Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Automotive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Re-Purposing Swim Noodles... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24324)

ApS 04-15-2019 06:16 AM

Re-Purposing Swim Noodles...

Long car trips can cause my heel to hurt at the car's floor. :(

Using a sharp knife, I split a swim noodle in half. Both halves were glued to the floormat, which raised my foot enough to totally avoid that pain. :look:

Using "Liquid Nails" as an adhesive has shown endurance for the past six months, although contact cement may be optimal.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/fullsc54.jpg

This may help in "Getting Here". :)

As I gather still more photographs, I hope to add a few more uses for swim noodles. Swim Noodles which, after tennis balls, are the most-likely flotsam to wash up on shore. So re-purpose these for free!

Biggd 04-15-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 309639)
Long car trips can cause my heel to hurt at the car's floor. :(

Using a sharp knife, I split a swim noodle in half. Both halves were glued to the floormat, which raised my foot enough to totally avoid that pain. :look:

Using "Liquid Nails" as an adhesive has shown endurance for the past six months, although contact cement may be optimal.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/fullsc54.jpg

This may help in "Getting Here". :)

As I gather still more photographs, I hope to add a few more uses for swim noodles. Swim Noodles which, after tennis balls, are the most-likely flotsam to wash up on shore. So re-purpose these for free!

FLL will be soooo happy! :D

Outdoorsman 04-15-2019 01:47 PM

As an added bonus, should you ever drive off a pier and land in lake Winni, you can just grab your floor mat and swim to safety.

fatlazyless 04-15-2019 01:57 PM

https://www.instructables.com/id/21-...r-Pool-Noodles

My fave is #16 ..... holds plant life upward .... is so useful!

As you probably heard, two years ago I constructed a new second floor with two bedrooms and a bathroom on my cottage, done entirely with high density, high strength, foam swim noodles purchased at the November, Gilford-Walmart noodle markdown ..... highest noodle quality, lowest noodle price in blue, red, and green!

Outdoorsman 04-15-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 309672)
https://www.instructables.com/id/21-...r-Pool-Noodles

My fave is #16 ..... holds plant life upward .... is so useful!

As you probably heard, two years ago I constructed a new second floor with two bedrooms and a bathroom on my cottage, done entirely with high density, high strength, foam swim noodles purchased at the November, Gilford-Walmart noodle markdown ..... highest noodle quality, lowest noodle price in blue, red, and green!

This is the first I am hearing about using noodles for plumbing.... KUDOS.

Now where did I put that funnel?

Biggd 04-15-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 309669)
As an added bonus, should you ever drive off a pier and land in lake Winni, you can just grab your wet noodle and swim to safety.

FYP. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

fatlazyless 04-23-2019 06:39 AM

..... 94-cent noodles

94-cent noodles is what's happening right now at the Plymouth Walmart ...... some strong looking material with dense, sturdy noodle material in green, red, and blue .... located way back in a corner of the store beyond the pharmacy, and to the right as you head toward the outdoor plants.

Good for making a swimmer's belt by threading a 3/8" line down through the center hole. Swimming the big lake is way more challenging than swimming a heated pool, and should probably be done with a swimmer's belt and some type of a wet suit top ..... even in July and August. If you is out there all alone, over 50-yards from shore, you will definitely be appreciat'n that 94-cent noodle. Unlike a pfd, a swim belt centers your buoyancy that's needed for swimming ...... something not done with a pfd .... swimming with a pfd is difficult ..... swimming with a noodle belt is a natural.

jbolty 04-23-2019 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
in texas ………...

fatlazyless 04-23-2019 07:29 AM

It should have a gray tarp as well, to protect the sides of the car, and help to shed the hail and rain. You know these noodles shielding the car from hail in Texas seem to be the same 94-cent noodles sold at the Plymouth Walmart ..... good for flotation ..... good for protective padding ..... wonder how much flammable .... will a single struck match set one a-flame?

Believe these noodles are 42" long x about 2.75" diameter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_noodle

Biggd 04-23-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 310150)
in texas ………...

As an added bonus, if it ends up in a flood it won't sink.:D

ApS 04-30-2019 04:53 AM

Another Re-Purposing for a Pool Noodle...

After Hurricane Irma flooded the garage with four feet of ocean water, a washer and dryer had to be replaced. :( (Plus ~$6000-worth of power tools). :( :(

While waiting for the new dryer, I noticed a copper hot water pipe that had been without the "proper" store-bought insulation installed everywhere else. The pipe was standing only ¼" (5mm) off a "cold" concrete wall, allowing it to radiate expensive heat to concrete and air. :(

It should be noted that residential copper pipe used on Florida's coasts will corrode-through—from the outside! :eek2:

As the pipes were hidden from view, I collected my various scraps of Pool Noodles, and devised Insulators-of-Many-Colors ;) :

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/fullsc58.jpg

The technique was to put a PVC pipe in a hollow Pool Noodle, and slice off the length(s) needed. Cut to the correct length, the Pool Noodles snapped right on. :coolsm:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/18/11/38/95/fullsc57.jpg

Note: The thread-starter post was moved from the Boating forum, even though it had met the criterion of, "...If it Floats...".

