no dogs on our boat, all went perfectly. If this weather holds, we’ll do it again. Enjoy! We have 3 more days in a row of this.

tis 09-20-2019 04:15 PM

I would feel a little differently. I would understand that you don't want dogs, but I wouldn't go if I couldn't bring my dogs. And that would be fine. Of course maybe if I didn't have my own boats and my dogs always go with us, I would be more anxious for a ride. Now if I had BIG dogs, it would be different. I think it makes a difference if they are going to sit on your lap or slobber all around your boat. When we used to have bigger dogs, they didn't go everywhere with us.

RUGMAN 09-21-2019 07:14 AM

always wear PFD

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...1&d=1569068003

Sue Doe-Nym 09-21-2019 07:56 PM

That is one cute dog!