Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boat Insurance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24582)

nightrider 06-21-2019 12:09 PM

Boat Insurance

I just received my boat insurance renewal with progressive. With nothing changed except the boat is one year older, the premium increased by $60 over last year. Has anyone else experienced such an unwarranted increase?

iw8surf 06-21-2019 12:41 PM

Since 2017: my progressive policy has gone up, 70$ for 2018 and then 68$ for 2019. Next year I will be asking why or switching companies.

swnoel 06-21-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrider (Post 313778)
I just received my boat insurance renewal with progressive. With nothing changed except the boat is one year older, the premium increased by $60 over last year. Has anyone else experienced such an unwarranted increase?

Time to get another quote!

nightrider 06-21-2019 02:17 PM

Boat Insurance

Assuming no claims, how did your ins agent justify those increases? Mine said,"the rates just increased". BS response. I checked around. Other carriers as expensive or worse. I've never made a claim. How does the industry justify 15% or more increases every year?? It just doesn't make sense.

The Real BigGuy 06-21-2019 05:13 PM

Because they can. That’s what my former employer’ in’s agent told him

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Irish mist 06-21-2019 10:44 PM

Insurance companies do as they please. The state legislatures are full of insurance agents...how do you think they rigged your driving tickets? Insurance company's raise rates when you get fined & then they throttle you for hundreds & thousands of dollars in fines for years & years.

It was not always like this...It's an absolute abuse of the citizenry, but there's not much push-back in this generation of Americans

SAMIAM 06-22-2019 06:25 AM

I'd get a quote from BoatUS.
I've had good luck with them over the years

rick35 06-22-2019 08:20 AM

I’ve had BoatUS for years. I’ve never had a claim so I can’t speak to how good they are to deal with. They’re a subsidiary of Geico which is part of Berkshire Hathaway.

SAMIAM 06-23-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 313826)
I’ve had BoatUS for years. I’ve never had a claim so I can’t speak to how good they are to deal with. They’re a subsidiary of Geico which is part of Berkshire Hathaway.

Had a claim 3 years ago. They sent an adjuster to the marina, verified the work and paid the claim without any haggling.

The Real BigGuy 06-23-2019 06:41 AM

My only claims were pre-Geico. BoatUS’s response was outstanding. I think one was resolved over the phone, and the other had an adjuster on site the next day.

Descant 06-23-2019 04:36 PM

Boat value?

Hmmm. The OP made me check my renewals. Interesting that one boat is cheaper now and the other is more expensive, without any changes in coverage. Both are on the same policy. Net is a price increase in the range described by the OP, 6-7%. Time to adjust the policy to reflect that the boat's values aren't what they used to be.

TheProfessor 06-23-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 313800)
Because they can.

Whom do you think is paying for all of the flood damage all over the Midwest and South?

The Real BigGuy 06-23-2019 08:15 PM

Maybe me? My flood insurance has gone from 350 25 years ago to 2500. I live on a pond that hasn’t seen water levels come close to my house in the 40 + years I’ve lived there. And they change the flood lines about 5 years ago to higher elevations to capture more properties. What a scam

Cobalt 25 06-24-2019 09:28 AM

I have had very good service from BoatUS/Geico boat insurance both in price and claims. Premium was competitive or lower than others and they settled a claim quickly with no hassles.