:confused: New, a Pool Noodle forum? :emb:

pm203 05-14-2019 10:23 PM

Not really a good idea. Anything that may get loose around the gas pedal, brake area should be avoided.

Kamper 05-15-2019 09:06 AM

There's tons of life-hacks for pool noodles and pipe noodles.

I used to use noodles sections on a float line. I put broom handles in two, to mark the gap to the dock, and weighted the bottoms so they'd float upright.

ApS 05-21-2019 02:32 AM

Hail in Texas...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 310150)
in texas ………...

Cars with extensive hail damage are frequently "totaled" by insurance companies. They're sold at auction so you can replace windows and fix the dents yourself. :rolleye2:

While there's a small wind-drag penalty in fuel economy, you don't have to fix the dents; however, some examples will provide a lot of good practice! :eek2:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

>

webmaster 05-30-2019 10:09 AM

I came across this and naturally thought of this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/commen...a_fishing_rod/

fatlazyless 06-09-2019 06:08 AM

Foam noodles costing from 94-cents up to 5-dollars seem to work remarkably good as a swimming aid simply because they are easily moved to different positions that center your buoyancy.

Water temps below 70 are cold and make you feel cold, as soon as you get wet, so having a noodle along for the ride in a kayak is pretty much a good safety back-up plan. Is comfy and easy to tread water in water temps down to about 60-degrees with a noodle ...... and very challenging ..... without a noodle.

Reading about someone drowning while kayaking here in NH usually makes me think how a pfd or a noodle could have made the difference?

Swimming a distance of 100-yards in the 64-degree Winni water is not so easy to do. Is not at all like a heated swim pool.

Top-Water 06-09-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 313104)
Reading about someone drowning while kayaking here in NH usually makes me think how a pfd or a noodle could have made the difference?

If you were thinking for real you would remind everyone in all these (flotation) foam noodle posts, that they are no substitute for a genuine coast guard approved personal flotation device.

Really? ..... pfd or a noodle..... why not tell them what they lawfully really need.

tis 06-09-2019 06:41 AM

Well, fll. I saw one you missed. Somebody made a dog collar out of a pool noodle instead of using a cone to keep it from licking it's wound.

fatlazyless 06-09-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 313109)
If you were thinking for real you would remind everyone in all these (flotation) foam noodle posts, that they are no substitute for a genuine coast guard approved personal flotation device.

Really? ..... pfd or a noodle..... why not tell them what they lawfully really need.

NH doesn't require boaters to actually be wearing a pfd ..... just to have it on-board and accessible ...... so's why not apply that same logic to motorcycle helmets ...... no need to wear a helmet ..... just have it accessible and carried on the motorcycle ..... no substitute for a genuine federal approved helmet?

When you flip a kayak .... is probably a lot easier to grab onto a 44" long noodle than to grab onto a pfd that you were not wearing.

Top-Water 06-09-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 313130)
NH doesn't require boaters to actually be wearing a pfd ..... just to have it on-board and accessible ...... so's why not apply that same logic to motorcycle helmets ...... no need to wear a helmet ..... just have it accessible and carried on the motorcycle ..... no substitute for a genuine federal approved helmet?

When you flip a kayak .... is probably a lot easier to grab onto a 44" long noodle than to grab onto a pfd that you were not wearing.

And the law requires you to have a PFD and has no requirement for a foam noodle.

Biggd 06-09-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 313130)

Having a PFD, even if not worn, can be a life saver.
A helmet is useless unless it's being worn.

joey2665 06-13-2019 05:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FLL was spotted swimming with his noodle yesterday.
Attachment 15004

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 06-13-2019 08:28 AM

.....ok....what is it? ..... a floating tree trunk or maybe an under water phone or electric power cable? ..... who knows, maybe the local utility co is working on a cable there? .... or maybe the yellow noodle is there to help identify an under water hazard .... another case of a yellow noodle to the rescue, here?

One thing for sure ..... it's not an alligator using a noodle!:laugh:

joey2665 06-13-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 313358)
.....ok....what is it? ..... a floating tree trunk or maybe an under water phone or electric power cable? ..... who knows, maybe the local utility co is working on a cable there? .... or maybe the yellow noodle is there to help identify an under water hazard .... another case of a yellow noodle to the rescue, here?

It is an alligator, taken in Florida :laugh:

fatlazyless 06-13-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 313359)
It is an alligator, taken in Florida :laugh:

.....highly unlikely to be a real alligator with a noodle like that ..... someone probably just miss-identified it as an alligator ... was probably placed there to identify an under water cable hazard for boaters and swimmers, or something.

ApS 06-13-2019 09:11 AM

Let It Go, Please...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 313360)
.....highly unlikely to be a real alligator with a noodle like that ..... someone probably just miss-identified it as an alligator ... was probably placed there to identify an under water cable hazard for boaters and swimmers, or something.

It's the less-frequently seen (and shy) American CROCODILE. :eek:

Both co-exist in deep-South Florida, and would appreciate pool-noodles to raise their cooler bodies to gain solar warmth. (Which could catch on!) :eek2: Did the pool-noodle owner surrender it...or...or...gulp...?

According to several news-coverages, the event really occurred. https://www.sciencealert.com/crocodi...s-swimming-aid (Snopes hasn't added this to their agenda—as a "Global Crisis" event).
:rolleye2:

fatlazyless 06-13-2019 09:42 AM

....oh yeah.....there's a second photograph with two Suzuki outboards and the yellow noodle that seems to better identify it as a real alligator swimming with a noodle so maybe it is a real alligator .... no ..... a crocodile ..... ?

...... a good one for that Ripley's Believe It or Not? .... but this second photo and the backup story with it makes it a head scratch-er? .... in Lake Winnipesaukee .... the only crocodiles you ever see are those little crocs on expensive thrift store shirts???

..... so, what did the crocodile say to the alligator ....... see you later, alligator! ..... after while, crocodile! ..... and don't forget to bring your yellow foam noodle!

kawishiwi 06-24-2019 10:30 PM

Euro Noodles

https://i.postimg.cc/vZLPP3Lh/20190618-110946.jpg

Spotted on a Paris street last week...a clearly professional level pool noodle product used to protect the citizens of France from scaffolding.

JEEPONLY 06-25-2019 05:05 PM

I think crocodoodle sounds better than allidoodle!

Se ya soon, baboon!

ApS 08-01-2019 06:54 AM

Rescue those Abandoned Pool Noodles!

When you're putting away your seasonal boots, an appropriate size of pool noodle will keep them from "wilting", crimping, perhaps wearing a permanent crease. :look:

ApS 10-15-2020 03:02 AM

Circulators, Bubbles, Garage...

Suggestion by Lakegeezer:

"After years of frustration about my neighbor's bubbler, I started using a tarp curtain to contain the warm water to their property. The top of the tarp is wrapped around swim noodles, using tie-wraps to hold them in place. Along the bottom, a chain is wrapped with the tarp and again, tie-wraps are used to keep it there. Some years, I deploy the tarp before the ice sets in, but other years, I've use a chain saw to cut a slot in the ice. That helps install with precision. It works best if the tarp is curved, to direct the moving water back towards their dock. It gives me a week or more longer access to the lake on both sides of the season."

Another use--in the garage:

Where opening a car's door might strike a wall, attach a swim noodle where the door might ding (or already has, dinged) the wall.

Kamper 03-05-2021 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
something new for an old thread

WinnisquamZ 03-05-2021 10:06 AM

My personal best is when they are placed on top of a 5 gallon bucket for porta potty’s

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 03-05-2021 10:53 AM

A vent window at the front would be way better than this set-up. Vent windows with those swivel snap catches were the best ...... way better than any danged foam noodle used like that.

With a vent window open a couple inches, the big window could be closed totally or most of the way, and it would be better. Having to use a foam noodle like that shows the design is not too user friendly.

ApS 04-25-2023 01:54 PM

Got a Wet Blanket...?

For drying outdoors, put a pool noodle on your clothesline!

:idea:

No creases to see... :look:

https://www.housedigest.com/1260940/...rying-clothes/

ishoot308 04-25-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 382974)
For drying outdoors, put a pool noodle on your clothesline!

:idea:
:D:laugh:
:eek::eek::D:eek::eek:
No creases to see... :look::eek:

https://www.housedigest.com/1260940/...rying-clothes/

APS….I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you have contracted the dreaded “FLLitis”. There is no known cure….:eek::D:laugh::laugh:

Dan

upthesaukee 04-25-2023 06:32 PM

Sharp eyes needed

For those with sharp eyes, you may have seen an item from our very own FLL in this morning's Laconia Daily Sun (April 25th). Good job, FLL!

Dave

Susie Cougar 04-25-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 382976)
For those with sharp eyes, you may have seen an item from our very own FLL in this morning's Laconia Daily Sun (April 25th). Good job, FLL!

Dave

I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed that FLL was writing in the Laconia paper. Thanks for pointing that out.

fatlazyless 04-26-2023 05:09 AM

The LaDaSun question-of-the-week recently asked: 'What's your favorite water sports item?' in 150-words or less, so I sent in a message of exactly 150-words. You know the LaDaSun edited my 150-words by removing the $2.99 price which I mentioned twice, plus removed the brand name O'Neill from the O'Neill thermo top, a $60 black swim top designed to get soaking wet but still keep you warm, plus some other edits. So, the LaDaSun's editing made my 150-words a lot LESS informational for the reader. Price and brand names are important.

Hey there water activity people, Hannafords' in Meredith recently got in a huge shipment of very high quality foam noodles, priced at a super low $2.99-price. About 44" x 2.5" of strong, dense foam with super flotation, good for swimming the wind, waves, and boat wakes that Lake Winnipesaukee can whip up!

8gv 04-26-2023 07:50 AM

44" x 2.5" noodles?

BBQ intense swimmers might want to get two!